Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times

Advertisements

A super-strong, impressive win for Chicago ... given the fact they were in Miami's 'house' and fielding players nursing injuries. And where was Rose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
So, what is your definition of average range when the mean is 45%?
First of all, as previously stated, average range may be defined in several ways. Lastly, for future reference, if you'd like me to play the role of statistics professor the least you can do is create your own thread first, and then pay me to figure out your problems.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 05-07-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
First of all, as previously stated, average range may be defined in several ways. Lastly, for future reference, if you'd like me to play the role of statistics professor the least you can do is create your own thread first, and then pay me to figure out your problems.
You appear to have our roles reversed. I'm well aware of how average ranges can be defined, since I learned that in the first week of the first of my seven undergraduate, master's, and doctoral-level statistics classes, but thanks, professor. My question was what sort of twisted definition of "average" you are personally using where a 47% percent shooter isn't "average range" when the mean is 45%. Unless the standard deviation is something like 1%, that makes no sense. Maybe NBA players are all above average to you, like the children of Lake Wobegon?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
... thanks, professor.
You're welcome. But, you could have simply made me a pie chart and I would have been impressed.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 05-07-2013 at 02:27 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
You're welcome. Now, all you need is a pie chart.
Pretending to have a broken sarcasm detector is not really an effective way to dodge a question.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Pretending to have a broken sarcasm detector is not really an effective way to dodge a question.
With all due respect, I answered your question twice (post #68 & #72). And, I notice you didn't disagree with me, but instead took the opportunity to bloviate about yourself... which by the way, does absolutely nothing for me. But, whatever. People try to impress me all the time. I get it.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Maybe NBA players are all above average to you, like the children of Lake Wobegon?
In all seriousness/a side topic, when the hell did they all get so BIG? I remember when MJ was around he was considered a tall dude, and guys who were significantly taller tended to be pretty skinny and/or clumsy (exceptions here and there, of course).

Now it seems like the ranks of guys 6'9+ is quite sizeable, and they actually all look well-proportioned and muscular. Better vitamins? A few generations of NBA-sized folks intermarrying in that height range?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
In all seriousness/a side topic, when the hell did they all get so BIG? I remember when MJ was around he was considered a tall dude, and guys who were significantly taller tended to be pretty skinny and/or clumsy (exceptions here and there, of course).

Now it seems like the ranks of guys 6'9+ is quite sizeable, and they actually all look well-proportioned and muscular. Better vitamins? A few generations of NBA-sized folks intermarrying in that height range?
Muscle building techniques(Vitamin, protein, exercises) didn't really start taking off till the 80s.
And that's in general, not just sports

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

Thats in every sport. NFL, high school athletes, etc. It's called progress. Humans and society are constantly evolving and getting better. Look at what 1st graders are learning in school now compared to what their parents were being taught.

There is also better training and more money being pumped into sports. They have also changed the rules in the NBA since back in the 80's that make it more beneficial to be stronger and more powerful, and making the jump shot have less of an advantage over driving to the hoop. A lot of these rules were made to increase scoring.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Thats in every sport. NFL, high school athletes, etc. It's called progress. Humans and society are constantly evolving and getting better. Look at what 1st graders are learning in school now compared to what their parents were being taught.

There is also better training and more money being pumped into sports. They have also changed the rules in the NBA since back in the 80's that make it more beneficial to be stronger and more powerful, and making the jump shot have less of an advantage over driving to the hoop. A lot of these rules were made to increase scoring.
NBA games circa 1970 were often in the 115-112 or 120-113 range, and occasionally higher; ball movement and passing were more crisp, and there was much less usage of the "2-man" game, which slows everything down..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago