Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 1,457 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm moving to Chicago soon temporarily and the place I found requires a $100/year city parking sticker to park on streets. I looked into it briefly and was confused about who can get the sticker. If I have an out of state registered drivers license and car, could I still get the sticker as long as I provide a proof of residence (utility bill or lease)? This isn't a permanent move and I don't plan on changing my permanent residency.

Also, the place I found is in between Ukrainian Village and Humboldt Park. I have never lived in the city and was wondering how safe this area is. It's west of western, east of california, north of division, and south of north ave. For those that know the area well, would you recommend this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 10:13 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
City stickers are for city residents only.

But if you're here temporarily, you can keep your car registered as is. If you get a ticket (stupid cops exist), you can easily fight it as a out of state resident is not required to have the sticker.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:35 PM

Is it not required or I'm not elliglble for it? I will be signing a 12 month lease so I'm afraid that I'll get a big ticket especially if I continue to use my car. I guess that's not so temporary haha

Old 09-26-2020, 03:12 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbxnchizkrh View Post
Is it not required or I'm not elliglble for it? I will be signing a 12 month lease so I'm afraid that I'll get a big ticket especially if I continue to use my car. I guess that's not so temporary haha
Permanent does not mean the same thing as long-term. If you are signing a lease, then Chicago is your bona fide residence and you need a city sticker. And to get a city sticker, you will need to transfer your car tags to Illinois. And transfer your insurance as well.

If a not-so-stupid police officer issues a ticket for lack of city sticker, you would have to appeal it by proving you have a permanent legal resident elsewhere AND that your vehicle has been parked in the city for less than 30 days. Having your insurance card mailed to your parents' place in another state doesn't count as proof.

A list of all the legitimate grounds for appealing tickets is located here:
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...in_person.html

Old 09-26-2020, 06:24 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
do the right thing and pay up like any other person living in Chicago...If you cant afford it, dont move here

Old 09-26-2020, 06:59 PM

I'm not trying to avoid paying money. That's not the issue for me. I just don't see the point of going through the hassle of changing my license when I'm only here for a year or two at max and it's not that easy to change the plate when it's under your parents name.. sorry if it came off as if I was trying to be cheap but just trying to get some help out here.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:09 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Hi

I'm moving to Chicago soon temporarily and the place I found requires a $100/year city parking sticker to park on streets. I looked into it briefly and was confused about who can get the sticker. If I have an out of state registered drivers license and car, could I still get the sticker as long as I provide a proof of residence (utility bill or lease)? This isn't a permanent move and I don't plan on changing my permanent residency.

Also, the place I found is in between Ukrainian Village and Humboldt Park. I have never lived in the city and was wondering how safe this area is. It's west of western, east of california, north of division, and south of north ave. For those that know the area well, would you recommend this area?
Out-of-state plates routinely have the city sticker. Walk around any neighborhood and you will see gobs of them. You will need it if you desire to park in a permit parking area. You cannot obtain a permit without it.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to avoid paying money. That's not the issue for me. I just don't see the point of going through the hassle of changing my license when I'm only here for a year or two at max and it's not that easy to change the plate when it's under your parents name.. sorry if it came off as if I was trying to be cheap but just trying to get some help out here.
Oh so now it's a year or two. Do you also not see the point of paying your car registration for a year or two? Are you also not planning on making friends while you are in town because it's too much effort when you're just going to move away anyway? I mean how long is 'worth it'?

And you are seriously overblowing the degree of hassle involved here. You can obtain all these things at 3 different city clerks offices and 200 private vendors (currency exchanges, banks, etc). It's literally harder to obtain a roll of quarters than it is to get a city sticker.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:41 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
I wouldn’t worry about it, there are plenty of people who live in Illinois in general and have their cars registered in neighboring states to avoid paying state sticker cost and emissions testing. Same thing with so called Chicago residents who have their cars registered in the suburbs yet live within city limits.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:14 PM

796 posts, read 931,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
City stickers are for city residents only.

But if you're here temporarily, you can keep your car registered as is. If you get a ticket (stupid cops exist), you can easily fight it as a out of state resident is not required to have the sticker.

if you take in a copy of the lease, I'm sure the city would HAPPILY take your money for a sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: