Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times

Advertisements

California does not have clinics that provide Rx for pot. It is as tightly regulated and controlled as morphine. MD's write the scripts but only a very few pharmacies can dispense it. My kid has cancer.

I would vote for medical pot but not for some willy-nilly law with little control in place. There is plenty available for recreational use as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 AM

674 posts, read 1,056,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
California does not have clinics that provide Rx for pot. It is as tightly regulated and controlled as morphine. MD's write the scripts but only a very few pharmacies can dispense it. My kid has cancer.

I would vote for medical pot but not for some willy-nilly law with little control in place. There is plenty available for recreational use as it is.
I'm sorry to hear that about your child.

But I don't think the issue isn't that there isn't enough for recreational use so much as it is an issue that recreational use that harms nobody else; so if someone with an illness benefiting from medical marijuana is using it, and a recreational users are as well - why not regulate and tax it without the distinction of medicinal vs. non-medicinal since either way a recreational user is going to purchase and use marijuana; which indirectly supports drug cartels. The legality of drugs does not create more drug addicts and marijuana is not a "drug" in the sense that "abuse" of marijuana is debilitating to ones health or safety that requires it to be a Schedule I narcotic or regulated beyond regulations similar to tobacco products.

Use is use; whether illegal or illegal. I don't understand the point behind "only if it's tightly controlled" if you knowingly admit that people who are not medical patients are major users not harming others as well.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 AM

There is no way I can say this without sounding rude. To fully understand how pot works and how people act with stoned you have to live with it, see it and hear the affects every day.

I have a problem with my grandson who tokes with his babies in his lap. He has not the brains of a gnat. His children have been sucking this smoke up since they were 3 days old and despite the fact the first one had lung problems. "Oh, it won't hurt." One is 5 and one is 2 years old. But it is only recreational use. He is irresponsible, can't hold a job, is self-centerd to the extreme. His recreational pot is more important than his children or supporting his children.

"It helps me relax." Run two miles, swim 20 laps in an olympic size pool, Put a speed bag in your garage (boxing) and work off your aggression, anger and tension, paint your house. You will be tired enough that you won't need pot and your mind will be clear when you wake up.

Sadly the grandson is not unusual. Recreational or not, pot is a chemical that affects the brain and indrectly affects behavior and rational thinking. I know the argument about tobacco. It does not cause erratic behaviour or fuzzy thinking; it's just plain dumb to smoke and I do it.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
There is no way I can say this without sounding rude. To fully understand how pot works and how people act with stoned you have to live with it, see it and hear the affects every day.

I have a problem with my grandson who tokes with his babies in his lap. He has not the brains of a gnat. His children have been sucking this smoke up since they were 3 days old and despite the fact the first one had lung problems. "Oh, it won't hurt." One is 5 and one is 2 years old. But it is only recreational use. He is irresponsible, can't hold a job, is self-centerd to the extreme. His recreational pot is more important than his children or supporting his children.

"It helps me relax." Run two miles, swim 20 laps in an olympic size pool, Put a speed bag in your garage (boxing) and work off your aggression, anger and tension, paint your house. You will be tired enough that you won't need pot and your mind will be clear when you wake up.

Sadly the grandson is not unusual. Recreational or not, pot is a chemical that affects the brain and indrectly affects behavior and rational thinking. I know the argument about tobacco. It does not cause erratic behaviour or fuzzy thinking; it's just plain dumb to smoke and I do it.
I'm going to try my best to say this without being rude as well. I smoke marijuana almost every day, multiple times a day. I also work full time; pay my bills (on time), and have fantastic credit. I'm also not self centered; and don't have children. Why is that? Because I am a responsible person who takes care of myself and control every aspect I'm capable of controlling with regard to my life. Not only this, many people that I know (I tend to enjoy green company) are also not delinquent; worthless citizens who also pay their bills on time, work full time and those that have children support them and are very loving parents. If you'd call the that "erratic behavior" then you and I have a differing opinion of what exactly that is. In fact, I think this "erratic" behavior you're describing would be the personal, conscious decisions of someone who uses pot or any other substance that absolutely does not produce 'erratic" behavior in itself so much as it is used by someone making poor decisions whether they're under the influence of an extremely mild (compared to drugs that do indeed cause truly erratic behavior), mind altering substance or not. A stupid person makes stupid choices whether or not they're using a harmless substance like marijuana or not.

So what does your grandson or anyone else that isn't capable of being a big boy or big girl have to do with me and my personal, private life or the personal private life of anyone else for that matter? Absolutely nothing.

What you're saying is that everyone should have their lives policed (or at least controlled) because a few make bad choices. Many children grow up with alcoholic parents; that doesn't mean everyone drinks irresponsibly or that alcohol should be made illegal. It means that your grandson and others should make better choices or that someone should report him/others for child endangerment if they feel there is a threat to the child's health and well being. That is how you go about correcting that situation - not by limiting or supporting the limitation of others rights because it's too hot in the kitchen for some to cope with.

As for cigarettes; they may not make your head "fuzzy" or produce the same instant "lofty" feeling that marijuana does; but I assure you that as a smoker, you find "relaxation" in getting your hourly dose of nicotine much the same. And if someone were to suddenly force you to quit smoking, based on your coping skills; you might find significant issues as a result stemming from irritability, mood swings and a variety of other factors beyond your control as a result. Not only that; but your secondhand tobacco smoke is far more dangerous than your grandsons secondhand marijuana smoke. I'm not implying that you've smoked around your great-grandchildren; I'm just stating it as a matter of fact in general. Not only that, but marijuana smoke which is relatively harmless other than the CO2 that it produces (like any combustion) is being inhaled directly by whomever is smoking, as well as any trace ash that may be present as well. Exhaling said smoke has been "filtered" by the lungs already, as well as the mucous coating the throat leaving most of the toxins behind in whomever is directly smoking. Secondhand smoke from tobacco on the other hand comes from a continuously lit, not filtered waft of smoke that is free to drift around to others. Unless you're smoking a joint or a blunt (stick to glass my fellow tokers) you're not reproducing that effect; and even then you're not burning hundreds of chemicals used in the curing and growing of tobacco; you're burning marijuana. People get a whiff of secondhand tobacco smoke and can start choking on it alone. Nobody chokes on second marijuana smoke; even the ones who complain of the smell.

And if that still doesn't work for you; purchase a vaporizer and enjoy the benefits of THC without combustion at all. A fantastic, safe alternative for those fearing smoke.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
We're like, all for it, man...

Old 01-22-2012, 03:31 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,739,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
why not regulate and tax it
Too many employees to hire, and law suits to deal with. Not to mention, the revenue that would be lost from drug busts.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Too many employees to hire, and law suits to deal with. Not to mention, the revenue that would be lost from drug busts.
What employees?

Why would there suddenly be a need for more employees on a dramatic scale if available places such as convenience stores and gas stations (both of which currently sell federally regulated tobacco and alcohol) begin to sell marijuana as well?

Also, "law suits" is a very big broad scope, could you possibly narrow it down a bit?

And if you think money is being made from drug busts, then you should look into not only how expensive it is to enforce current drug laws; but also the real work it takes away from people who could be doing more important things as a result of our legal system being clogged with drug related issues. That's 10 times more expensive, time consuming and at the end of the day pointless since people are going to do drugs whether they're legal or not. Which is why taxation, regulation and implementation of a new policy is the most effective way for this country to respond to drug usage. It's time people started living in the real world, face the facts - which are that drug use in general concerning marijuana is not harmful; especially with the younger generation that's actually going to end up changing these laws anyways within the next 10-15 years vs. waiting for everyone who pretends the world is full of June, Ward, Wally and Beave Cleaver behind closed doors and believe that the current system works.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:52 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
Quote:

That's very extreme. I smoke pot if someone has it, my parent smoke pot, their parents smoke pot. My friends almost all smoke pot. None of them are doing it EVERY day or anything. They're doing it like most people are who smoke pot, just the same as most people who go out and drink. They're doing it from time to time to have fun.

Medical or not, there's a huge population out there who smoke pot from time to time and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Getting high with kids on your lap and making excuses about why you aren't doing anything with your life isn't pot's fault. They're going to drift through life and do nothing regardless of if there's marijuana sitting there to smoke or not. At some point people need to take responsibility.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM

Here's a thought. The #2 killer in Illinois behind heart issues is mold spored.

If everyone toked responsibly, I would not have one objection, but they don't.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Here's a thought. The #2 killer in Illinois behind heart issues is mold spored.

If everyone toked responsibly, I would not have one objection, but they don't.
Not everyone drinks responsibly, drives responsibly, or is responsible in general concerning other aspects of their lives.

That doesn't mean the federal government deems these activities illegal.

The issue is personal irresponsibility. Don't punish those who have their "sh*t" together because a few do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago