Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:15 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'd give him longer than 30 minutes to find Adams and Lake.
ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
You are wrong. I am sorry for your experience. I have many Latina and black friends. Chicago may be different from here but I know everyone doesn't have the same view you do.
Everyone doesn't, but a lot of people do as Chicago is most definitely different than where you are now (or from anywhere else, for that matter).

It's not about your new neighbors disliking you as a white person, it's that in poorer long-segregated areas you may be associated with gentrification/the neighborhood being overrun with more well-to-do folks in general. It's more of a class thing, basically.

I'd put it this way - go back in time to the early or mid-90s and imagine what the all-black residents of Cabrini Green were thinking as little pockets of wealthy white folks started moving into the nearby vicinity in new townhomes and condos.

Should they have been suspicious that meant they were getting eased out? I'd say history certainly suggests so, and I'd say this dynamic goes much further back than the 90s, and that people in Chicago have long memories.

All that said, in my experience, when you live somewhere for a while your neighbors tend to treat you as an individual and not a category.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Cut the Okie some slack...

Quote:
Adams and Lake are parallel e-w streets, one is near the southern end of the Loop and the other is the official north edge of the Loop.

I am guessing the OP's hubby is probably working near LaSalle & Adams, that would be the corner where the Rookery is the most well known builidng...

The Rookery: Area Information

Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
You are wrong. I am sorry for your experience. I have many Latina and black friends. Chicago may be different from here but I know everyone doesn't have the same view you do. Here's another naive question: If the "unspoken and agreed upon seperation" works fine, then why do you think latino and black children must have "grown up WAY faster... to put it mildly"? Do you think it works just fine that my kids deserve to live in a better area and go to better schools because I'm white? That sounds like a way outdated and ridiculous point of view. By the way, what neighborhood do you live in?
No, but they don't deserve mediocre schools and neighborhoods where going to the local park may put them in harms way. You can find BOTH the diversity you desire and find good schools and safe neighborhoods for your kids, they are not mutually exclusive. I am gaining first hand experience with Latino kids my kids are friends with and so far a lot of it reflects how the kids are brought up. I know families who move out from the city because they want better schools, safer parks & neighborhoods and a diverse environment where there are kids who are different yet enough who are similar.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
so far a lot of it reflects how the kids are brought up.
I'd put in a nutshell as follows - some people correct/discipline their kids. Some people don't. I wouldn't make a sweeping generalization based on race to explain it, but I think in general it's fair to say the poorer the parent the more everyday stresses they have in life and the less time they have to raise/discipline their kids.

It's a sad thing every time (and I've heard it a lot) a parent resorts to "he ain't my kid no more, he was raised by the streets"

Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I'd put in a nutshell as follows - some people correct/discipline their kids. Some people don't. I wouldn't make a sweeping generalization based on race to explain it, but I think in general it's fair to say the poorer the parent the more everyday stresses they have in life and the less time they have to raise/discipline their kids.

It's a sad thing every time (and I've heard it a lot) a parent resorts to "he ain't my kid no more, he was raised by the streets"
You are correct! I meant it as a compliment but it didn't come across that way. It is also not based on income; I know kids from "well to do" homes who are rude as can be and others who have impeccable manners.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
You are correct! I meant it as a compliment but it didn't come across that way. It is also not based on income; I know kids from "well to do" homes who are rude as can be and others who have impeccable manners.
Definitely - wealthier families I knew growing up often had parents who traveled constantly for work and weren't on hand for their kids.

So maybe the way to put it is that it's not necessarily based on income, but that money does go a long way towards smoothing over lousy manners, a luxury poor people don't have.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,636 times
Has anyone recommended Jefferson Park? There is also a nice little pocket really northwest neighborhoods that are safer options as well (have friends there now). I understand the whole urban thing- I grew up in the city any my grandmother lives in Humboldt Park right on division st. I love going to visit and going to eat and people watch, and driving my kids around my old neighborhoods. but it stops there. You couldn't pay be to live there for the simple safety factor. If I'm paying 1,500/month in rent- I want my kids to be able to ride their bikes, play basketball outside with like-minded sweet children. I want to be able to walk around my "neighborhood" and have something in common with other parents. I want to be able to laugh about the same thing and talk about sports with my neighbor. But then again thats just what I value as a parent- to each their own. Also- you aren't gonna find a network of open-minded homeschooling parents in humboldt park. Also- will you be homeschooling throughout because CPS is ludacris and OMG- clemente high school-- not gonna work out.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:07 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charadeiam View Post
Well I'll go ahead and say it since no one else will: Those latinos and blacks you're so fond of--they don't like you. To them you are just some naive white folks who are probably carrying an iphone or laptop and who probably have some expensive stuff in their apartment. Your kids will go to school with kids who have grown up WAY faster than them to put it mildly. The city has an unspoken agreed upon segregation that works fine. If you must live in Humboldt, the area around Iowa/Campbell which is largely Ukrainian is probably best. Or you can do the unthinkable and live with your own kind in Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Ukrainian Village, Bucktown, River North, Old Town, etc.
This may sound like a harsh analysis but it's not. It's pretty darn accurate. "growing up way too fast" can mean many things-- 13yr old pregnant girls, teenagers smoking marijuana with their parents, kids "hustling" on the streets just to get by. We are not exaggerating- seen it, lived it. Just trying to help you out. The minorities are NOT going to give up their neighborhoods. There will war before humboldt park becomes 100% gentrified. But hey- crazier things have happened

Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 PM

400 posts, read 566,507 times
Quote:
sorry it's on Lake street, not Adams I was confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago