Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
But even if you are born here, if you are a failure, you might not get to stay.
ROFL! I see plenty of people living here whom I'd classify as "failures".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I know of many who live in rural parts of the Tennessee who do more in life than people who live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park and the Gold Coast. It seems that thought process is the same as the one that thinks people are more sophisticated in the big 3. Its a bunch of crap!!!

I personally love the urban lifestyle of "the big3". At the same time I've lived all over the country and know better than what's being preached by some.
^This.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Actually, many on the coasts -- rightly or wrongly -- consider Chicago to be part of "flyover country" as well.
Everybody that I have known from the coast respects Chicago. They know Chicago is a real city and when they come here to visit, they will get the same great food, entertainment and world class culture they have at home. That is why millions of people come here every year. We may be "second city" but we do not play second fiddle to anybody. This is world class. As good as it gets.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 AM

103 posts, read 257,762 times
Quote:
If you live in Cook, DuPage, Henry, Lake (IL), Lake(IN) or Kenosha (WI), you are Chicago because you live within the sphere of influence of Chicago.
I would consider most of Cook County similar to Chicago and consider it as part of the culture surrounding the area since a lot of people from the city ended up settling outside in the suburbs but I still think a lot of the city people look down on the suburbs in general.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
Actually, many on the coasts -- rightly or wrongly -- consider Chicago to be part of "flyover country" as well.
I like it that way. The underdogs no one is watching for.

Obama goes to office.
Ryan sells CDL's.
Blago does his hair.

Everytime they turn around Chicago does something that makes everyone sit up and take notice.

I like to think you can get an urban living experience at a much more affordable rate because it gets 'too cold.'
California is just bonkers. Bat$*17 crazy. That's all I have to say about Cali.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
I would consider most of Cook County similar to Chicago and consider it as part of the culture surrounding the area since a lot of people from the city ended up settling outside in the suburbs but I still think a lot of the city people look down on the suburbs in general.
A lot of us that live in the suburbs were born in the city.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM

778 posts, read 998,271 times
Quote:

I like it that way.

I see the coasts as a filter for the neurotic folks that would ruin Chicago.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
A lot of us that live in the suburbs were born in the city.
You're more likely to find someone whose family has been in Chicagoland for generations in ANY SUBURB than the north side of Chicago which is filled with transplants. Suburbanites almost always have family roots in the city.

I was born in Harvey, IL and I'm proud of it.

Last edited by urza216; 12-31-2012 at 02:45 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
You're more likely to find someone whose family has been in Chicagoland for generations in ANY SUBURB than the north side of Chicago which is filled with transplants. Suburbanites almost always have family roots in the city.

I was born in Harvey, IL and I'm proud of it.
I was born in Chicago Hope and now I am available on DVD!

Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
I was born in Chicago Hope and now I am available on DVD!
Fictional hospital, lol. I was born in Ingalls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago