Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:57 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
A minor correction: Oak Park is about 20% African-American, not 50%.
Sure enough. I just checked the census website. I'd swear every time I see an article about Oak Park it boasts that the village is half white and half black. And most of my experience with Oak Park has been in the south end of the village, which is where most of the black population is. That might have thrown off my perspective as well. Well, that's good news for the OP if they decide on Berwyn, they'll be near the south end of Oak Park!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 AM

31 posts, read 167,356 times
Humboldt Park is pretty dangerous, its leading in Homicides again of all Chicago neighborhoods as it has for decades.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
10 pages and only 3 posts really talking about schools. FOCUS ON THE SCHOOLS YOUR KIDS WILL ATTEND. Chicago Public Schools run the gamut from dreadful to excellent and unless your neighborhood school is good, trying to get into a magnet school can have its challenges.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
10 pages and only 3 posts really talking about schools. Focus on the schools your kids will attend. Chicago public schools run the gamut from dreadful to excellent and unless your neighborhood school is good, trying to get into a magnet school can have its challenges.
she home schools!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:58 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
she home schools!!!!!!
And if she goes into buying a home thinking "The schools are not that important becaus I home school" and then her situation changes and she is now thinking "Wow, I want to send my kids to middle school (or high school) but the local schools really suck; now what do I do?" that would be called penny-wise and dollar foolish. Or a short-sighted decision.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:17 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And if she goes into buying a home thinking "The schools are not that important becaus I home school" and then her situation changes and she is now thinking "Wow, I want to send my kids to middle school (or high school) but the local schools really suck; now what do I do?" that would be called penny-wise and dollar foolish. Or a short-sighted decision.
IIRC, she was looking to rent, not buy

Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 PM

8 posts, read 7,614 times
Well I'll go ahead and say it since no one else will: Those latinos and blacks you're so fond of--they don't like you. To them you are just some naive white folks who are probably carrying an iphone or laptop and who probably have some expensive stuff in their apartment. Your kids will go to school with kids who have grown up WAY faster than them to put it mildly. The city has an unspoken agreed upon segregation that works fine. If you must live in Humboldt, the area around Iowa/Campbell which is largely Ukrainian is probably best. Or you can do the unthinkable and live with your own kind in Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Ukrainian Village, Bucktown, River North, Old Town, etc.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Charadaiem,

Not all minorities are hostile towards yuppies and whites. I have great relationships with my hispanic renters.

I have certainly had my challenges with some of the poorer and less educated in Humboldt Park but for the most part the residents are good people, many of whom would notify you if you dropped your smartphone or ipod instead of taking it. There are certainly quite a few bad apples but thoses bad apples should mostly be pushed out over the next 10-20 years as the area gentrifies.

I think it is very possible that in 20-30 years Humboldt Park will no longer be considered the Hood. This is my hope.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Well, do you need to be white? If not, that could help a lot if you move there.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Hope springs eternal... (especially when that "spring" has your name on the deed)

Once upon a time I too had all kinds of hope for crummy areas, but a more sober analysis of just what anomaly the multi-decade run up in national real estate represents gives one pause. The south suburbs, the south east side, the well worn inner ring suburbs, the post WWII ranch heavy near northwest burbs, former industrial area along the north lake front of the Fox River... Just too many places that have too much entropy to fight...

Now don't get me wrong, there are always way for a local development effort to help pop some real estate prices, and if you don't mind shopping for properties in poor condition and/or listed by sellers in financial distress INDIVIDUAL efforts at speculation can still be lucrative...

I just doubt that the forces for widespread price run-ups will occur in the next decade / dozen years (and I kinda thought you posted something in the 15 years of sinking real estate thread, which is decidedly more pessimistic than I am comfortable with) -- I see LOTS of areas that will be flat or declining and a far narrower number of places that will continue to grow in desirability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Charadaiem,

Not all minorities are hostile towards yuppies and whites. I have great relationships with my hispanic renters.

I have certainly had my challenges with some of the poorer and less educated in Humboldt Park but for the most part the residents are good people, many of whom would notify you if you dropped your smartphone or ipod instead of taking it. There are certainly quite a few bad apples but thoses bad apples should mostly be pushed out over the next 10-20 years as the area gentrifies.

I think it is very possible that in 20-30 years Humboldt Park will no longer be considered the Hood. This is my hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago