Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM

16 posts, read 65,012 times

Advertisements

Moving from WI to work at mt. sinai hospital....looking for safe apt/apt building on pink line (or transferrable to the line) in the city or north chitown $900max. Anyone know of any reasonably stylin' apts? thanks!Suzanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne090 View Post
Moving from WI to work at mt. sinai hospital....looking for safe apt/apt building on pink line (or transferrable to the line) in the city or north chitown $900max. Anyone know of any reasonably stylin' apts? thanks!Suzanne
About the only worthwhile area along the Pink Line that I can think of in the City proper would be near the 18th St. stop in the northwest part of Pilsen. I don't know what rent prices are like over there, and it's very urban so you may want to check it out before you commit to ensure you'd be comfortable there. Just west of that along the Pink Line are North and South Lawndale. These are very troubled neighborhoods that are predominantly low income with very high crime rates. I can almost guarantee you wouldn't like it over there. West of that is Cicero, which is better but still very salty. Some parts are safe but you have to choose carefully.

You might want to check along Cermak Road in Berwyn. It's city-esque in that area, relatively safe, and a 5-10 minute bus ride to the Pink Line depending on where you are. I'm sure you could get a decent apartment in your price range. Give these guys a call...

About » Berwyn Housing Center

Old 05-20-2008, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the info--i'll check them out. I may have to look in lakeview/uptown and abandon my dream of going carless. does anyone trust any apt. brokers? I've heard mixed results...

Old 05-20-2008, 03:18 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Or you could just live in Lakeview/Lincoln Park and take the Brown Line to Washington/Wells in the morning, switch to the Pink Line, and you'd go straight out west towards work. Coming home you could just switch at the Pink Line's first stop in the loop to the Brown Line, and again, you'd be heading straight out of the loop on the Brown Line up north. It might take you a little longer to get there, but the train ride usually isn't that bad. Just read a book, listen to music, decompress...

The #18 and #38 buses will also pick you up from the hospistal and drop you off at either the Polk Pink line station or the 18th Street Station within a few minutes. From there it's only 3-4 quick stops to the Brown Line. That's not really too bad, and both buses go there, so you'd have a good chance of happening upon one.

Or just get a car....but I find the train is MUCH less of a hassle compared to a car, especially with gas getting so expensive.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
About the only worthwhile area along the Pink Line that I can think of in the City proper would be near the 18th St. stop in the northwest part of Pilsen.
What's wrong with Little Italy?

That's my recommendation, anything between Racine and the Medical District along the Taylor corridor.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 PM

Yes, that strip would be easily accessible to the Pink Line's Polk stop which could take you southwest to Mt. Sinai. Very desirable area with a lot to do and a lot of students, though I don't know what rents are like there.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:30 AM

oh, ha, ha, i neglected to say that I have my trusted honda, but i fear she may have but a few years to live!! And i've always believed that if you want to save a million bucks, don't own a car (although it's represented freedome to me--what a conundrum)! thanks for the info and i just have to check out the parameters of lil' italy i suppose--bring on the canoli....S

Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 AM

what specific streets are on the medical district, and what's the taylor corridor (can u tell i'm a newbie?!) you guys are great for helping me out....

Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Taylor Corridor = the area around Taylor Street, which is the main strip through Little Italy. The Medical District basically starts west of Ashland Avenue. There's not a lot of residences in the Medical District since it's mostly a collection of hospitals and parking lots. So you'd want to look east of Ashland Avenue, but probably west of Racine, otherwise the walk to the Polk station gets kind of long.

Here is a map of the area. Follow Polk Street to just west of Ashland and you'll see a little blue square with an M in it. That's the Polk Street station of the Pink Line. Ideally, you'd want to look for a place inside the square bound by Harrison to the north, Roosevelt to the south, Racine to the east and Ashland to the west.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Yes, and drag the map southwest until you come to another "M" called "California-Cermak" (roughly 21st and California). That will be your Pink Line stop for Mt. Sinai. You will note the hospital is 4 blocks or so north of the stop. Anyone know how safe this walk is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago