Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
Where are some good mexican food places? I know leaving Texas I will miss my Tex Mex.
If you don't want a hole in the wall joint...Rick Bayless (hope you know who he is ;-)) has a good place that serves Tortas, Caldos, freshly ground chocolate, etc called Xoco in River North. Line can be long if you go at the wrong time because there's only 35 seats and he's a world renowned chef. Very casual place, and you can get take out anyway if you don't want to wait if there's a line. Next to that is Frontera Grill..etc. He has a whole empire here.

Also, not really Mexican, but good Peruvian is up at Ay Ay Picante in Albany Park. There's some decent tacos at Big Star in Wicker Park (place is always busy), and near there is Flash Tacos which people always complain about getting sick from, but it's not terrible IMO. Maybe people just have weak stomachs. Also Chilam Billam and Adobo Grill are supposed to be good, but I've never had those. Nacional 27 was good too but I don't know if that's MEXICAN, but definitely spanish.

I don't eat at a lot of hole in the wall places..only been to a few in Chicago weirdly enough (like one in Lakeview, Boystown - Taco and Burrito Palace). I'm sure others in here know more Those are my suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Where are some good mexican food places? I know leaving Texas I will miss my Tex Mex.
Tex-Mex or Mexican?

Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Malaysian, Filipino and Portuguese are all lacking.
Just FYI almost everyone I have known that has tried it has told me Portuguese food is not very good. This coming from people who are pretty cultured when it comes to food. I don't think it's a Chicago thing. Very few cities will you find straight up Portuguese food probably due to lack of immigrants and lack of popularity.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM

172 posts, read 438,363 times
I like Wishbone. The food there is healthier than most Southern food....but I don't like most Southern food because a lot of it is very heavy.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Just FYI almost everyone I have known that has tried it has told me Portuguese food is not very good. This coming from people who are pretty cultured when it comes to food. I don't think it's a Chicago thing. Very few cities will you find straight up Portuguese food probably due to lack of immigrants and lack of popularity.
Portuguese food is delicious.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:03 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
heaven on seven is awful...as an Aville resident you should know about Big Jones which is wonderful

EDIT: The Southern is great as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I will say the original Heaven on Seven on Wabash in the Loop is better than the other one (or ones, if there's even more ?)
huh, can't say I've heard too many people say it's awful. To me, awful is the 'cajun' place inside of Fox Valley mall, or whatever its ilk are.

I've never had a bad experience at either the original Wabash location or the Naperville location. I've never been to the Rush St. location, so I can't say how it compares.

Truthfully, I've been past Big Jones, but never inside. The menu looks pretty incredible, to say the least. I guess I'll have to put it on the list of places to try...heck, I haven't even been to Lady Gregory's _whose menu doesn't even look that exciting.)

Old 06-11-2012, 05:50 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Portuguese food is delicious.
Oh I dont know, I was just going off from what I have heard. I truly have no idea.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
If you don't like the topic, gtfo.

Obviously the OP cares about Malaysian food and has desire to have it closer than the suburbs. Just because Chicago has more food choices than anywhere else doesn't mean people should rest on their laurels. More choices makes for more enjoyable living, right?

And for Swedish, I feel like we get a fairly good mix here. I've never really wanted for more between Svea or Tre Kronor.
Relax, I am allowed to write an opinion I hope.

So if there is such a huge demand for Malaysian food then how come there arn't any Malaysian restaurants. You are right, thats is very odd.And regardless of what you say, bloodpudding will NEVER be sold here. haha

Old 06-11-2012, 06:09 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So if there is such a huge deman for Malaysian food then how come there arn't any Malaysian restaurants. You are right, thats is very odd.And regardless of what you say, bloodpudding will NEVER be sold here. haha
Just because there aren't restaurants doesn't mean there's not (edit) a demand. It means there's not many people who know how to make legitimate Malaysian food in Chicago who can actually afford to open their own place or want to. Its not easy food to make, but I would bet a lot of money on the fact that if one was in the right place, the demand would go way, way up. It's some of the best food you've probably never had, but if you did...you'd know what I was talking about.

10 years ago, there was minimal demand for Korean food outside of Koreans who live here. You can never 100% anticipate which food would become "big."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...food-and-drink

Also, why would blood pudding never be sold here? You're underestimating how many "adventurous" eaters there are in Chicago. I know numerous places you can go to get blood sausage, for example.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Here in Pilsen there's at least one (and sometimes more) on every block, and everybody has a different opinion of which is best. I still haven't tried them all and I've been here for years. It's a little different from Tex-Mex. (I used to live in Texas, too.) Ironically (?), many people (including some top food critics) say the Mexican food here is more authentic than that in Texas and the rest of the American Southwest, since the Mexican population in Chicago was historically isolated from the Mexican-American influences of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago