Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 10:55 PM

11 posts, read 115,739 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am going to be moving to Chicago a month before I move into my friend's apartment. Besides craigslist, are there any places you would recommend me looking to find a 1 BR place to sublet for around a month? Do places like this even exist in Chicago? I feel with the size of the city, there has to be some availability in regards to this. Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 PM

214 posts, read 675,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey22 View Post
Hi,

I am going to be moving to Chicago a month before I move into my friend's apartment. Besides craigslist, are there any places you would recommend me looking to find a 1 BR place to sublet for around a month? Do places like this even exist in Chicago? I feel with the size of the city, there has to be some availability in regards to this. Thanks....
Your best bet (especially if you're on a budget) is going to be hostels. There are several throughout the city, and they run around $20-40 per night.

Otherwise, just renting for a month, you're either going to overpay or get seriously gouged.

You may want to check CL vacation rentals as an aside though.

I'm not saying you can't find anything (it is the 3rd largest city in the US, afterall), but it's going to be tricky. Just try not to get ripped off or overpay for sub-par accomodations.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,014,587 times
also try airbnb.com

Old 02-02-2012, 07:13 AM

126 posts, read 209,040 times
Sublet.com | Apartments for rent, houses, sublets, furnished apartments and rooms for rent. Post apartment rentals free.

VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com/ - broken link) (vacation rental by owner)

I have not used either of these services, so I cannot say say they are good or bad. But I've looked at their listings. And a friend here got a really nice rental in Hawaii from VRBO.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 AM

674 posts, read 1,060,043 times
Try the Greek Hostel on Halsted. Great transit options as well from there, as well as a friendly staff, extremely clean, wifi and free, decent breakfast. That's always a win in my book.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,490,183 times
You could try using this site for a month stay or break it down to a couple weeks at each place- CouchSurfing – The world’s largest travel community I've heard great things about this service.

I also wouldn't discount Cragislist. That might be your easiest bet to find a short term, furnished apartment.

Another idea is Facebook's version of Craigslist called Marketplace. I've used both Craiglist and Marketplace for subletting and had better luck with Marketplace since it's less random and everything is connected to a Facebook page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago