Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Unfortunately fear sells. As long as people keep buying it, they're going to keep selling it.
Life is not a movie. Hollywood created this crap and dull minded youth fall for it- Their values and ideas of manhood are generated by the money grabbing SOB parasites who write and produce socially destructive scripts.

You can say what you want but this fast and loose gun handling is a taught and leaned behavior...Going back a few years you could walk into a video store and every second package had a pick of some actor with a pistol....Kids grew up watching this stuff and a poor culture with no culture adopted this fake culture as a real culture and their OWN culture- Don't tell me that Hollywood is not to blame- If bad art never existed..and California had slid into the Pacific 40 years ago there would be one tenth of one percent as much gun abuse...
today.

People sit and wonder how all this horrific culture emerged - well I just told you- It was taught.....Prior to the advent of the Hollywood gun movie.....Black youth may have used a knife on the rare occasion....just like anyone else..

If those idiots in Hollywood who make billions of dollars are so inclined to "Give back" _ Let the people who made money through the portrayal of gun violence...dish out a billion or two on healing the wound they opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:08 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Gang members continue to expand their horizons. Perhaps the murders will become a bit more evenly distributed throughout the city...lol.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
The media is sensational but heavy reporting of a gang shooting on the Mag Mile is not really sensational. It's pretty big news.

I mean it's a pretty dramatic event.

Anything that makes a murder unique is news.

There are thousands of murders a month in this country.

So why is it news when a mother kills her children etc.

Because it is unique and bizarre.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 AM

11 posts, read 37,643 times
Shooting on Mag Mile are definitely not common -- yes, this is a big city and violence is bound to occur (especially in the summer with these warm temps) -- but this growing violence and flash mobbing in good areas is unacceptable. What about the poor guy who got his throat slashed last night walking his dog in Wrigleyville? Wrigleyville Man's Throat Slashed in Random Attack | NBC Chicago

Why is there not more police presence in this big city?! Sure they are isolated events but why are they letting these thugs take over and instill fear?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betsyboop09 View Post
Shooting on Mag Mile are definitely not common -- yes, this is a big city and violence is bound to occur (especially in the summer with these warm temps) -- but this growing violence and flash mobbing in good areas is unacceptable. What about the poor guy who got his throat slashed last night walking his dog in Wrigleyville? Wrigleyville Man's Throat Slashed in Random Attack | NBC Chicago

Why is there not more police presence in this big city?! Sure they are isolated events but why are they letting these thugs take over and instill fear?
The "flash mob" attacks never involved guns, and I wasn't aware that Wrigleyville is anywhere near the Mag Mile. The slashing story is still messed up regardless.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 AM

376 posts, read 489,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Life is not a movie. Hollywood created this crap and dull minded youth fall for it- Their values and ideas of manhood are generated by the money grabbing SOB parasites who write and produce socially destructive scripts.

You can say what you want but this fast and loose gun handling is a taught and leaned behavior...

People sit and wonder how all this horrific culture emerged - well I just told you- It was taught.....Prior to the advent of the Hollywood gun movie.....Black youth may have used a knife on the rare occasion....just like anyone else..
There is something to what you say, Oleg. But its not like we have ravening hoardes of middle class suburbanites shooting each other over lawn boundary disputes. the point is that some cultures can take this Hollywood fluff with a grain of salt, and others don't seem able to do so. The same goes for other aspects of Hollywood other than gun culture, too.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
I'm right here right now and its fine.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I'm right here right now and its fine.
Better get out before nightfall.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
A half-mile is six blocks in most cities. So the answer is YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
I'm going to be working on N. Michigan Ave. in The Loop. Is that area safe? I looked at a map and this shooting doesn't seem too far from my office, like a half mile.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
A half-mile is six blocks in most cities. So the answer is YES!
And in the case of Chicago, 4 city blocks (i.e. the difference between 450 Michigan and 850 Michigan) is 1/2 mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago