Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 PM

186 posts, read 587,849 times

Advertisements

I've heard so many wondeful things about Chicago and I want to know some specific things about Chicago to search for during my visit. First, whats downtown Chicago like, and the waterfront. Second, what are the neighborhoods like, are they safe and do they have good architecture. Lastly, how are the schools and shopping, I also want to know anything else you can tell me. All posts are appreciated, Shrewsbury Road
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
Obviously, the weather blows but you're from Detroit so you know what is up. Right now it is 55 degrees on June 10th and its' been like this since June started. This is not the norm but not irregular either. Getting past the weather...

Chicago offers everything under the sun. There are perfect neighborhoods and neighborhoods the worst that America has to offer. Chicago is 2nd to none when it comes to Architecture so you will be wowed by that. Chicago offers some of the best private schools in America but the Chicago Public School system isn't exactly a shining example of a great education. The shopping is just as good as any big city, IMO, but the sales taxes are so high that it can really pound your wallet.

The Parks are amazing as well as the Universities. Chicago has dozens of Universities in the loop (or close to it) alone. It's a great place for higher education.

People may come off as distant or stand offish but as soon as you talk to them you'll see that they are really cool and down to earth. They're not snobbish like you see on the West Coast and they're more laid back than those intense east coasters.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,538 times
Chicago is pretty much what detroit could have been, had they not revolved the local economy around gm.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
It's like Detroit with the nice parts of Queens and a tiny slice of Manhattan attached to it.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:35 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's like Detroit with the nice parts of Queens and a tiny slice of Manhattan attached to it.
YUCK!!! and NO WAY!!! If you think Chicago is like Detroit perhaps you should go spend a week or two in Detroit.
Are you a native of Chicago/suburbs? I for one love Chicago. I wish I could go visit my family more than once a year just to go into the city. LOVE CHICAGO and I hope the OP will too. Have fun!!

Last edited by whatnow; 06-10-2009 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Default Thank You At1WithNature

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Obviously, the weather blows but you're from Detroit so you know what is up. Right now it is 55 degrees on June 10th and its' been like this since June started. This is not the norm but not irregular either. Getting past the weather...

Chicago offers everything under the sun. There are perfect neighborhoods and neighborhoods the worst that America has to offer. Chicago is 2nd to none when it comes to Architecture so you will be wowed by that. Chicago offers some of the best private schools in America but the Chicago Public School system isn't exactly a shining example of a great education. The shopping is just as good as any big city, IMO, but the sales taxes are so high that it can really pound your wallet.

The Parks are amazing as well as the Universities. Chicago has dozens of Universities in the loop (or close to it) alone. It's a great place for higher education.

People may come off as distant or stand offish but as soon as you talk to them you'll see that they are really cool and down to earth. They're not snobbish like you see on the West Coast and they're more laid back than those intense east coasters.
This will realy help with my visit to Chicago and I'll tell my friends because I have one who was interested in moving to Chicago. You know that we in Detroit aren't a stranger to bad weather but 55 degrees in June does sound unusual. Also you may know that Detroit has some awful neighborhoods but we still have some that are still stable like the Sherwood Forest Historic Distict where I live. I would think though since President Obama used to have his daughters attending private school there. I'm in no position to criticize the Chicago school district because the Detroit Public School system is literally in a crisis. While in Chicago I'll be sure to visit some of the parks and take a look at some universities because I love parks and like Chicago, Detroit has nice parks and Universities too. If you can, please tell the names of some of the parks and thank you.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:38 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Chicago is pretty much what detroit could have been, had they not revolved the local economy around gm.
Wow, I always thought that too. I always wondered why Detroit wasn't more awesome - they have a pretty awesome location as far as the midwest goes. Got to love our Great Lakes!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,011 times
Apparently we Chicagoans are all fat, passive-aggressive, racist thugs.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
Obviously, the big park is millenium park. Then there is Grant Park. There is a nice little "Zen Garden" in front of the Aon Center...it's my secret garden if you will.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Obviously, the big park is millenium park. Then there is Grant Park. There is a nice little "Zen Garden" in front of the Aon Center...it's my secret garden if you will.
I'll especially take a visit to Grant Park, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago