Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,864 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I will be moving to the UofC area with my wife and infant in the next month. We've found an apartment just south of campus (6100 block of Kimbark) that we both love/feel is big enough/can afford. Similar units in Hyde Park are more expensive and not as nice. My question is- are we being short sighted on the safety of the neighborhood? From the searching I've done, the area compares well to Edgewater where we live now; however reactions I've received have ranged from meh to don't even think about it. I would love some knowledgeable advice particularly as it pertains to having an infant in that neighborhood. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 12:22 AM

221 posts, read 322,557 times
Well I think your best source of authority would be contacting the local police station, as well as the UCPD. I would contact both and get the opinions of both departments, and I would mention you have an infant. You might also discuss with them possible areas to live in Hyde Park.

Since the apartment you mention (~6100 Kimbark) is technically in Woodlawn, you might have to check the Woodlawn crime reports to get a sense of the crime there. You could compare this with crime in Hyde Park proper.

I'm curious why your thread title is 'north of 63rd' when you say it's on the 6100 block of Kimbark. There's actually a pretty big distance between 61st and 63rd street.

If it were me personally I wouldn't live south of 61st street with a wife and infant. But that's just me. And admittedly I don't know that area very well. I knew some undergrads who lived south of campus and I think some law students do too, since the law school is right there.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 AM

968 posts, read 2,668,370 times
The area you're considering is patrolled by U of C Police, and is right at the edge of South Campus. The area you're considering is OK, especially since you're coming from a city neighborhood and already have some 'urban sensibility' . The parts of Woodlawn that can get very sketchy are south and west of you ( Cottage Grove, King Drive and west of there) .

Thing is , you are relatively further from the main commercial areas of Hyde Park ( 57th Street, 55th and Lake Park, 53rd Street ) than if you lived in central Hyde Park . if you don't have a car, it can be quite a tedious walk in mid-winter . With an infant, you're probably interested in , say, a 24 Hour Walgreens . The 'safer' alternative is at 55th and Lake Park . Upside is that you are a little closer to the Quads and the main campus and Medical center .

Old 06-07-2014, 09:45 PM

221 posts, read 322,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
The area you're considering is patrolled by U of C Police, and is right at the edge of South Campus. The area you're considering is OK, especially since you're coming from a city neighborhood and already have some 'urban sensibility' . The parts of Woodlawn that can get very sketchy are south and west of you ( Cottage Grove, King Drive and west of there) .

Thing is , you are relatively further from the main commercial areas of Hyde Park ( 57th Street, 55th and Lake Park, 53rd Street ) than if you lived in central Hyde Park . if you don't have a car, it can be quite a tedious walk in mid-winter . With an infant, you're probably interested in , say, a 24 Hour Walgreens . The 'safer' alternative is at 55th and Lake Park . Upside is that you are a little closer to the Quads and the main campus and Medical center .
Those are some good points.

OP, I think it would be very helpful to contact the UCPD and ask them about the area.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:41 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,193,839 times
The 6100 block of Kimbark is pretty safe. It is far different than areas south of 61st street around Ellis or Drexel. There is new University construction around Kimbark and 61st street and it is much closer to the quads than some of the other residential areas of Hyde Park.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,864 times
Great! Thanks for the helpful suggestions. We have a car so were good for emergency trips to the pharmacy/treasure island. Good to have reassurance. Thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago