Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post

Okay, Mr. Literalist, if you're going by population, fine. In that case, the Illinois portion of Chicagoland vs. the rest of Illinois (8.7 million of 12.9 million) is a 67/33 split, not 80/20.

For the rest of us, who are not simpleton morons, we were speaking of cultural influence and impact, in which case NYC to Upstate New York is about 80/20 and Chicago to Downstate Illinois is about 90/10.

You edited your post for that? How long did it take you to come up with that zinger?
He thought LONG and HARD on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM

778 posts, read 998,436 times
Quote:

Okay, Mr. Literalist, if you're going by population, fine. In that case, the Illinois portion of Chicagoland vs. the rest of Illinois (8.7 million of 12.9 million) is a 67/33 split, not 80/20.

For the rest of us, who are not simpleton morons, we were speaking of cultural influence and impact,
in which case NYC to Upstate New York is about 80/20 and Chicago to Downstate Illinois is about 90/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Isn't New York pretty similar? All the action is near the city, upstate gets progressively rural?
Quote:
For the most part, yes, though New York has two more metro areas (Buffalo and Rochester) with over 1 million people, and at least two others (Albany and Syracuse) with over half a million. After Chicago, the largest metro area in Illinois is the Quad Cities with 380,000, part of which is in Iowa.

The biggest difference to me, though, is that rural Upstate New York has lots of beautiful mountains, lakes, and huge forests, while rural Downstate Illinois is nearly all farm land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Once you get north of I-90 ( the Albany/Syracuse/Rochester/Buffalo line), the population really peters out, and you get into the deep forest, along with some dairying and paper milling ( the stench!), and the Adirondecks...

You were discussing culture and impact and not population? Really?

Here you go again, making things up in hopes of making yourself look better when you just look like an idiot.

Hopefully you were smacking yourself there.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
You were discussing culture and impact and not population? Really?
Not much for reading between the lines, are you?

Words like "rural" and phrases like "where the action is" have sociological implications that go beyond population numbers. I can't tell if you honestly didn't know that or if you're being obtuse. Either way, please fix it.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
He thought LONG and HARD on that one.

Man, you both are really getting a kick out of these homoerotic insults. You boys hiding something?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Not much for reading between the lines, are you?

Words like "rural" and phrases like "where the action is" have sociological implications that go beyond population numbers. I can't tell if you honestly didn't know that or if you're being obtuse. Either way, please fix it.

Gee, silly me.

I guess I just got off track when you mentioned metro populations.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM

Go ahead ChiNaan, keep backtracking.

"When I mentioned populations, I was really referring to uh... grass!" Yeah, grass! Thats it!"

Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Man, you both are really getting a kick out of these homoerotic insults. You boys hiding something?
No, it's a common, everyday expression. You must be awfully young..

Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
No, it's a common, everyday expression. You must be awfully young..

You really stressed long and hard by putting it in caps. Thats not really common.

Seems to me like you were implying something more than their literal meaning.

Come on fellas, I know the internet is full of clowns and morons but youre making this too easy.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
For the most part, yes, though New York has two more metro areas (Buffalo and Rochester) with over 1 million people, and at least two others (Albany and Syracuse) with over half a million. After Chicago, the largest metro area in Illinois is the Quad Cities with 380,000, part of which is in Iowa.
After Chicago, the largest metro area in Illinois is the Metro East portion of Saint Louis at ~ 700,000 people; after that, the largest metro area completely in Illinois is Peoria, with ~ 375,000 people. Certainly the metro areas outside of Chicago are smaller than those outside of NYC, but I think the comparison is still apt; i.e., the overall influence of upstate NY is dwarfed by that of NYC, and likewise the overall influence of downstate IL is dwarfed by that of Chicagoland. The states are in relatively similar situations.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think the comparison is still apt; i.e., the overall influence of upstate NY is dwarfed by that of NYC, and likewise the overall influence of downstate IL is dwarfed by that of Chicagoland. The states are in relatively similar situations.
I agree completely. I'd have left it at that and avoided delving into subtleties had I known anyone would be unable to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago