Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM

183 posts, read 339,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
A similar situation: Devon, from Western to California.
Agree, but I'd say Devon, Western to Kedzie. Very tedious. Use Granvile instead, except all those stop signs on Granville are pretty tedious too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
oh yeah, Lawrence Ave on a Saturday afternoon, between California and Western SUCKS! that traffic is too slow.

I'd go down to Irving and take that. Forget Foster Ave, too slow, I think its the buses that take up the room, since there is not a lot of lanes to travel and cars are parked on the weekend on these streets. Actually I might go up farther north to Dempster for that reason.

Actually Petersen St is one of the best streets because it is residential, so therefore, less cars and seems like the street is wider.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 AM

483 posts, read 842,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Actually Petersen St is one of the best streets because it is residential, so therefore, less cars and seems like the street is wider.
Petersen benefits from being alongside that big cemetery and a few other big chunks of land that cut off intersecting north/south streets, which means it can move relatively unimpeded at times.

But, ummm, all those zombies and localized-earthquakes on Petersen tend to slow it down, especially westbound during morning rush hour and vice versa. So, yeah, no one should drive on Petersen at those times. Please.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Use Foster if you can, not nearly as congested, though I think there's a detour near Northeastern University at the moment.

If you're taking Lawrence W to get to the Kennedy, I just go south to Irving Park and take that. It's 4 lanes giving you the ability to weave in/out of traffic. Plus, it's 1+ miles closer to getting on the Kennedy than on Lawrence, (yes, I realize if you're going west on the K, that you're backtracking).

Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM

117 posts, read 302,885 times
Quote:
oh yeah, Lawrence Ave on a Saturday afternoon, between California and Western SUCKS! that traffic is too slow.

I'd go down to Irving and take that. Forget Foster Ave, too slow, I think its the buses that take up the room, since there is not a lot of lanes to travel and cars are parked on the weekend on these streets. Actually I might go up farther north to Dempster for that reason.
Actually, traffic on Irving between California and Western can be really slow, especially in the mornings, when everyone's driving to work. They're doing construction on that street, and there's a lane narrowing that REALLY slows the traffic down.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:17 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Quote:
Peterson is only residential on a small strip as Elmdale. Otherwise, it's a pretty busy thoroughfare from Clark until it curves up into Caldwell.

I also agree that Bryn Mawr moves pretty well. I just wish that the cemetary didn't block it. You're forced to either head north to Peterson, or weave through Bowmanville to pick it up again, at which point it's so slow, it's not worth taking.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:37 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yet another reason to link the Brown Line to the Blue Line as a subway under Lawrence.
hmm...your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBay View Post
Use Wilson ave!
Shaddup! That's a secret.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Shaddup! That's a secret.
Wilson is so slow, way too many stop signs.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:21 AM

117 posts, read 302,885 times
I forgot to mention that Kedzie between Montrose and Lawrence can get crowded because of the stupid train. Why couldn't they build the tracks above ground?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago