Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,954,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
I went to DePaul. It supposedly very diverse school though I think the diverse student body was more like 50:50. I was pretty much almost never invited to parties or any outgoing activities, except permitted to spend some time inside their premises. No one knocked to my dorm apartment to visit me except for my roommates. Majority of the students in class were commuters compounding the problem. And my roommates did not like me just because they thought I am gay. I had a few acquaintances in another floor I trusted but they pretty much ditched me for the same reason a few months after spending most weekends with them. A lot of people on campus were conservative, republican and from anywhere in Midwest. Some people were nice but they were rare and not for very long around where I was.

Utilities might be a problem, especially high speed internet connection which I rely on for work. I'd rather have my own control of access to the Internet and not use cellular connection but cable or DSL. I'd rather live in a studio than 1 bedroom from someone. Sometimes I like to have a little privacy.
People in Evanston tend to be more liberal, but I can't say whether you would find friends there given your situation. If you were going to school at Northwestern, I would bet you would not have a problem as you did at DePaul. Partly, the problem there may have been that most people were not staying in the dorms which is the opposite of the situation at NU.

I also suspect that to make friends you might have to take the initiative rather than expecting people to knock on your dorm room door and invite you out. Most of the campus parties even at NU are specific to organizations you belong to. Parties among friends would be at someone's apartment perhaps or at a pub. I am sorry you found DePaul to be unfriendly, but I am not sure your attributing it to being *perceived* as gay is quite correct (could be, though, because DePaul is a Catholic school). If you are gay, you might want to find some gay friends. If you are not, then you need to find people who don't stereotype.

I wouldn't know about the internet access in a situation like the one I suggested, but I bet if the people have wireless connections, you could access that from your own laptop. As for privacy, my friends did not intrude on their boarders, but the boarders did have to use the common entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM

389 posts, read 921,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

1) I am sorry you found DePaul to be unfriendly, but I am not sure your attributing it to being *perceived* as gay is quite correct (could be, though, because DePaul is a Catholic school).

2) I wouldn't know about the internet access in a situation like the one I suggested, but I bet if the people have wireless connections, you could access that from your own laptop. As for privacy, my friends did not intrude on their boarders, but the boarders did have to use the common entrance.
1) I come over to room, few guys are there, my "friend" comes over to me to hand me beer and he says "Don't worry I am not gonna have sex with you". Sounds pretty homophobic doesn't? And his roommate from Iowa, told me over IM chat he got really pissed when Iowa allowed gay marriage. There was a lot of hilly billys there. And all of them belonged to some very vain fraternity. I would not be surprised if they turned out to be closeted gays. I had few friends who at the time were dating girls, unlike those single fratboys, and while they sometimes made fun of me because they also thought I am gay, they seemed to be more cool and calm when I was near them. But its starting to get off topic... lets focus on apartments.

2). This is not what I meant. I meant to say I like to have control over access to the internet all the way to a jack in the wall, including ordering, provisioning, billing. Not just from what I can see in the screen. And yeah if someone only ordered 1.5mb dsl (slow link), with an unsecured or poorly secured wireless access point (gateway for access to the Internet) that would be a deal breaker. Also I would need full access to configuration utility for gateway and if it was somebody's else gateway I would not have access there. Also sharing bandwidth might be a problem especially if it was a small one. And most consumer devices are not set optimally to handle it, because well they are cheap and consumer. Best Buy sells a lot of awful stuff to customers as opposed to better deals you can find if you shop on the Internet.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Working in Evanston and commuting from Oak Park would be a problem, imo.
second that. thats too far and even worse to commute from there than west suburbs. At least the traffic is little more bearable west of 294 and from there you can take Dempster St all the way to downtown.

The farthest I'd go south is rogers park/uptown in Chicago though I suspect the rents there are might be higher than in surrounding suburbs since the city itself probably slaps some "extra" in addition to Cook county property taxes.

To west I might go as far as Skokie or Wilmette to north, but I'd prefer to stay in Evanston within walking distance or a short walking distance to purple line.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,954,794 times
I'm not sure where you will find a month to month or short term lease in Evanston. Rentals are at a premium and they generally are at least for the college term. Most are 1 year. A few might be 9 months. There may be some in Skokie. Most are probably out of your budget though.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...available-4id/

You could see if there is a sublet available on Craigslist or something.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure where you will find a month to month or short term lease in Evanston. Rentals are at a premium and they generally are at least for the college term. Most are 1 year. A few might be 9 months. There may be some in Skokie. Most are probably out of your budget though.

Evanston Apartments - Rent Apartments in Evanston, IL

You could see if there is a sublet available on Craigslist or something.
if the difference is only -/+ 300 I think I may be able to find something on my own. of course the only trick is length of lease.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 PM

148 posts, read 386,998 times
Might want to check this sublet site out: Illinois Rentals | Apartments for rent, houses, sublets and roommates. Furnished apartments, rental houses short term and long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago