Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,742,735 times

Advertisements

16 states have legalized marijuana, but Illinois is not one of them. So, is it medicine? I'd like to explore some of the myths and misconceptions, to get to the truth about medicinal marijuana. Many cimo therapy patients have received benefits from smoking it, such as decreased nausea and increased appetite. User's call this “the munchies”. It has also been used for anxiety. While its effectiveness, for anxiety, has been called into question, one thing that has not is that the addictive potential, and withdrawal of marijuana, seems to be far less than common meds, i.e. valium or larazipame. However marijuana does have side effects, such as shortened memory and increased heart rate. Chronic users can also be at risk of dependence and emphzima. However a link between marijuana and lung cancer has not been established. Marijuana is only legal by state governments, and is considered Illegal by the federal government. It's silly that physicians can prescribe meds that are as toxic as ridilin and morphine, but can't prescribe marijuana. Despite having its drawbacks, marijuana is gaining acceptance as a valid medical treatment. How does the general public feel, in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 12:32 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,372,159 times
I don't think anyone cares that much and I don't think its as big of a drug as in California. You don't have all the crazy hippies willing to fight really hard for it like in other states. On top of that, I don't think any of the neighborhoods would allow the med marijuana shops in their neighborhoods.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:19 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,760,817 times
All drugs should be legal and regulated by the feds.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,233,227 times
Most Chicagoans support legalization, but as jman07 pointed out there aren't many people who care enough to fight for it. Anything on a ballot related to legalizing marijuana would pass overwhelmingly, but I'm not sure if it could pass statewide. The big local issue in Chicago right now is discussions of making possession of small amounts of marijuana a ticketable offense. I wouldn't be surprised if we see that enacted in the next year or two.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,223,883 times
Nobody cares.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Nobody cares.
How many are you?

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-21-2012 at 05:26 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,223,883 times
22 years old

Old 01-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
22 years old
Well, maybe not for you, junior. But, I'm assure you there are many residents (IN CHICAGO) who are affected by cimo therapy (my family/friends included). For them, this thread can be a means for discussion. Keep hope alive.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:18 PM

6,898 posts, read 22,585,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Well, maybe not for you, junior. But, I'm assure you there are many residents (IN CHICAGO) who are affected by cimo therapy (my family/friends included). For them, this thread can be a means for discussion. Keep hope alive.
I know someone with Crohn's Disease that sees great relief from smoking pot so it has a wider reach than just chemo. Believe me you wouldn't want to live the way this person does when he doesn't have any to smoke. I hope there will be more studies that lead eventually to legalization and regulation at the very least for medical purposes.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,372,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I know someone with Crohn's Disease that sees great relief from smoking pot so it has a wider reach than just chemo. Believe me you wouldn't want to live the way this person does when he doesn't have any to smoke. I hope there will be more studies that lead eventually to legalization and regulation at the very least for medical purposes.
The only problem is that these "clinics" hand out marijuana prescriptions to everyone who says they have some sort of a pain.

I still think it should be legal though, just for the tax revenue purposes. Your basically taking money from drug dealers and cartels pockets and giving it back to the people as tax revenue. Marijuana is the drug cartels biggest export to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago