Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
It would be interesting to see the ratio to population, and the regular realistic access that residents all over the cities have to the parks. There are large percentages of people in NYC that will not be able to travel or take advantage of a place like central park, and may not have an alternative. Chicago has parks of varying sizes plotted all over the city, which makes ones daily experience of park land a regular part of life. This is one example of how raw data may not translate into the majorities experience.
Well said. I endorse your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Chicago has so many other options of green "getaways" in comparison, while you're kind of stuck for choice in that respect in NYC.
Let's not forget the large expanses of the Cook County Forest Preserve District which I'm not certain are included in the statistics presented in this discussion. Some of the forest preserves are located inside the city limits, many others are adjacent ... and Chicago residents use these spaces heavily.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Not the end all be all of stats, but NYC Parks Dept and Chicago Park District list the following stats:

NYC - 1,700 Parks managed by NYC Parks Dept (not including state and federal run parks)

Chicago - 580 Parks managed by Chicago Park District (not including state and county run parks)

Again, since I sort of started this conversation on parks in NYC, my point is that there seems to be some perception by people on the Chicago board that NYC lacks green space, when in fact, much of the city is devoted to parks, and actually by a much larger % than Chicago.

There are several reason for somebody to choose Chicago over NYC, but access to parks is probably not one of those reasons.

I was just interested in playing around with your numbers and the fact that an earlier poster had talked about a park-to-population ratio.

So based on the 2010 Census estimate of NYC, the population is 8,244,910. Divide that by 1700 parks and you get approx 1 park per 4850 New Yorkers.

Chicago's 2010 Census indicates the population is 2,695,598. Divide that by 580 parks and you get approx 1 park per 4647 Chicagoans.

So when you compute it this way - the park to population ratio difference is really quite negligible between NYC and Chicago, certainly not a difference I'd think most people would consider material in deciding one city over another.

That being said - these ratios are of limited value because they fail to take into account some of the other factors posters have pointed out, such as accessibility, size, etc. But still interesting to think about.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,525,157 times
ok..new york and chicago are both excellent when it comes to parkland. it's hardly an issue worth arguing over

Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,793 times
Default Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyPrescott View Post
My question is: Why would you choose Chicago over other major cities in the United States? Specifically NYC. I am not trying to make this a turf war of any sort. Just curious to see some other viewpoints. I personally want to move to Chicago.

Why would you?
to keep my children safe , I did move

Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 AM

24 posts, read 30,293 times
I've been to NYC several times and stayed with friends and have lived in Chicago. My opinion:

-Chicago is FAR friendlier than NYC
-Chicago is MUCH cheaper than NYC
-Chicago has MUCH better food than NYC (I'm sorry, but Wilde and Lady Gregory's FTW on everything!)
-Chicago has amazing museums/Museum Campus is awesome
-The L is far less complicated than the NYC subway system and works nicely with buses on a grid system
-Boystown is far more enjoyable than Chelsea/the gay areas in Brooklyn
-NYC is a city that insists upon itself, I find. Chicago doesn't need to.
-Midwesterners are by far the most attractive people in the US.
-Chicago has an obsession with cupcakes. Enough said.
-Chicago isn't near the godawful ocean.
-The East Coast in general sucks. Attitudes are just not open at all (and I say this as a born and bred New England boy)
-NYC is far too congested
-Central Park is not nearly as accessible as some here are saying. I stayed with my friend in Washington Heights and it was annoying to get to, and once I was there I was like....so what?
-The Lakefront is FAR superior to Central Park anyway
-Navy Pier and the view from the ferris wheel
-Again, no salt water. Mod Edit ~ linicx

Last edited by linicx; 05-09-2012 at 11:34 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,631,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyPrescott View Post
My question is: Why would you choose Chicago over other major cities in the United States? Specifically NYC. I am not trying to make this a turf war of any sort. Just curious to see some other viewpoints. I personally want to move to Chicago.

Why would you?
I am moving back the NYC. This state is going broke because of mismanagement and it is showing with all kinds of weird schemes to make up the revenue shortfall (e.g. speed trap cameras at 300 locations in the city and a privatized parking meter and public parking system with steadily increasing prices that just will not quit.).

Illinois is now the lowest rated state after downgrade

Time to go back to my home before my condo becomes unsalable.

Last edited by richrf; 05-09-2012 at 12:29 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkyone View Post
I've been to NYC several times and stayed with friends and have lived in Chicago. My opinion:

-Chicago has MUCH better food than NYC (I'm sorry, but Wilde and Lady Gregory's FTW on everything!)
-Chicago has amazing museums/Museum Campus is awesome
-The L is far less complicated than the NYC subway system and works nicely with buses on a grid system
-Boystown is far more enjoyable than Chelsea/the gay areas in Brooklyn
-NYC is a city that insists upon itself, I find. Chicago doesn't need to.
-Midwesterners are by far the most attractive people in the US.
-Chicago has an obsession with cupcakes. Enough said.
-Chicago isn't near the godawful ocean.
-The East Coast in general sucks. Attitudes are just not open at all (and I say this as a born and bred New England boy)
-Central Park is not nearly as accessible as some here are saying. I stayed with my friend in Washington Heights and it was annoying to get to, and once I was there I was like....so what?
-Navy Pier and the view from the ferris wheel
-Again, no salt water. Mod Edit~ linicx .
to that in bolded.

I can understand everything else, but "godawful ocean", that some strong sentiments.

Last edited by linicx; 05-09-2012 at 11:37 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 AM

148 posts, read 239,166 times
Default theres a couple reasons...

being a resident and also well traveled to asia, chicago makes sense to live in because one can have a alpha global city experience and great quality of life at an affordable, reasonable expense. i personally like logical numbered adress grid system which makes more sense to me than my gps at times... chicago life i suppose occurs at just the right rate, not too much like massive metros like nyc or metro manila, but fast enough to not get boring or monotonous. personally i love the hard working blue collar attitude thats grounded and realistic. ive been to LA twice and found theres less jobs available overall and a bit higher unemployment, and the overall vanity/image vibe to be exhausting...i read it somewhere earlier from a previous poster and i agree, sometimes not having a high-profile and being under the radar isnt such a bad thing... its my opinion id take quality over quantity everytime.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 AM

15 posts, read 37,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkyone View Post

-
Agreed on the above. Also, Chicago is much cleaner and safer than NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago