Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,595 times

Advertisements

hey guys,

two quick questions from your new neighbor. you all have been so helpful so far that i thought you might be able to answer these for me...

1- is there a city parking permit that you have to get no matter where you park in the city? city parking pass?

2- what is the difference between a chicago card and a monthly unlimited card for the cta?

thanks all. i also realized today much to my dismay that i have to retake the written test at dmv to renew my license..arghhh...!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 06:45 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
hey guys,

two quick questions from your new neighbor. you all have been so helpful so far that i thought you might be able to answer these for me...

1- is there a city parking permit that you have to get no matter where you park in the city? city parking pass?

2- what is the difference between a chicago card and a monthly unlimited card for the cta?

thanks all. i also realized today much to my dismay that i have to retake the written test at dmv to renew my license..arghhh...!!!!

1) Yes, you have to get a city sticker if either you're plates are registered to the city, or you license has a city address.

2) A Chicago Card can be used as either a pay-per-ride card, or a monthly unlimited. If its pay per ride, you link it up with a credit or checking account, and once your account falls below 10, it reloads it with an amount of your choosing. If you choose to reload in $20 increments, you are given a $2.00 bonus (the cost of one fare and one transfer) when it reloads.
If you choose the monthly unlimited, it will automatically deduct the cost of a monthly pass from your credit/checking account at the end of your 30 day period.

So if you use the CTA mainly for commute to/from work, around 10 times a week, this is the better way to go. If you plan on using it in addition to work, then the monthly pass is the way to go.

Either way, if you're going to use the CTA, get the chicago card. You save a quarter on each fare, which quickly adds up, and you won't find yourself hustling to reload your card at the station as you can hear your train pulling away.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
1) Yes, you have to get a city sticker if either you're plates are registered to the city, or you license has a city address.

how much is this card?

LAME.

2) A Chicago Card can be used as either a pay-per-ride card, or a monthly unlimited. If its pay per ride, you link it up with a credit or checking account, and once your account falls below 10, it reloads it with an amount of your choosing. If you choose to reload in $20 increments, you are given a $2.00 bonus (the cost of one fare and one transfer) when it reloads.
If you choose the monthly unlimited, it will automatically deduct the cost of a monthly pass from your credit/checking account at the end of your 30 day period.

So if you use the CTA mainly for commute to/from work, around 10 times a week, this is the better way to go. If you plan on using it in addition to work, then the monthly pass is the way to go.

Either way, if you're going to use the CTA, get the chicago card. You save a quarter on each fare, which quickly adds up, and you won't find yourself hustling to reload your card at the station as you can hear your train pulling away.
well i'm still interviewing now so i am not riding as much as i will when i get a job.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post

what is the difference between residential and city parking permit or are they the same thing? for example, i don't think i need one at my apt or in my area (that i know of) but if i go somewhere else i will...god nyc is so much easier in this regard. and when you get a nyc license from out of state you do NOT need to retake the written test!!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
well i'm still interviewing now so i am not riding as much as i will when i get a job.
if i'm not mistaken, you can always get a Chicago Card and start it off as pay per use, then switch it over to a monthly one when you're ready.

right? guys? bueller?

i'm not absolutely sure because i immediately got it for monthly since I don't have a car.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 AM

683 posts, read 4,616,803 times
My roommate told me that to park anywhere in the city, you have to have a city sticker no matter if you are visiting, have out of state license plates, etc., unless you are parking on meter or in a garage. How are visitors supposed to just "know" this if it's not posted?

Old 09-14-2007, 12:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
what is the difference between residential and city parking permit or are they the same thing? for example, i don't think i need one at my apt or in my area (that i know of) but if i go somewhere else i will...god nyc is so much easier in this regard. and when you get a nyc license from out of state you do NOT need to retake the written test!!
oh, btw. the written test is super easy. half of it (17 out of 35 questions or something) is questions about signs, like which one of these means railroad crossing? the only kind of tricky ones are ones about the dui laws.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
if i'm not mistaken, you can always get a Chicago Card and start it off as pay per use, then switch it over to a monthly one when you're ready.

right? guys? bueller?
Yes, you can switch at any time. If you have the Chicago Card Plus you can do it online.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:57 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
My roommate told me that to park anywhere in the city, you have to have a city sticker no matter if you are visiting, have out of state license plates, etc., unless you are parking on meter or in a garage. How are visitors supposed to just "know" this if it's not posted?

If your car has plates which are registered with a city address, you need to buy a city sticker. The suburbs generally have similar stickers as well. Its basically just a way to tax automobile owners. If you're from out of town, with out of town plates, you don't need a city sticker.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
If your car has plates which are registered with a city address, you need to buy a city sticker. The suburbs generally have similar stickers as well. Its basically just a way to tax automobile owners. If you're from out of town, with out of town plates, you don't need a city sticker.
Exactly. Vistors don't need it. You only get a ticket if: 1) your car is registered in Chicago, and/or 2) you drivers license has a Chicago address. Otherwise, you don't need one.
Now, if you are visiting in a permited parking zone, you need a vistors pass. These are clearly marked (e.g., no parking except residents from 6pm to 6am, etc). People who live in these zoned areas can get cheap vistor passes from the alderman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: