Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's why some people are trivial.
You mean like the people you're talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
NYC actually has a significantly higher percentage of parkland than Chicago; that is actually one of the things I noticed when I moved to Chicago last year, that outside of the lakefront there were not that many large parks, at least compared to what I was used to in NYC.

1. New York City - 19.6% - [38,229 acres]
2. Washington DC -19.4% - [7,617 acres]
3. San Francisco -18% [5,384 acres]
4. Jersey City -17.3% [1,660 acres]
5. Boston -16.3% [5,040 acres]
6. Philadelphia -12.6% [10,886 acres]
7. Long Beach -10.1% [3,275 acres]
8. Baltimore -9.5% [5,905 acres]
9. Chicago -8.2% [11,860 acres]
10. Los Angeles -7.9% [23,761 acres]
It would be interesting to see the ratio to population, and the regular realistic access that residents all over the cities have to the parks. There are large percentages of people in NYC that will not be able to travel or take advantage of a place like central park, and may not have an alternative. Chicago has parks of varying sizes plotted all over the city, which makes ones daily experience of park land a regular part of life. This is one example of how raw data may not translate into the majorities experience.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
It would be interesting to see the ratio to population, and the regular realistic access that residents all over the cities have to the parks. There are large percentages of people in NYC that will not be able to travel or take advantage of a place like central park, and may not have an alternative. Chicago has parks of varying sizes plotted all over the city, which makes ones daily experience of park land a regular part of life. This is one example of how raw data may not translate into the majorities experience.
Central park is one of literally hundreds of parks. There are parks of all sizes scattered throughout NYC, moreso than Chicago from my experience.
NYC is known for its urban parks probably more than any other city, I'm surprised by this perception of lack of green space in NYC.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Sorry I didn't realized the entire link didn't post. The list is percentage of City land area that is dedicated to parks.
20% of New York City is dedicated to parks? Call me skeptical.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Seriously, you really need to take a look at the maps of the parks in NYC. There are tons of neighborhood parks and green spaces

Northern Manhattan Parks Map : NYC Parks

Parks in Queens
Parks and Green Spaces in Queens, NY

About Parks : NYC Parks

There is a video on the site.

Quote:
Parks & Recreation is the steward of approximately 29,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We operate more than 800 athletic fields and nearly 1,000 playgrounds, 550 tennis courts, 66 public pools, 48 recreational facilities, 17 nature centers, 13 golf courses, and 14 miles of beaches. We care for 1,200 monuments and 23 historic house museums. We look after 600,000 street trees, and two million more in parks. We are New York City's principal providers of recreational and athletic facilities and programs. We are home to free concerts, world-class sports events, and cultural festivals.
Partners : NYC Parks

Quote:
In 1993, the City of New York had a vision to create 350 miles of landscaped bicycle and pedestrian paths that would crisscross the City's five boroughs and enrich the lives of all New Yorkers. Currently Parks has built over 100 miles of the proposed greenway system. Greenways answer the growing public demand for safe and pleasant ways to travel about the City. These trails allow one to get to work or school, shop or do errands, or to reach the waterfront, parks, beaches, and museums.
I can't find an online map that gives them all although there is supposed to be an interactive map on that website.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyPrescott View Post
My question is: Why would you choose Chicago over other major cities in the United States? Specifically NYC. I am not trying to make this a turf war of any sort. Just curious to see some other viewpoints. I personally want to move to Chicago.

Why would you?
I choose to live/stay in Chicago because 1) it's where I was born, 2) I enjoy the change of seasons, 3) I enjoy the ethnic diversity, 4) the cultural activities, 5) great restaurants, 6) an awesome lakefront with parks and beaches, 7) the people, 8) an excellent public transportation system and last but not least, 9) because I've lived in other cities and countries which have not exceeded what I find in Chicago.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes, it is true. Visit NYC, it's obvious there are parks everywhere.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
The predominate theme about living in Chicago is cost; especially housing cost. "Cost" is based on supply and demand. Chicago is on the verge of bankruptcy as is the state with the crooked pension deals concocted by Chicago and Illinois pols. Please consider the looming taxpayer bailouts while at the same time existing businesses pull-out and new or existing companies rule-out moving here.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Central park is one of literally hundreds of parks. There are parks of all sizes scattered throughout NYC, moreso than Chicago from my experience.
NYC is known for its urban parks probably more than any other city, I'm surprised by this perception of lack of green space in NYC.
I always found NY's parks to be accessible, plentiful and better utilized than Chicago's.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The predominate theme about living in Chicago is cost; especially housing cost. "Cost" is based on supply and demand. Chicago is on the verge of bankruptcy as is the state with the crooked pension deals concocted by Chicago and Illinois pols. Please consider the looming taxpayer bailouts while at the same time existing businesses pull-out and new or existing companies rule-out moving here.
lol. your opinion isn't biased in the slightest and so based on current trends/facts

over the past several quarters (since 2010), chicago has been recovering both economically and on the jobs front. demand is increasing, and a mini boom is occuring in high-end residential real estate in newly developed neighborhoods like Lakeshore East. it seems you just enjoy bashing Chicago based on your post history
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago