Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,094 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I need some help...I am currently 19 and in January-March I will be moving up around the Chicago area to finish my schooling. I'm pretty nervous but i'm moving with my boyfriend who is 24 so that makes it a little better.

So anyways...I don't know much about the city. I mean I do-but I don't. I need to know where I can find a studio or 1 bedroom apartment for $600 or less a month. I know that is very low and i'm willing to sacrifice being really close to entertainment as long as I am safe. The $600 can or cannot include utilities. I figure it won't but there are some ads that i've found for this price with certain utilities included. I need to know where I can find an apartment in my price range where I will be safe. That is my biggest concern. For a little bit of background information...I currently live in Missouri in a town of about 600-700 people and have all my life so as you can see Chicago will be a huge change! I'm ready for it and I know it is still too early to actually start applying for apartments and such I'd just like to get a general feel and know where to look and what to know, etc. So if anyone at all could give me some advice I would appreciate it so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:17 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,262,898 times
I'm in the same boat as you- looking for a cheap studio. So far I've seen one in Portage Park (six corners), a bunch in rogers park/edgewater (but parking would be a PITA), and a few in Albany Park. I'm only looking to be as close as I can be to NEIU, so my options were a bit limited. I may consider moving further away if necessary.

All of these neighborhoods are relatively safe by Chicago standards, as I've come to find.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,094 times
Okay, I'll make sure to check out those areas.

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM

367 posts, read 919,086 times
Coming from such a small town I can understand you being nervous. I have known women from town's smaller than yours and it would be nice to have more of them here.

Chicago is pretty big and I think people here could be more helpful if we knew the area you where going to school in. Northside, Westside, Southside, etc.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 PM

838 posts, read 3,099,531 times
chicago never strikes me as BIG, probably because it's made of small neighborhoods, and also because I've lived in NYC. Just think Chicago being 3 times bigger LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago