Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the west side of Chicago resemble a third world country?
Yes. 8 47.06%
No. 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 PM

326 posts, read 470,952 times

Advertisements

I go through the west side of chicago quite a bit, especially when going and hanging out at the Garfield Park Conservatory. On the way to and from the conservatory, i see a lot of very run down looking areas that have boarded up windows with bars in them, a lot of vacant store fronts with trash littering the sidewalks, vacant lots with weeds and trees literally covering the ground to heights of up to a few feet, as well as even graffiti on the walls. also, I had a respite worker who lived on the 1500 block of south komensky avenue who was so low income that whenever she'd get gasoline, she would almost never put more than $5 into the tank. Also, i even see quite a few entire apartment buildings that are vacant along south Central Park Avenue. When riding the cermak branch of the Blue Line rapid transit, i also have seen roofs that look like they were through a cyclone, holes in the sheathing, missing tiles, visibly sagging supports, and some only covered by tarpaper. From my experience, it sure seems that poverty is quite widespread on the west side. Has anyone else had that type of experience on chicago's west side?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 PM

404 posts, read 711,761 times
I see your point. I used to deliver pizza on the west side, and even though the gangsters never hassled me and even were decent tippers, the place is run down.

The reason is that the city isn't investing in community upkeep. It's all going to the south side for the Olympics. Of course this won;t excuse Daley for ignoring the slums over the last 19 years.

The other issue you have to take note of is that the people living there are ripping the place apart. Not everyone, it only takes one bad apple.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Chicagoans already know full well about the poverty on the West side. People all over the country know about the poverty on the West side. I don't get why you're pretending like you've discovered something new, except maybe to try to be provocative.

Oh, and thanks for the negative rep on this post, pizzaguy.

Last edited by Drover; 07-19-2007 at 11:45 PM..

Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Third world is hardly the right word. Is it extreme poverty in areas? No doubt. But even the most extreme areas have it better than people in 3rd world countries.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:37 AM

202 posts, read 271,184 times
The west side is deeply impoverished...as are portions of the south side, and yes, even areas on the north side. It's pervasive on the west side, no question.

But, third world? I've been to third world. Not even close.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
But, third world? I've been to third world. Not even close.
Im glad someone else realizes what the term means. People from the third world would think that folks from even the most hardcore of Chicago's west side neighborhoods were living like kings.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Third world is hardly the right word. Is it extreme poverty in areas? No doubt. But even the most extreme areas have it better than people in 3rd world countries.
No doubt about that. Here's an interesting thought: Earlier this week I drove past one of the remaining Cabrini Green towers on Division near Sedgewick. The parking lot was full of cars, and several of the units had satellite dishes hanging out the window. This is what we call poverty in America. The fact is, we haven't known true poverty in this country for decades. The primary reason poverty is still with us is because we keep defining poverty upward. If someone woke up from a 50-year coma today and you told them that someone could own their own home, 3 TVs, 2 running cars, a telephone line, a fridge full of food, be 40lbs overweight and STILL be in poverty, he'd probably tell you you're nuts.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No doubt about that. Here's an interesting thought: Earlier this week I drove past one of the remaining Cabrini Green towers on Division near Sedgewick. The parking lot was full of cars, and several of the units had satellite dishes hanging out the window. This is what we call poverty in America. The fact is, we haven't known true poverty in this country for decades. The primary reason poverty is still with us is because we keep defining poverty upward. If someone woke up from a 50-year coma today and you told them that someone could own their own home, 3 TVs, 2 running cars, a telephone line, a fridge full of food, be 40lbs overweight and STILL be in poverty, he'd probably tell you you're nuts.
Absolutely.

There are some areas of the country that are poorer than you can imagine. Ever been through New Mexico or nothern Arizona? Yikes. Some houses are dirt, and no doubt with dirt floors. Many delapidated trailers on blocks, some with no windows, still being lived in. Sad. But third world? No, not even close.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:30 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,249,584 times
I think that it is extremely sad to see the poverty in a country with the highest number of millionaires and billionaires of any industrialized country that we have such extreme poverty (moving beyond the west side, I'm talking more broadly); however, as people have suggested, it is not third world.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 20,613 times
Angry ???????????

Hello everyone. I just ran across this and I must say that I got kind of upset with what I read. I am from the Westside and I still live on the Westside. Some of the things said were true but some of the comments were just plain ignorant. Yes I do agree that there are some parts of the Westside that are not appealing to the eye but that goes for all parts of Chicago and other states as well. I can bet my last dollar that the people who made these comments live in the suburbs or on the Northside. News Flash they are building the Westside up as well as the other parts of the city. It will take time and the way I feel about it is if you won't contribute to the positive changes leave the negative comments to yourself. The comment made about us being happy the pizza man will deliver on this side of town was just something said by another "attention seeker/wanna be" that has nothing meaningful to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: