Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 PM

9 posts, read 25,905 times

Advertisements

what is the area like around N Maplewood Avenue, a few blocks west of Western, for a recent college graduate? Is it safe? A reasonable distance away from bars/restaurants?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
How far North/South on Maplewood? It runs the length of the city.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 PM

Sorry about that! It's Maplewood and W Wabanasia Avenue next to Maplewood Park- close to the Bucktown area.

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 PM

17 posts, read 30,452 times
That area is in Humboldt Park, on the north east side of the neighborhood close to the north and east borders. It's a little more than a five minute walk from the Western O'Hare Blue Line stop. The area is not too bad and has been improving a lot over the last few years. Basically in Humboldt park, the farther north and east you get from the park the better. I live just south of there off Western and Hirsch and had a friend that lived right there by Maplewood park and I can honestly say I was surprised at how much better the neighborhood was around there.

I'm in college living with 3 roommates and none of us have ever had any issues living where we're at. We have friends coming and going at all hours of the night with no issues. Walked back from bars a few times real late, like 4 am, still no problems. It all depends on your comfort level and how you hold yourself. To get to the bars at milwaukee and damen it would probably be a 15 minute walk tops from there.

If you got a good deal on an apartment I would definitely consider moving there, some real good restaurants around Humboldt park too, and the park itself is awesome! Pretty diverse crowd around there too.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 AM

427 posts, read 463,141 times
People are routinely sucked in by ads that do not mention the property for rent or sale is in Humboldt Park. It is cheaper there than Wicker Park or Bucktown but of course there is a reason this is so.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbuzz View Post
That area is in Humboldt Park, on the north east side of the neighborhood close to the north and east borders. It's a little more than a five minute walk from the Western O'Hare Blue Line stop. The area is not too bad and has been improving a lot over the last few years. Basically in Humboldt park, the farther north and east you get from the park the better. I live just south of there off Western and Hirsch and had a friend that lived right there by Maplewood park and I can honestly say I was surprised at how much better the neighborhood was around there.

I'm in college living with 3 roommates and none of us have ever had any issues living where we're at. We have friends coming and going at all hours of the night with no issues. Walked back from bars a few times real late, like 4 am, still no problems. It all depends on your comfort level and how you hold yourself. To get to the bars at milwaukee and damen it would probably be a 15 minute walk tops from there.

If you got a good deal on an apartment I would definitely consider moving there, some real good restaurants around Humboldt park too, and the park itself is awesome! Pretty diverse crowd around there too.
I agree with this poster. I also live south of where the OP is looking, off of Hirsch, but I am up by Wabansia every day to take the blue line. The area around there looks really nice to me and I would have no problem living there. I'm female, 29, if that matters. I've lived where I am now for over 3 years and don't feel unsafe there, and considering that the blocks look nicer north of North Ave, I don't think you have a lot to worry about if you have any street smarts at all.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
People are routinely sucked in by ads that do not mention the property for rent or sale is in Humboldt Park. It is cheaper there than Wicker Park or Bucktown but of course there is a reason this is so.
I agree with you, to a point. Humboldt Park is a pretty large neighborhood and while there is a lot of crime west of the park, east of the park does not seem very different from Wicker Park, to me. A lot of the difference is due to the perception of crime more than actual reality of it. So yeah, if 70% of people are worried that there will be more crime west of Western, then of course prices will be lower there, regardless of what the actual crime stats are.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies-I took the place and really excited about it! I did a drive through at night and felt comfortable and like it was similar to the Wicker Park area.

Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosaw View Post
Thanks for all the replies-I took the place and really excited about it! I did a drive through at night and felt comfortable and like it was similar to the Wicker Park area.

Thanks again!
Congrats! Sounds like you'll be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago