Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow View Post
YUCK!!! and NO WAY!!! If you think Chicago is like Detroit perhaps you should go spend a week or two in Detroit.
Are you a native of Chicago/suburbs? I for one love Chicago. I wish I could go visit my family more than once a year just to go into the city. LOVE CHICAGO and I hope the OP will too. Have fun!!
Yes, I live here. Do you? There are whole swaths of Chicago that are just as bad as Detroit in terms of crime and quality of life but the city also has very nice parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 03:52 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,084 times
Drover you forgot to add the entire professional population has not fled en masse to the suburbs as it has in detroit.

Some one told me some of their sports venues are even located in the suburbs(like how the texas rangers are in arlington not dallas)..not sure if its true...

Old 06-10-2009, 03:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Obviously, the big park is millenium park. Then there is Grant Park. There is a nice little "Zen Garden" in front of the Aon Center...it's my secret garden if you will.
I rarely go to the parks in the loop unless I'm cutting through or have to kill time before a meeting so if the OP is looking to venture outside of the box I would recommend Humboldt Park, Garfield Park, the park off of 59th and the lake with the Japanese gardens near S&I and Washington Park. All of them except the one on 59th are in pretty sketchy areas but there shouldn't be any issues in the daylight hours.

ETA: I looked it up, the park on 59th is called Jackson.

Last edited by surlycue; 06-10-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Drover you forgot to add the entire professional population has not fled en masse to the suburbs as it has in detroit.

Some one told me some of their sports venues are even located in the suburbs(like how the texas rangers are in arlington not dallas)..not sure if its true...
Many sports teams across the country are located in the suburbs (for instance the only NFL team that actually plays in the state of New York is the Buffalo Bills and even they don't play in Buffalo) so I don't regard this as a particularly strong indictment of Detroit. The fact that all of Chicago's major sports venues are actually in the city seems to be more unusual than having one or more of them in the suburbs.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:59 PM

186 posts, read 588,106 times
Default Thank You surlycue

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I rarely go to the parks in the loop unless I'm cutting through or have to kill time before a meeting so if the OP is looking to venture outside of the box I would recommend Humboldt Park, Garfield Park, the park off of 59th and the lake with the Japanese gardens near S&I and Washington Park. All of them except the one on 59th are in pretty sketchy areas but there shouldn't be any issues in the daylight hours.
You know I'm hearing Zen Gardens and Japanese gardens, are these exclusive parks for wealthy Chicagoans?

Old 06-10-2009, 04:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
You know I'm hearing Zen Gardens and Japanese gardens, are these exclusive parks for wealthy Chicagoans?
Que? No, not at all. The Zen garden is a fairly small city lot in the loop that serves as a nice break for loop workers and a quiet retreat for everyone. The Japanese garden is also small, though larger than the Zen counterpart. It has a bubbling brook with a little picturesque wooden bridge and bonzai trees and cherry blossoms. I love that place because it is right on the lake, near the science and industry museum and a close walk to UofC so it's a wonderful and not often traveled half day for tourists. The Fountain of Time is also about a half mile down 59th from there and has some nice history of its own.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM

186 posts, read 588,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Que? No, not at all. The Zen garden is a fairly small city lot in the loop that serves as a nice break for loop workers and a quiet retreat for everyone. The Japanese garden is also small, though larger than the Zen counterpart. It has a bubbling brook with a little picturesque wooden bridge and bonzai trees and cherry blossoms. I love that place because it is right on the lake, near the science and industry museum and a close walk to UofC so it's a wonderful and not often traveled half day for tourists. The Fountain of Time is also about a half mile down 59th from there and has some nice history of its own.
Thats sounds nice. It must also be a good place to walk a dog. Where are all the country clubs?

Old 06-10-2009, 05:18 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes, I live here. Do you? There are whole swaths of Chicago that are just as bad as Detroit in terms of crime and quality of life but the city also has very nice parts.
I lived there for 22 yrs (6 to 28), but like a lot of people my job took me out of state. I have a large family in the city and visit at least once a year. One of the best parts of visiting, is I do things that tourists do and have a lot of fun.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:53 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Many sports teams across the country are located in the suburbs (for instance the only NFL team that actually plays in the state of New York is the Buffalo Bills and even they don't play in Buffalo) so I don't regard this as a particularly strong indictment of Detroit. The fact that all of Chicago's major sports venues are actually in the city seems to be more unusual than having one or more of them in the suburbs.
The soccer team is located in the suburb of Bridgeview. Idk if that is consider a major sport around here. And I think the hockey team is located in the suburbs too.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Like I said... all of the major sports venues... And the Blackhawks play in the United Center in West Town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago