Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I know Chicago is alot larger and has a larger African American population, but I'm from Houston, and Having a huge population of Blacks doesn't concern me. Density is overrated to me (I've said this before but, whats so good about living 2 feet away from your neighbor?), The food here isn't weird at all. Denver is filled with Chain restraunts, so thats a strange statement. I don't think Denver needs all the trains and busses mainly due to it being a small city. Also, I don't think that it gets "Country"...The city has to end somewhere..right?

But what really sets these places apart...i'm talking about..

The Scenery
The Climate
The People
The Food
etc...How are these things the same? How are they different??

Thanks for the responses so far.!
You could answer these questions yourself with a small amount of research. Some of the obvious answers to your question would be...

The scenery: Chicago is flat, Denver has mountains. Chicago has Lake Michigan, Denver has mountains. Chicago is massive, Denver is a mid-sized city.

The climate: Chicago is hot in the summer and cold and wet in the winter.

The People: Are all different everywhere you go, despite what incorrect generalities are presented to you from the thousands of experts online who say otherwise. I've found jerk offs, idiots, great people and friends everywhere. Location isn't important.

The Food: Never been to Denver, so I can't say. But anybody who has trouble finding good food in Chicago should steer clear of the dollar menu at McDonald's and also do some research.

I disagree with your stance on density, however. Part of the reason you can walk a block away from your home in Chicago and get all of your groceries, shopping, entertainment and dining needs fulfilled is due to high density and demand for all of these amenities. Same with excellent public transportation. The more people living or utilizing one area, chances are the better the transportation to that area will be.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I know Chicago is alot larger and has a larger African American population, but I'm from Houston, and Having a huge population of Blacks doesn't concern me. Density is overrated to me (I've said this before but, whats so good about living 2 feet away from your neighbor?), The food here isn't weird at all. Denver is filled with Chain restraunts, so thats a strange statement. I don't think Denver needs all the trains and busses mainly due to it being a small city. Also, I don't think that it gets "Country"...The city has to end somewhere..right?

But what really sets these places apart...i'm talking about..

The Scenery
The Climate
The People
The Food
etc...How are these things the same? How are they different??

Thanks for the responses so far.!
You asked us what's different. And we are telling you. No one is saying its better. Stop defending denver for no reason.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:48 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
You asked us what's different. And we are telling you. No one is saying its better. Stop defending denver for no reason.
Seriously? Like you wouldn't defend Chicago if someone said something that seemed to be a misunderstanding?...And you did tell me what was different, however I needed more is all. Don't get all upset please.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Everyone bashes Chicago.
We're used to it. So no. I would not defend it on here.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:35 AM

308 posts, read 757,688 times
The biggest difference I have found between the two cities is this:

In Denver, it was harder for me to find something to do. I have visited several times when I had family who lived there and there was just less activities. I know there is a lot of outdoor activities to do but besides that we had a hard time finding new things. I have never had that problem in Chicago.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 AM

81 posts, read 238,586 times
I just do not get you people at all. Why is it such a deterrent or a negative if a place has a large African American population. It almost seems like you are informing the OP that due to the fact that this place has a significant black population it is a con. I am starting to think that you folks carry some big time racial tendencies.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 AM

622 posts, read 1,196,588 times
i don't know that there was any negative connotation....just a statement. i've been to denver many times and the biggest differences i can think of are as follows:

denver is more "country" and has somewhat of a southwest feel in parts. chicago certainly has hispanic areas but it's different.

chicago has a big polish influence that denver doesn't have.

chicago has a vibrant and walkable downtown. this is partly due to the good public transportation system.

denver has 100x more subarus

the hipster crowd is different there. more mountain/outdoors oriented than fixie/crappy clothes/artsy like chicago

better local beers in denver

better sausage/beefs/hot dogs in chicago

chicago seems to have the union/democratic machine/city deficit thing hanging over it.

denver's airport is 100 miles outside the city.

people come to chicago to party, visit the sports teams, see the museums, etc. denver seems to be a destination for those wanting to enjoy nature.

etc. etc.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I just do not get you people at all. Why is it such a deterrent or a negative if a place has a large African American population. It almost seems like you are informing the OP that due to the fact that this place has a significant black population it is a con. I am starting to think that you folks carry some big time racial tendencies.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM

63 posts, read 140,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
Why do you think everyone here plugs the same 5 or 6 north side neighborhoods so hard when some asks where to move?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted View Post
Why do you think everyone here plugs the same 5 or 6 north side neighborhoods so hard when some asks where to move?
Cause they're the BEST!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago