Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Or is it more laid back?
It really depends on what your lifestyle is. Your state of mind makes a big difference as well. Chicago is a little bit more laid back in my opinion because the pressure is not as great to succeed in Chicago because the cost of living is less than NYC. You can breath a lot better ounce you leave Chicago city limits going north to Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Interesting. Are you sure it's been that recent, though? I have family and friends in Brooklyn where the buildings are well over 100 years old and there are no alleys. I don't see any signs of them in most of Manhattan, either.
I'm not familiar with Brooklyn, but I know for a fact that Manhattan had alleys up until the early 90s.

My girlfriends and I used to walk past them after partying from the clubs.

Also, check out any movies or TV shows from that time, the restaurants and building people used to place the garbage in tin cans in the alleyways, then the dumpsters quickly followed. The show Law & Order (all of their franchises) always show someone being found dead in an alley or behind a dumpster in one, so there are some still left. Where, I couldn't tell you.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm not familiar with Brooklyn, but I know for a fact that Manhattan had alleys up until the early 90s.

I just find it very hard to believe that they built new buildings over all of the alleys on the entire island in less than a decade. (I was first there in 2000.) There has to be something we're missing here.

Quote:
Also, check out any movies or TV shows from that time, the restaurants and building people used to place the garbage in tin cans in the alleyways, then the dumpsters quickly followed. The show Law & Order (all of their franchises) always show someone being found dead in an alley or behind a dumpster in one, so there are some still left. Where, I couldn't tell you.
It's actually pretty well known that all of the "alley" shots depicted in NYC in movies and TV are filmed in the same alley (when they're even filmed in NYC at all), which is literally one of the only alleys in Manhattan.

'New York is Not a City of Alleys': A Film Location Scout's Pet Peeves - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities

For some reason Hollywood really wants alleys to be a common thing in New York, even though they're not in real life.

The reason the more recent Batman movies were filmed in Chicago was that they wanted the new, darker version of Gotham to have a lot of alleys, even though Gotham has usually been thought of as being a fictionalized Manhattan more than a fictionalized Chicago.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,557 times
Quote:

Our grid system did not leave room for them. Are you sure you are not mistaking some of the indentations in buildings where garbage cans are kept (for example, my last building had an alley that ran from 140th to 141st, but it was narrow and was used to hold garbage only) as alley ways. However, even if we did have smaller alleys that held dumpsters, our trash has always been placed on the street.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
Our grid system did not leave room for them. Are you sure you are not mistaking some of the indentations in buildings where garbage cans are kept (for example, my last building had an alley that ran from 140th to 141st, but it was narrow and was used to hold garbage only) as alley ways. However, even if we did have smaller alleys that held dumpsters, our trash has always been placed on the street.
This makes sense, and fits with my understanding. There are old buildings (not just ones built since the 90's) backed up right next to each other with nothing between them all over the place there.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Interesting. Are you sure it's been that recent, though? I have family and friends in Brooklyn where the buildings are well over 100 years old and there are no alleys. I don't see any signs of them in most of Manhattan, either.
No, it is not recent. The original plan in 1811 did not provide for service alleys when the Manhattan grid was created. Brooklyn apparently adheres even more closely to the commissioner's plan of 1811.

MID- AND EASTERN BROOKLYN ALLEYS | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carson View Post
Women- Flat out...women in New York blow Chicago out of the ****in water. I am still in total disbelief of how many gorgeous women I witnessed in a 2 week period, unbelievable. Where Chicago has many pretty caucasian women, average hispanic women, and ok looking black women... NY has GORGEOUS women of all ethnic groups (Jamaican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Belize, Black, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, European) with fairly decent attitudes. The hispanic women in NY will make one file for divorce and rethink his life plan. And I couldnt get enough of those Italian gals from Staten and Jersey...mm mmmm

Racism/prejudice- Now this is the reason I am ready to abandon this city. Throughout my visit to New York, I for once in my life felt like a man and not a "black man"....catch my drift. In Chicago, racism and prejudgement is par for the course, you WILL be judged by race and being that the bulk of the Chicago population are really transplants from suburban Chicago and other midwest cities most of the non-black people have never dealt with black people before moving here, therefore you get treated according to their cultural ignorance. Chicago is a "white" city and you are reminded of it every single day. Where as New York is a world city, there is no one ethnic group that has dominant influence. In Chicago if you arent a "Chad/Trixie" or a yuppie you get no respect, there is a low tolerance for differences in this city. But the New York caucasians completely changed my attitude towards white people, they are ****in REAL, down to earth, and truly sincere!!! They have a respect for black culture and can hold a converstion about hip-hop with the best of them. No pretentious midwest racist bull****. The black people in New York are intelligent, aware, and have a sense of worldliness to them unlike the Chicago blacks who are either ghetto/ignorant or poser wannabe buppies who are really a little ghetto deep down but close minded nevertheless. I blame most of this on the segregation of the communities. Enough of this cities disgust.

Food-New York has great restaurants all across the board from fine dining to corner vendors. The NY hotdog imo is superior to the Chicago hotdog and the fact that you can still get one on any corner Manhattan makes it a winner in my book. But the thing that make NY better than Chicago foodwise is the fact that you can find a variety of mom and pop kind of delis and mini restaurants all over of different ethnicities, where in Chicago all we seem to have is franchises all over 6000 Subways and Chipotles with nothing to balance it out.

Shopping- LMAO!!!!!Soho alone blows out Chicago as a whole...just my opinion.

Housing- New York has a modern feel where as Chi Town is old and the forefront old.

Did I mention women? Yea I did, what the hell...those NY women are definitely worth another go. And there all over unlike Chicago where you may see a beautiful one every 20 minutes downtown, NO they are all over the ****ing place and on every corner.

The best thing about NY is that people dont ****ing constantly judge your every move and you feel a sense of freedom because nobody really gives a ****. whereas Chicago if you do, say or wear what people consider "wrong" you will be rejected/shunned.

So thats my asessment of NY. Final analysis......New York is a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better city than Rahm's Cow we know as Chicago.
So when are you leaving????

Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPage Co View Post
Why should he leave? Diversity is a strength!
Diversity is a strength when there's a positive impact. There's no positive impact here.

You guys should be less obvious about this. I mean really. These forums have mainly been free of racist and bigoted drivel, give or take a few times, for awhile. All of a sudden, someone comes in and starts it, gets banned, and then within a few hours another person joins saying the same exact things, followed by another person joining saying similar things, then another agreeing with them all.

Next time you guys all try this, I would suggest doing it a little bit more slowly. It's really obvious and frankly not very smart for trying to fool people that none of you know each other in some way. You guys really failed at pulling this off I have to say. Next time, don't be so obvious.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Chicago is definitely more laid back than NYC but I don't think I'd call NYC stressful. The only thing stressful about NYC, for me, is trying to figure out where to go eat on my visits.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Chicago is definitely more laid back than NYC but I don't think I'd call NYC stressful. The only thing stressful about NYC, for me, is trying to figure out where to go eat on my visits.
Visiting and living in NYC are come tell different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago