Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

You'll need to move your car about once a month for street cleaning, at least through the end of October. They tie temporary signs to trees the day before cleaning, or if you're really lucky, two days before cleaning. They also have a cleaning schedule online somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 AM

7 posts, read 16,055 times
I hadn't known about the permit-parking streets. Now my car is the size of my monitor.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddyredd View Post
I hadn't known about the permit-parking streets. Now my car is the size of my monitor.
Huh??

Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 AM

And that city sticker deadline is NO JOKE. It's not like, "If we happen to see...", it's "Day after the deadline, we're hittin' the streets looking for you!"

Ugh, and the street-cleaning is a killer! Because, as if parking weren't tough enough, they are basically telling the entire neighborhood to only use ONE side of the street (cuts parking in HALF). Then the next day, it's the other side!

To sum up, the city doesn't want you to have a car, and if you do they will try everything to make you PAY! (I even got an abandoned car ticket because a tire went flat during winter.)

Old 09-17-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Huh??

Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddyredd View Post
Towed away and Crushed.
darn. i wanted to make a really good shrink-ray joke.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
On the other hand, I went a year and a half without a parking sticker before they started making people pay for fees in arrears and using computer aids for detection. The law requires that you display a sticker, not just possess one so put the thing on your car at once. Also, technically, the city does not allow a person to park their car in one spot for more than a week. Finally, from November to April you cannot park overnite on a snow route (they are well-marked).

Consider the alternative: I am a survivor of NYC's alternate side of the street parking. Now, that's a mess!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
On the other hand, I went a year and a half without a parking sticker before they started making people pay for fees in arrears and using computer aids for detection. The law requires that you display a sticker, not just possess one so put the thing on your car at once. Also, technically, the city does not allow a person to park their car in one spot for more than a week. Finally, from November to April you cannot park overnite on a snow route (they are well-marked).

Consider the alternative: I am a survivor of NYC's alternate side of the street parking. Now, that's a mess!
yes, nyc's alternate side parking is a mess, but i was finally figuring that out. this permit i didn't know about. oh well.

i know about the street cleaning - they've been doing around my block this week and today. drove around a while last night, gave up, got up early this am found a spot. it's really not nearly as bad as nyc - in bklyn, for example, you have to go through this every time you go out, as blocks street cleaning days vary. so you have to move it for monday but good luck finding one, then you end up on wed spot so tues night you have to go through it again. the later in the evening, the more impossible. my husband and i had to write where our car was on a marker board bc we'd forget - it could be 10 blocks away. and manhattan, forget it - 5 signs on one post...so confusing.

so i guess in hindsight it's not that bad. i just wasn't clear on it, didn't know about it. no biggie.

phew just found out we'll have a space in our building opening up in november. SCORE!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
phew just found out we'll have a space in our building opening up in november. SCORE!
Just in case you're thinking about it, DO NOT USE THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO NOT GET YOUR CITY STICKER. While your chances of getting a ticket while parked in your own lot greatly diminish versus parking on the street, know that police officers and meter maids are authorized to enter onto private parking lots to issue tickets for no city sticker. And once they know your car is there with no sticker, they'll keep coming around day after day issuing you a ticket until you get your sticker. Additionally, suppose you want to drive somewhere in the city and you leave your car parked on the street in front of the restaurant -- they can get you then too. GET YOUR STICKER. This is one area where the city does not mess around. They even have a website where you can report people who are sticker-dodging.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:39 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Just in case you're thinking about it, DO NOT USE THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO NOT GET YOUR CITY STICKER. While your chances of getting a ticket while parked in your own lot greatly diminish versus parking on the street, know that police officers and meter maids are authorized to enter onto private parking lots to issue tickets for no city sticker. And once they know your car is there with no sticker, they'll keep coming around day after day issuing you a ticket until you get your sticker. Additionally, suppose you want to drive somewhere in the city and you leave your car parked on the street in front of the restaurant -- they can get you then too. GET YOUR STICKER. This is one area where the city does not mess around. They even have a website where you can report people who are sticker-dodging.
i hadn't planned on it! i didn't mean to give that impression - just excited that we have a spot opening soon so i don't have to worry about it in the winter or anything. we're slowly but surely getting everything and will definitely get one - hopefully by oct. 1. thanks for all your help, y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: