Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times

Advertisements

Even if the cops could do almost anything they wanted as far as racial profiling goes, I think they're so understaffed and running from call to call -- they're so overwhelmed REacting they don't have time to do anything PROactive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 PM

300 posts, read 639,334 times
Default Of Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
I'm going to be working on N. Michigan Ave. in The Loop. Is that area safe? I looked at a map and this shooting doesn't seem too far from my office, like a half mile.
Of course! Are you kidding me? much doesnt happen here, and this is probably the first of it's kind to happen in the Loop Area. Michigan Ave in the Loop is usually filled with Teens and 20 year olds. The Loop doesnt have much crime other then some muggings,purse snatching, and stuff like that.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 PM

306 posts, read 701,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Half a million people walking about every single day a one shooting every year or so. You're much more likely to get hit by a car than a bullet.

PS: Coming from Boston, you're DEFINITELY more likely to get hit by a car in Boston than by a bullet in downtown Chicago!
Ha! Very true. Can a major city/region have a more useless, obnoxious road system? Boston sucked. I'm so excited to leave. Chicago next week... woohoo! Point taken on the odds of getting shot vs. other bad things.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:46 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Believe you will tend to find the people a bit more welcome than the folks in Boston.

Last night heading home at 10pm I counted the number of police driving down Michigan

From Randolph to Roosevelt I had counted 3 squad cars and at least 4 officers walking the streets.

granted this is farther south than N Michigan but point is I did not notice anything out of the ordinary.

To me the stretch seemed just as it was 5 , 6 or 7 years ago.
Busy with activity people having fun and enjoying a nice summer night.

This non sense about the area being dangerous is being embellished by the media.
Keep in mind the media and the journalists are nothing short of sales people pitching their product.

The product being gloom and doom and anything to sell a story and get you to stay tuned.

Unfortunately in any location with a high number of people your going to have a mugging or even a random act of violence its just part of being in a large city.

The overall consensus on this board has been stay away from areas you do not know.
Do not deal in heroin , crack cocaine or any other illegal substance.

Each and every shooting that I have read has been some way connected to a gang affiliation.

Know your surroundings well and know how to vacate an area if needed..

The police are heavily patrolling the downtown area and points where tourists are located
its very safe

Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Native 773 View Post
What do you guys think should racial profiling be used? Why or why not.
Well, the vast majority of black youth are not in any gang. Profiling them would be prejudging them based on race. You know, racial prejudice. We profile criminals based on relevant factors, not race. Paying cash for a plane ticket is a relevant factor -- being a swarthy male is not. 90% of muggers are males. You want to surveil all males and turn this into a police state?

Plus, how much hassling and harassment do you want to put up with (or engage in) for speculative results? The answer generally depends on what group is on the receiving end of harassment.

How could we cut crime in America by 85%? Easy, imprison all males 15-34 years old. Then deal with the downside.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Well, the vast majority of black youth are not in any gang. Profiling them would be prejudging them based on race. You know, racial prejudice. We profile criminals based on relevant factors, not race. Paying cash for a plane ticket is a relevant factor -- being a swarthy male is not. 90% of muggers are males. You want to surveil all males and turn this into a police state?

Plus, how much hassling and harassment do you want to put up with (or engage in) for speculative results? The answer generally depends on what group is on the receiving end of harassment.

How could we cut crime in America by 85%? Easy, imprison all males 15-34 years old. Then deal with the downside.
Unfortunately, blacks commit more murders than whites overall despite being only 12% of the population as opposed to 60%. Race is a factor. Or maybe it's socioeconomics. Anyway, the numbers don't lie.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 3 - Crime in the United States 2009

Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black males under the age of 22 are almost 10 times more likely to commit murder than white males of the same age group. This is truly sad.

Last edited by Chicago South Sider; 06-24-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Unfortunately, blacks commit more murders than whites overall despite being only 12% of the population as opposed to 60%. Race is a factor.
Or maybe regionalism, poverty or a Southern background. Blacks have a much higher conviction rate when charged with crimes, too, than similarly situated whites. All sorts of conclusions can be made from that factoid including what this means as to your statement of what blacks 'commit'. The statisticians try to remove all irrelevant features to determine a cause. You know, avoid the 'post hoc' fallacy. Race is a feature; not a cause or a determinant.

And, you should realize that 90% of all crime does not cross ethnic lines. Which is why Rev. Jackson spends time decrying violence.

Now, I don't know why this thread is on black folks because I'm not sure that the relevant incident involved black folks.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:44 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Unfortunately, blacks commit more murders than whites overall despite being only 12% of the population as opposed to 60%. Race is a factor. Or maybe it's socioeconomics. Anyway, the numbers don't lie.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 3 - Crime in the United States 2009

Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black males under the age of 22 are almost 10 times more likely to commit murder than white males of the same age group. This is truly sad.
Very interesting statistics.
It seems Chicago follows suit from the national trends.

Age group 20-24.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
I'm going to be working on N. Michigan Ave. in The Loop. Is that area safe? I looked at a map and this shooting doesn't seem too far from my office, like a half mile.
yes..it's very safe. this is a very rare incident

Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Life is not a movie. Hollywood created this crap and dull minded youth fall for it- Their values and ideas of manhood are generated by the money grabbing SOB parasites who write and produce socially destructive scripts.

You can say what you want but this fast and loose gun handling is a taught and leaned behavior...Going back a few years you could walk into a video store and every second package had a pick of some actor with a pistol....Kids grew up watching this stuff and a poor culture with no culture adopted this fake culture as a real culture and their OWN culture- Don't tell me that Hollywood is not to blame- If bad art never existed..and California had slid into the Pacific 40 years ago there would be one tenth of one percent as much gun abuse...
today.

People sit and wonder how all this horrific culture emerged - well I just told you- It was taught.....Prior to the advent of the Hollywood gun movie.....Black youth may have used a knife on the rare occasion....just like anyone else..

If those idiots in Hollywood who make billions of dollars are so inclined to "Give back" _ Let the people who made money through the portrayal of gun violence...dish out a billion or two on healing the wound they opened.
Spot on Oleg. It is a glorified culture of violence that is destroying civility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago