Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 PM

304 posts, read 871,673 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking at Craigslist and Ukranian village seems very affordable. Is there a difference between Ukranian Village and East Ukranian Village?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Also does anyone know exactly where Roscoe village is located? Is it a realistic location if attending NU law school.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,887 times
There are a bunch of neighborhood maps for the city. Here is one:
Chicago Neighborhood Map | Dream Town Realty

With some of them it is hard to tell the boundaries. You can google and find better maps i imagine.

As for Roscoe Village. This site contains the boundaries:
Home | Roscoe Village Neighbors

The "plan a trip" feature on this site: transitchicago
will allow you to put in the starting and destination address and find the best bus/train options via Chicago's transit system. If that link doesn't work type it in manually...

Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
There are a bunch of neighborhood maps for the city. Here is one:
Chicago Neighborhood Map | Dream Town Realty

With some of them it is hard to tell the boundaries. You can google and find better maps i imagine.

As for Roscoe Village. This site contains the boundaries:
Home | Roscoe Village Neighbors

The "plan a trip" feature on this site: transitchicago
will allow you to put in the starting and destination address and find the best bus/train options via Chicago's transit system. If that link doesn't work type it in manually...
Those links are really helpful. thanks so much

Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,945,525 times
YOu should get a good look at a neighborhood map of chicago. The major neighborhoods you might be concerned with are Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, Ukranian Village, of course their are more. These are the areas most newcomers are directed to on this forum.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
East Ukrainian Village is the area around Noble Square or Eckhert Park. It's not dangerous per se, but a little sketchier and all around less walkable than other parts of the neighborhood. What's the cross streets? It could also refer to something south of Chicago Ave which is really just West Town. Landlords/agents love to fudge boundaries though.

A 1 bedroom in Wicker Park or Ukie Village is probably more likely to find than a studio -- they exist but there are, from my experience, very few.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
I think $900 would find you a fairly small apartment or studio along the L somewhere. Apartments near the L are cheaper because its loud and dirty. lol. You can definitely find a studio somewhere in lakeview for $900 a month.

I bet if you look hard enough you may even be able to find a studio in Old Town for $1000/month. I have a friend who rents a studio (occupied) in the gold coast along michigan ave for $1100 a month. That just barely above your budget but its in a prime location to everything.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
Ukranian Village is a great idea.

I knew young people who worked at Northwestern downtown who lived in Ukranian Village. The downside is that there isn't a convenient subway stop there that can take you directly to school. Instead, you take a bus - down Chicago avenue. It is still very convenient. Many people do take buses in Chicago.

You will get more for your money in Ukranian Village, and it is a great place for you to live.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Ukranian Village is a great idea.

I knew young people who worked at Northwestern downtown who lived in Ukranian Village. The downside is that there isn't a convenient subway stop there that can take you directly to school. Instead, you take a bus - down Chicago avenue. It is still very convenient. Many people do take buses in Chicago.

You will get more for your money in Ukranian Village, and it is a great place for you to live.
Thanks. Ive asked some friends in Chicago what they think of it and they say it is a cool area. It is too bad that there isnt a convenient subway stop near there, but like you said I can just take a bus.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 PM

191 posts, read 361,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
Thanks. Ive asked some friends in Chicago what they think of it and they say it is a cool area. It is too bad that there isnt a convenient subway stop near there, but like you said I can just take a bus.
Maaaaann, that 66 bus be so damn crowded. Well, at the time I had to use it.

But strangely, I loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago