Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Apparently not.
well being extremely familiar with both, and assuming you are as well, perhaps you can explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM

465 posts, read 872,566 times
All I'm saying is that the Loop/Near North Side is very clean. I don't get the "Chicago is clean, other cities aren't" stereotype anywhere else.

I mean, is Lakeview clean? Seriously? That Belmont corridor isn't very clean. It isn't filthy or anything, but it's not like I would stroll down Belmont and think I'm in Salzburg or something. It still has garbage blowing around, and normal urban "stuff".

If I compared Belmont in Lakeview to, say, 7th Ave. in Park Slope (Brooklyn) or South Street in Philly, I don't see some gigantic difference. That's all. I'm guessing the "Chicago is clean" stereotype is from visitors sticking to Michigan Ave. and the like. I don't think it's true on a citywide basis.

I will admit Philly is kinda dirty, even for U.S. city standards. So it's a bit of an outlier. NYC, not so much, I don't think. Especially not considering the pedestrian volume.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
All I'm saying is that the Loop/Near North Side is very clean. I don't get the "Chicago is clean, other cities aren't" stereotype anywhere else.

I mean, is Lakeview clean? Seriously? That Belmont corridor isn't very clean. It isn't filthy or anything, but it's not like I would stroll down Belmont and think I'm in Salzburg or something. It still has garbage blowing around, and normal urban "stuff".

If I compared Belmont in Lakeview to, say, 7th Ave. in Park Slope (Brooklyn) or South Street in Philly, I don't see some gigantic difference. That's all. I'm guessing the "Chicago is clean" stereotype is from visitors sticking to Michigan Ave. and the like. I don't think it's true on a citywide basis.

I will admit Philly is kinda dirty, even for U.S. city standards. So it's a bit of an outlier. NYC, not so much, I don't think. Especially not considering the pedestrian volume.
Well the obvious difference is you won't see litterally thousands of garbage bags parked out on the curb after 8pm (or whatever time its allowed) like you will in NYC; I do agree with you though, that beyond the garbage issue, Chicago isn't that much cleaner than other major cities (NYC, Philly)

Chicago also doesn't have the stench NYC can have in the summer.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Well the obvious difference is you won't see litterally thousands of garbage bags parked out on the curb after 8pm (or whatever time its allowed) like you will in NYC; I do agree with you though, that beyond the garbage issue, Chicago isn't that much cleaner than other major cities (NYC, Philly)

Chicago also doesn't have the stench NYC can have in the summer.
I agree with all this. To me, though, a garbage bag isn't what I was thinking of. That, to me, is clean, not unclean.

To me, dirty is crap on the streets. McDonalds wrappers, cigarette butts, etc. Garbage cans, garbage bags, and the like are just methods for disposal.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM

778 posts, read 998,271 times
Quote:
I don't see how NYC is dirtier than Chicago. Philly maybe a bit dirtier, but not by much.

Are people only comparing the Loop/Near North Side to these cities? Then I agree.

But comparing the South Side to Brooklyn? No way. I don't see how Chicago is particularly clean relative to other cities.

You need to spend more time in NYC, Philly and Chicago then.

NYC is without question, dirtier. Chicago wins on the waste management front. It also smells much better. Downtown Chicago is virtually spotless.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Come on. I love it, lived there long enough, still in NY but moving soon. NYC is pretty dirty on average, especially in comparison with even other world cities. There are cities in Asia with more people that are spotless.

Chicago is like a damn Canadian city when it comes to cleanliness.

For a city of nearly 3 million, in the US.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
I agree with all this. To me, though, a garbage bag isn't what I was thinking of. That, to me, is clean, not unclean.

To me, dirty is crap on the streets. McDonalds wrappers, cigarette butts, etc. Garbage cans, garbage bags, and the like are just methods for disposal.
The garbage bags on the street aren't self-contained odor-free little bundles. How often are they ripped, torn, bulging, gone-through, scattered, leaking, stinking or spreading trash? Pretty often. That happens with garbage in Chicago too, I'm sure, but it's happening in alleys, not on the sidewalk.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
The garbage bags on the street aren't self-contained odor-free little bundles. How often are they ripped, torn, bulging, gone-through, scattered, leaking, stinking or spreading trash? Pretty often. That happens with garbage in Chicago too, I'm sure, but it's happening in alleys, not on the sidewalk.
Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I don't see a difference.

A garbage bag is dirty if it's on a street sidewalk, but it's not dirty if it's in an alley? They're both public right-of-ways. I don't see why a city is less dirty if a garbage back is in the back of a building instead of the front of a building, and I'm not getting this "Chicago looks like a Canadian city" idea.

I don't think it's true. And 95% of Chicago isn't in the Loop or Michigan Ave., so obviously I'm not looking at those two areas.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
A garbage bag sitting on a sidewalk is very different from a garbage bag in a can in an alley.

You can't avoid the smell in summer in NYC.

In Chicago, don't walk in the alley and you're fine.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM

PA Born, you need to spend more time or pay more attention next time youre in these cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago