Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

to the OP, I guess it would depend on what "too noisy" is for you. some people have no real issues living right next to the el tracks. there are buses to be concerned about, along with general traffic. I used to live not too far from that intersection and will tell you that the area does get noisy at times. ESPECIALLY during the annual Puerto Rican fesitval that takes place at the park. expect tons of fireworks, some gun shots, and LOTS of horn honking.

I personally wouldn't live right on that intersection (probably move a block further north or south), but I've heard good things about that building (assuming, of course, you're talking about the building right at the corner or North and California, but I don't know of any other building that would fit the description), mostly from dog owners who love how dog friendly it is and how convenient it is to the park.

and yes, it is Humboldt Park. It's East Humboldt Park, which is not as bad as West Humboldt Park, but it does have its edge that not like Bucktown from my experience. I personally would be a bit leery of anyone billing this area as Bucktown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
If you live near enough to either California or Francisco, you'll get the pleasure of listening to the North Avenue bus announce itself on its external speaker every few minutes for 20 hours a day.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
California and North isn't the worst, it gets really dicey after Kedzie however. I often get hit up for cash by crackheads and smackheads begging outside the gas station located there.

Last edited by Savoir Faire; 02-01-2011 at 12:30 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Yeah, I really wish Cemitas Puebla would move a mile east. Just once I'd like to eat there without getting sized up by sidewalk toughs.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
If one is not from Chicago one probably would not ever know that Humboldt Park is a neighborhood and community area, as well as a park.

I am willing to bet these people have not been in Chicago long or have never lived here.

That is why a forum like this is important for people looking to relocate. We can cut through the agent's and landlord's lies.

Which is one reason why some people hate me so much. I have no monetary interest when I give advice in this forum.
Agreed 100%. People moving to the City from out-of-state for work are especially vulnerable, as they often have little time to make an educated choice. The Trib had a story on this during the boom, and "West Bucktown" was actually the bogus neighborhood they zeroed in on in terms of complaints from renters and condo buyers.

The only fake neighborhood I've seen to rival West Bucktown is West Roscoe Village, but the housing bust has really smothered both of those bastard children in their sleep.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, I really wish Cemitas Puebla would move a mile east. Just once I'd like to eat there without getting sized up by sidewalk toughs.
I dont know what the big deal about their darn Cemitas are. Their taco arabes are good tho

Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 824 times
I live on North Avenue a few blocks east of the 2800 block. While my address is North Avenue, my home doesn't face North Avenue. It is extremely quiet. I never hear North Avenue at all. Now, you said the unit that interests you has a living room that faces North Avenue. That may present a difference, but I really don't know. I'd suspect that your bedroom off of North Avenue would be very quiet. I've lived in the neighborhood for upwards of 5 years and love it. Humboldt Park is a treasure, and the mix of people in the area is soul enriching. Do get involved in the West Bucktown Neighborhood Association! It's a great organization that brings that neighborhood together.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:48 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Yeah, that's Humboldt Park not "West Bucktown" (And not Logan Square as some of the Silver District adverts were saying)
I mean, crap, it looks out over the Park itself.
There will be a lot of city noise for anyone living in that building (especially in the summer) not to mention the construction that is going to happen next door (Not sure what they're building, but its big. Probably another apartment/condo complex)

Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Bucktown Chicago View Post
Do get involved in the West Bucktown Neighborhood Association! It's a great organization that brings that neighborhood together.
you can't bring a neighborhood together that doesn't exist. what you are doing is building barriers between newer more affluent residents and existing ones.

I am not some knee-jerk apologist for poor people, and not a fan of the whole "it's gotta stay Rican" vibe, but this is beyond a stretch.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
[quote=West Bucktown Chicago;17671801] Do get involved in the West Bucktown Neighborhood Association! quote]

There is an association for a neighborhood that doesnt exist? I dont understand why people try to fancy up the names of their own neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago