Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And to those who live in Chicago, despise the suburbs and everything else Illinois, I say to you: get a life. And if you dont like Illinois for whatever, pack your bags and get out.
Well, I, for one, do not "despise" the suburbs and the rest of Illinois. I'm just indifferent to it.

It's just not on my radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:38 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
This is coming from a native Chicagoan, so take it for what it's worth:

I am neither proud or ashamed to be a native of Illinoise, but I usually say Im a native of Chicago.

In my life there seemed to be more connection to Wisconsin. My granparents had family connections there (Grandmother was born in Milwaukee) and that is where we went for vacation (northern Wisconsin)and Sunday picnics (Lake Geneva and Pell Lake) and occasional drives to the state fair (Wisconsin state fair was in Milwaukee, or really West Allis), and train rides on the Hiawatha for a day at the 'Dells.

Illinois was "out there somewhere", south of Joliet and west of the Fox River Valley, known only via Tribune sunday features on Galena and places like that. My family did travel down through Illinois, but only to visit friends of my mother in St Louis or Bloomington/Normal....back then it was the old US 66 (and partially I-55).

We never ever went down there for vacation or recreation.

The single exception being when my uncle took me and my nieces on a day trip to New Salem and Springfield to see the Abraham Lincoln things there. That was the only time I recall going into Illinois aside from passing through to St Louis or that long drive across the cornfields to Bloomington.

I recall those little town names along Route 66...Dwight, Chenoa, Pontiac, etc. I recall asking my dad about what they meant. My dad said they were Indian names. I asked what they meant in English. He said they Indian for "cow sh_t".

So, Illinois. what the old Chicago weatherman John Coleman called "the boonies". AKA "boondocks". Here be the dragons. Or, the prairie, now endless plains of corn and soybean.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
I grew up and lived in Chicago for over 30 years. I've only been south of Joliet once, Springfield and Decatur. Illinois is flat and dull. The area along the Mississippi (around Savanna) is scenic, but 165 miles from Chicago.
I've never identified with Illinois, but with Chicago.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:30 PM

31 posts, read 167,356 times
I'm proud but I'm not cocky or ignorant about it. I'm more proud to be from Chicago, I don't really say Illinios. But yeah I'm proud that I was born and raised in good old windy Chicago.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Illinois is flat and dull. The area along the Mississippi (around Savanna) is scenic, but 165 miles from Chicago.
I've never identified with Illinois, but with Chicago.
Chicago is more flat than anywhere else in the state, bub.

There are many areas of the state that are hilly, too bad you never took the time to explore and get out of your shell.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:19 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I grew up and lived in Chicago for over 30 years. I've only been south of Joliet once,
What is it like living such a sheltered life?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:21 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im proud to say Im from Illinois, and thats how I respond when people ask where Im from. Its usually followed with "whereabouts in Illinois are you from?" At that point Ill tell them Chicago's western suburbs, since I have bounced all over the area.

And to those who live in Chicago, despise the suburbs and everything else Illinois, I say to you: get a life. And if you dont like Illinois for whatever, pack your bags and get out.
No offense, but since you don't live in Chicago your opinion on whether you are proud of being from Illinois does not matter. The question was asked to Chicagoans only. Maybe you grew up in Chicago, I don't know. Instead, now the thread is veering off into a Downstate versus Chicago thread. I am sure there are enough of those already.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:56 PM

21 posts, read 35,602 times
I was raised and still live in Chicago, so I guess that's 1st for me. Me and my family have lived in an Eastern Euro enclave in the suburbs, but most people there identified with Chicago/their cities because it's where they were originally from.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
I say that I am a Chicagoan. Not from IL. Especially since most people mispronounce IL anyway. Oh, and I was born and raised in Chicago...within the city limits....

When I lived there, I never went to the suburbs except to see relatives. The further I went was to Hoffman Estates, which, in that time was mostly cornfields. As a result, when I return to visit, it is like I am a true visitor when I now go to see relatives that live in the northern suburbs; I get thoroughly confused and turned around. (there is no grid...) Fortunately, people see my NC plates and are forgiving...

Sometimes, however, I will groan and say that I am not sure which state I am more embarrassed to say that I have lived in... IL for our infamous politics or SC for governors that "visit the mountains" (NOT) while in office...

Old 01-26-2011, 05:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Born in Park Ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago