Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Agreed on the above. Also, Chicago is much cleaner and safer than NYC.
You lost most rational people at "safer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
I love the dude with the hardcore anti-salt water stance.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
I love the dude with the hardcore anti-salt water stance.
Pretty funny. Also stating subjective stuff like "Midwesterners are by far the most attractive people in the US." (I do not agree, but to each their own).

The easiest, *objective* things to say would be about standard of living, cost, overall congestion, attractions, etc.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 AM

300 posts, read 524,737 times
Parks in NYC are significantly better and more plentiful in NYC than in Chicago. I can't believe this is even a topic for discussion.

Compare, say Prospect Park/Riverside Park/Central to Lincoln Park. No comparison whatsoever. Then compare all the neighborhood parks. Then compare the various squares (Union Square, Madison Square, Gramercy, Stuyvesant, Tompkins, Washington, etc.)

There's a huge difference in both quality and quantity. Lincoln Park, probably Chicago's best park, is pretty shabby in comparison. A highway runs through the damn park.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM

300 posts, read 524,737 times
Also, LOL at some of the comments.

Chicago is better because of the famously attractive Midwest people and lack of salt water. Huh?

Granted, there are arguments one can make in favor of any city, but I never heard of the Midwest as some epicenter of hotness, and of oceans as some horrible pox upon our existence.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
Parks in NYC are significantly better and more plentiful in NYC than in Chicago. I can't believe this is even a topic for discussion.

Compare, say Prospect Park/Riverside Park/Central to Lincoln Park. No comparison whatsoever. Then compare all the neighborhood parks. Then compare the various squares (Union Square, Madison Square, Gramercy, Stuyvesant, Tompkins, Washington, etc.)

There's a huge difference in both quality and quantity. Lincoln Park, probably Chicago's best park, is pretty shabby in comparison. A highway runs through the damn park.
There's nothing bucolic about Central Park. It can be just as crowded as 5th Avenue.

When it comes to parks and nature, I'm not taking the opinion of New York City residents all that seriously.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Also, LOL at some of the comments.

Chicago is better because of the famously attractive Midwest people and lack of salt water. Huh?

Granted, there are arguments one can make in favor of any city, but I never heard of the Midwest as some epicenter of hotness, and of oceans as some horrible pox upon our existence.
I agree with you, but each person has their own opinion of beauty. I do not find the average Midwesterner attractive, but that's just me. Other people might, other people might not.

Not really something you can actually debate because most of that is not scientific after a certain point (yes, you can argue for symmetry but there are many more deciding factors of perception of beauty from one person to the next).

Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times
Quote:
Parks in NYC are significantly better and more plentiful in NYC than in Chicago. I can't believe this is even a topic for discussion...
Fair enough.

But in Chicago they don't count the 10' wide strip of grass separating the sidewalk from the street as a "park" either.

If they did, I would think Chicago would have a bigger percentage of it's land classified as a "park". Maybe the same holds true for New York... but it seems unlikely, at least from my opinion and my limited knowledge of the area.

You can't be a "concrete jungle" and have grass and trees everywhere can you?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
to that in bolded.

I can understand everything else, but "godawful ocean", that some strong sentiments.
I think a freshwater great lake is way superior to the atlantic, just purely in terms of beach enjoyment. We had a 4 or 5 year run of staying on the ocean in north carolina, and the water can just be nasty, not to mention full of freaky creatures that will bite or sting you.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Fair enough.

But in Chicago they don't count the 10' wide strip of grass separating the sidewalk from the street as a "park" either.

If they did, I would think Chicago would have a bigger percentage of it's land classified as a "park". Maybe the same holds true for New York... but it seems unlikely, at least from my opinion and my limited knowledge of the area.

You can't be a "concrete jungle" and have grass and trees everywhere can you?

The 10" strip near the sidewalk? New Yorkers would call that "The Ponderosa"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago