Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:20 PM

44 posts, read 101,185 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My fiance' and I are considering a move to Chicago. We are both living in Indianapolis now - in the suburbs. Unfortunately, we have somewhat grown accustomed to suburban living.

I visited a friend recently who lived in Wrigelyville. His apartment was small, old, no AC, 1BR w/ den. My guess is he's paying a little over $1000 a month.

We'd love to live around that area - but if not, that's fine. Does it exist anywhere in the city for a decent apartment around 800 sq. ft. with AC (this one is huge) and a washer/dryer hookup at a reasonable price. I'm hoping to not pay over $1200 range but I want to live in a fun, young area (I'm in my mid twenties).

Of course I realize Chicago is an old city and most of the buildings are quite old. I am simply on a fact finding mission here to see what you all have to say about apartment living in Chicago. Unfortunately, suburb living may have us spoiled!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I think you probably got a very limited view of Chicago area real estate!

There are tens of thousands of units that have been built / remodeled in the past few years, so many that there is "glut" in many parts of Chicago.

I suspect you are guessing WAY WAY high on your friend's rent!!!

$1200 ought to get you a VERY nice unit, one that is quite up-to-date, and a good location.

A/C is very common, and most folks appreciate having it! Your friend may be a cheap skate!

If you like having a garage now that WILL up your rent QUITE A BIT. Similarly if your "suburban lifestyle" includes a lot of driving living in Wrigelyville will present endless headaches of traffic and parking, especially with so many crazy restrictions...

Where will you be working? There are many nice options through out the region.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Yeah, there are thousands of nicer new residential units all over the city, it's certainly not all old. Walk around many areas of lakeview and every other building is less than 10 years old. AC should be no problem. I actually don't know anyone who doesn't have AC. Any condo would prob have central, if it's an older building you might just have window units.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:53 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
I think the hookup for W/D is the deal-breaker. Unless it's a condo conversion, you'll either have to hoof it to the laundromat or rely on the W/D that may or may not be in the basement of the building.

I don't know of many apartments that have central A/C, but I've also never looked at expensive units. Most, if not all, vintage units will have nothing at all, or crappy old in-wall units. However, window units are very easy to find, and depending on how much space you want to cool down, not that expensive. My wife and I just got a 12,000 BTU unit for a good deal, and I saw a nice huge 15,000 btu unit (Good for 700-1000 sq feet) for about $449.

Most basic 1 BRs are exactly as described - smallish front room, bed, kitchen, bath. If you're lucky and the apartment is nice, it may have separate dining or an eat-in kitchen. If not, you dine near the coffee table.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 PM

308 posts, read 757,688 times
There are many nice places like that. The thing is that as you get further from Wrigley Field and such, prices drop pretty much by the block. I live about a mile away, and my apartment is bigger than friends who live on Southport that pay a few hundred more than I do. It's that location. I live in Roscoe Village and there are many two or three - flats in the area that sound like what you're looking for.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
A rental with over 800 sqft, in unit WD and AC in one of the prime areas of the typical yuppie hoods (LP, LV, Wicker) will likely run over 1k probably closer to 1,200. Start subtracting features, size or places on busy streets with crap kitchens or odd floor plans will knock that down around 1k. Chet brings up parking, which in Lakeview will run 120-170 a month depending on exact location.

As Manheim mentioned, a good window unit is fine for a 1 bdrm, especially under 800 sqft.

Also look to see what utilities are included, lots of managed buildings will include a decent amount, usually water, garbage and sometimes electricity and basic cable. You can probably find condos being rented out by owners, but I bet they'll make you eat the whole utility nut.

I find the total all in for an updated, nice 1 bdrm with AC, WD and parking to be in the 1,200-1400 range depending on exact hood and utilities included.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:35 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
We had a 2 BR with W/D and central air in unit in the heart of Wicker Park for $1200 but that's super rare.

But if you don't need to be within steps of Wrigley, rents drop precipitously. I highly recommend the Southport area of Lakeview or Roscoe Village or where I lived in Wicker Park/Bucktown.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
...and West Lakeview, Roscoe Village, North Center, Lincoln Square are *much* nicer than Wrigleyville. Trees, grass, parking, ethnic restaurants, bars that don't have underage drinkers throwing up in them... $1200 will get you a very nice one bedroom.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 AM

427 posts, read 463,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemTiger0408 View Post
Does it exist anywhere in the city for a decent apartment around 800 sq. ft. with AC (this one is huge) and a washer/dryer hookup at a reasonable price. I'm hoping to not pay over $1200 range but I want to live in a fun, young area (I'm in my mid twenties)
You most likely will not get a 1 bedroom of any size with central air and a washer/dryer hookup for $1200 or less anywhere in the city. Sorry to break the news to you.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
Are on-site washers and dryers common in Chicago? Every apartment I've ever looked at has had a washer and dryer in the basement, but that could just be a coincidence. And there are laundromats everywhere, so I'm wondering how common on-site laundry actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago