Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
I don't see how NYC is dirtier than Chicago. Philly maybe a bit dirtier, but not by much.

Are people only comparing the Loop/Near North Side to these cities? Then I agree.

But comparing the South Side to Brooklyn? No way. I don't see how Chicago is particularly clean relative to other cities.
The south side is a big place; I've been to a large portion of the south side and the areas I saw were cleaner, on average, than New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
I don't see how NYC is dirtier than Chicago. Philly maybe a bit dirtier, but not by much.

Are people only comparing the Loop/Near North Side to these cities? Then I agree.

But comparing the South Side to Brooklyn? No way. I don't see how Chicago is particularly clean relative to other cities.
Eh, not gonna say Chicago is the cleanest, but it's alot cleaner than most major cities especially it's peers in the U.S.

Chicago's nicer parts are much cleaner than NYC, LA or SF's nicer parts. Of course Chicago's ghettos/poor areas are dirty, but aren't NYC's, LA's and SF"s as well, if not MORE?

The point is on average Chicago is much cleaner than it's peers, be it if it's the Loop or North Side.

Also why would you compare the South Side to Brookyln?! It would make more sense to compare the South Side to the Bronx right? Perhaps Brooklyn is cleaner than the south side on average, but I highly doubt the south side is dirtier than the Bronx. Right?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Eh, not gonna say Chicago is the cleanest, but it's alot cleaner than most major cities especially it's peers in the U.S.

Chicago's nicer parts are much cleaner than NYC, LA or SF's nicer parts. Of course Chicago's ghettos/poor areas are dirty, but aren't NYC's, LA's and SF"s as well, if not MORE?

The point is on average Chicago is much cleaner than it's peers, be it if it's the Loop or North Side.

Also why would you compare the South Side to Brookyln?! It would make more sense to compare the South Side to the Bronx right? Perhaps Brooklyn is cleaner than the south side on average, but I highly doubt the south side is dirtier than the Bronx. Right?
I'm not sure what difference it makes comparing the south side to the Bronx as opposed to Brooklyn. Either way, not sure how you could come to the conclussion that Brooklyn on avg is cleaner, I actually think Brooklyn is the least clean of all the boroughs

Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:

Have you been to Brooklyn? Most of it is pretty dirty by Chicago standards.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I'm not sure what difference it makes comparing the south side to the Bronx as opposed to Brooklyn. Either way, not sure how you could come to the conclussion that Brooklyn on avg is cleaner, I actually think Brooklyn is the least clean of all the boroughs
Never said that Brooklyn was cleaner, I was just throwing it out there that it's more fair to compare the cleanliness of a downtown to another than comparing a downtown to a neighborhoods. So I was just saying comparing the southside to the Bronx would be the most fair IMO.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Maybe to clean this all up so to speak, could someone provide evidence to the cleanliness of the areas in question. Pictures seem to work. Feel free to post pictures of clean areas of your favorite city, be it Chicago, New York, or Philly.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Never said that Brooklyn was cleaner, I was just throwing it out there that it's more fair to compare the cleanliness of a downtown to another than comparing a downtown to a neighborhoods. So I was just saying comparing the southside to the Bronx would be the most fair IMO.
what are you defining as a "downtown"? Brooklyn? South Side? Bronx?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
what are you defining as a "downtown"? Brooklyn? South Side? Bronx?
You are taking my words too literally. When did I say downtown Brooklyn. The downtown statement I made was general one. All I am saying is if you are going to compare areas of two cities make sure they are somewhat equal in what they are. For instance if comparing Chicago's clean downtown to San Francisco's downtown ok. But comparing Chicago's downtown to Russian Hill when it comes to cleanliness then it doesn't make sense. Just like you wouldn't compare how clean Lincoln Park is to Englewood because they really demographically and structurally very different neighborhoods. All I am saying is don't compare the Loop to Brooklyn and don't compare Brooklyn to the southside. Compare the Loop to Manhattan, compare Brooklyn to the northside and compare the southside to the Bronx.

Geez, some of you!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
You are taking my words too literally. When did I say downtown Brooklyn. The downtown statement I made was general one. All I am saying is if you are going to compare areas of two cities make sure they are somewhat equal in what they are. For instance if comparing Chicago's clean downtown to San Francisco's downtown ok. But comparing Chicago's downtown to Russian Hill when it comes to cleanliness then it doesn't make sense. Just like you wouldn't compare how clean Lincoln Park is to Englewood because they really demographically and structurally very different neighborhoods. All I am saying is don't compare the Loop to Brooklyn and don't compare Brooklyn to the southside. Compare the Loop to Manhattan, compare Brooklyn to the northside and compare the southside to the Bronx.

Geez, some of you!
I guess I don't understand how Brooklyn/South Side is any different than Bronx/South Side.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I guess I don't understand how Brooklyn/South Side is any different than Bronx/South Side.
Apparently not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago