Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 PM

47 posts, read 155,697 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a week in Lincoln Park, and I am now planning a move there. My wife, 2 children and I decided to drive cross country this summer in search of a new place to live. We currently live in Seattle Washington and it is great here, but it has been our home for 20 years now. I am from the Midwest (Minnesota) and have been wanting to move back there for years. The Midwest is the best place to raise a family IMO. We really fell in love with the Lincoln Park area.The volleyball at north beach, all the activities etc.. I am a teacher (8th grade English /Social studies and bartender (The Cheesecake Factory) My wife is a registered nurse. I do not see us buying a place downtown, but I thought it would be a great experience to rent downtown for a year or two and really enjoy the city and everything that it has to offer. I am looking for you smart folks who already live downtown (Lincoln Park, or within 3 miles ) I really would like to be near the Lincoln Park area, have I mentioned that enough times? I am hoping for some guidance is thee a neighborhood like Lincoln Park that may be more affordable? We are looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment/condo/house near north beach for under 1700$ are we crazy? also any people living downtown with kids how is it? Do you recommend it? Thanks for any and all help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 PM

162 posts, read 803,349 times
$1700 in Lincoln Park for a family will be a brutal place - you might find a 2 bedroom somewhere near the lake for $1700 but it won't be great.

Honestly, it is a GREAT place if you do not have kids, but the city with kids is terrible - seriously.

I was in the city (Lincoln Park, Lakeview and the South Loop) for about 15 years. Had my daughter and left after 1.5 years. No room for kids to play and scream and be kids - public schools suck - city living not good for kids. Shopping in the city with kids - dirty looks, pissed people, etc.

Just my opinion, but I have been gone 8 months and will never go back until the kids are grown - and even then don't know if I can stomach the congestion anymore.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM

161 posts, read 699,369 times
I disagree. I think raising a kid in the city can at times be more problematic then raising a kid in the suburbs, but I still think there are plenty of pros to raising a kid in the city (tons of parks, beaches, active lifestyle, more cultural amenities, etc). But there can be cons (issues of safety, possibly more expensive, lack of space-depending on where you live). Personally, if it were me, I would not raise a kid in Lincoln Park, but I would raise a kid in the city in neighborhoods like Irving Park or Lincoln Square or Hyde Park where it would be 1) more affordable, 2) just as safe, if not safer than LP, and 3) where I could buy a house or condo with a backyard or green space so I wouldn't have to take the kids to the park all the time. Those are just my thoughts.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:41 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
You should read through this thread, there's some decent information here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-possible.html

Lincoln Park is a nice neighborhood, but it isn't the end all be all of city living. At the budget you are looking at, other neighborhoods would offer a more comfortable fit.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
You would probably be better off looking at neighborhoods that have more amenities for kids and are more affordable than Lincoln Park. Neighborhoods like Lincoln Square, Andersonville, and Ravenswood would have more rental units for a family of four and have easy access to Lincoln Park via the Brown or Red lines. Roscoe Village would also be worth looking into.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I think raising kids in the suburbs is tantamount to child abuse. It's great when they're young, but when they hit that 13-16 year old age they are just stuck without a parent chaufering them around. They need to get out and be social and a little independent, but they can't. So they turn to drugs, inhaling household chemicals, torturing cats, and shooting up the school.

Alright, that was purposely extreme and slightly tongue-in-cheek, but it's no more extreme than the guy above who says you can't raise kids in the city! If you want some good info about raising kids in Chicago, join the Northside Parent's Network and look at their online forums. They can answer absolutely every city living with kids question you can think of.

Parts of Lincoln Park are very family friendly, by the way. But it's one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
You would probably be better off looking at neighborhoods that have more amenities for kids and are more affordable than Lincoln Park. Neighborhoods like Lincoln Square, Andersonville, and Ravenswood would have more rental units for a family of four and have easy access to Lincoln Park via the Brown or Red lines. Roscoe Village would also be worth looking into.
I'd raise my kids in Lincoln Square in a heartbeat. I have to dodge rugrats in Giddings Plaza on the way to the train all the time, and I always think about how cool a place it'd be to have a family. The downside is definitely the schools. Public schools are a problem, and private schools are expensive.

The same is true for Roscoe Village. Ravenswood is nice, too, but more residential. I like being close to the Lincoln Ave businesses (in Lincoln Square. I like the biz district along Roscoe in RV, too.)

Lincoln Park is a lot denser and more expensive.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:18 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,705 times
why dont we start off by asking him how old his children are...?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 AM

170 posts, read 535,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I disagree. I think raising a kid in the city can at times be more problematic then raising a kid in the suburbs, but I still think there are plenty of pros to raising a kid in the city (tons of parks, beaches, active lifestyle, more cultural amenities, etc). But there can be cons (issues of safety, possibly more expensive, lack of space-depending on where you live). Personally, if it were me, I would not raise a kid in Lincoln Park, but I would raise a kid in the city in neighborhoods like Irving Park or Lincoln Square or Hyde Park where it would be 1) more affordable, 2) just as safe, if not safer than LP, and 3) where I could buy a house or condo with a backyard or green space so I wouldn't have to take the kids to the park all the time. Those are just my thoughts.
I agree with you. I do not have children, but I hope I will be able to make it happpen within the next few years. I think there are some facts that can be brought into the "kids in the city" debate, but what it boils down to is the lifestyle that the parents desire for their family. Obviously, that is a very personal choice.

As I see it, if I am happy where I am, this would carry over to my children. I think a child can flourish in ANY situation where they are cared for by happy, stable parents (or single parents) regardless of whether or not they live on a farm or on a busy city block. If the parent is happy and involved with their child (nurturing interests, providing opportunites), I think children would be okay just about anywhere.

Hopefully this doesn't sound terrible, but I just think that if I were to set up my family in a place that was JUST "for the kids," the kids would end up not benefitting at all; they'd have parents who were not satisfied with life, and I think that stuff rubs off on a child. I think a child can be happy when they have parents who are conducive to that happiness, if that makes sense. The suburbs are usually seen as the perfect place to raise kids... that may be so, but if a parent is miserable there, how will the child benefit? I think it comes down to being active in a child's life. Chances are, you're not going to be able to foster that ever improtant interest in little league that everyone thinks Jimmy should have, unless of course you enjoy that lifestyle.

But yes, it's a personal choice. What one person enjoys and wants their child to experience is bound to be the opposite of what someone else wants for their family.

My fiance and I have decided to move to the city before having children because we have a feeling that it may be for us. If not, we have other options. Both of us have grown up in suburbia, in an area that I do not want to be for much longer (4th fastest dying US city! woo!), and okay it's pretty and nice... but part of our situation is that I cannot drive. I am terrified of it. Where we are now, he has to drive me everywhere. All the time. If we want to do anything, we have to drive, and even then there is simply nothing to do. We're not happy here, and if we stayed, our kids wouldn't be happy either.

Some people might say that it is not fair to raise kids in a city, but more than anything, I don't think it's fair to raise kids anwhere where the parents aren't going to be sharing satisfaction with their children. From my experience, kids are little magnets. If I end up being happy in the city, then my envolvement and satisfaction will greatly impact my family.

Sorry for the rambling; I just wanted to throw this out there. The big idea that contributed to my decision to move was the fact that I do not want to bring a kid into the world unless I am happy with where I am.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
why dont we start off by asking him how old his children are...?
Exactly - Schools/daycare will be an important part of any recommendations.

Also - What is the neighborhood you're currently in like? Do you have your heart set on living in a large building by the Lake or would living in a 3-flat in a more "neighborhoody" area work for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago