Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:29 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
What do you mean "try it"?
Anyhow, i'm sure there are 1-2 block areas in Englewood where nothing has happened in a while. Doesn't make me want to pick up and move there.
By try it I meant that it will be hard to find an apartment there since it is mostly condos.

As a native of the area, I can assure you that my advice is valid and built on decades of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 03:34 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
I own a condo three blocks west of there. No reason to move. I feel perfectly safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
By try it I meant that it will be hard to find an apartment there since it is mostly condos.

As a native of the area, I can assure you that my advice is valid and built on decades of experience.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:38 PM

Are you disputing my claim that 60th and Stony Island is ok? You'll note that I did not recommend the area around 64th and Kenwood, which appears to have no crime according to that website.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:43 PM

I have no idea if it's safe. Neither do you, though. Anything can happen anywhere around there, regardless of what happened last year. I don't think that one strip of two blocks is magically immune to the problems nearby.

If I feel safe then I'm happy. That's as much psychological as anything else.

Quote:
Are you disputing my claim that 60th and Stony Island is ok? You'll note that I did not recommend the area around 64th and Kenwood, which appears to have no crime according to that website.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I have no idea if it's safe. Neither do you, though. Anything can happen anywhere around there, regardless of what happened last year. I don't think that one strip of two blocks is magically immune to the problems nearby.

If I feel safe then I'm happy. That's as much psychological as anything else.
I take a probabilistic view too, but that strip is lower in crime, and has been for a very long time. The reasons for this are the fact that UofC people live there, UofC buildings are there, and the UofC police heavily patrol the area. The University of Chicago police have over 140 officers to patrol an area of 2.5 square miles (they are deputized for more but in practice don't go into the parks or all the way north). The Chicago Police Dept covers the area with about six beats, with maybe 60 officers.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:07 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,763 times
Quote:
Quote:
I take a probabilistic view too, but that strip is lower in crime, and has been for a very long time.
I think ajolotl is only saying you have to keep your guard up anywhere on the south side of Chicago near the lake. The moment you decide one area is "ok" and start acting carelessly is when you will put your safety at risk. You have to act prudently at all times when living that close to trouble spots. Part of that is selecting a block to live on that is quieter than the surrounding area; but it doesn't end there.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:27 PM

894 posts, read 2,381,526 times
didnt the UofC student Cisse got killed during that robbery by UofC a few years ago?

and a few days ago that drive by on 63 and ellis that killed that guy

Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 PM

By that argument 61st and Ellis is about to become one of the safest blocks in the city.

Quote:
I take a probabilistic view too, but that strip is lower in crime, and has been for a very long time. The reasons for this are the fact that UofC people live there, UofC buildings are there, and the UofC police heavily patrol the area. The University of Chicago police have over 140 officers to patrol an area of 2.5 square miles (they are deputized for more but in practice don't go into the parks or all the way north). The Chicago Police Dept covers the area with about six beats, with maybe 60 officers.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 PM

When I say "ok" I don't mean safe.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 PM

This one is too close to home, am getting sick of this ****:

"At 12:55 p.m., Wednesday, May 6 - An 18-year-old man standing on the
sidewalk on Kimbark between 61st and 62nd Streets was wounded in the leg in
a drive-by shooting. Witnesses said the shots were fired from a passing
silver or gray Ford Explorer. The victim was transported to the hospital by
a friend and is reported to be in good condition."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago