Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 8,482 times

Advertisements

We're considering relocating from the city and looking at the western suburbs and specifically Western Springs. Our children are in the top gifted schools in Chicago so school performance is very important. We both work (digital media executive and teacher) and are slightly concerned about our girls (12 and 6) making a smooth social transition. The stats say Western Springs has virtually no African American residents. We understand the economics of these stats and our income significantly exceeds the community average. That aside, is it a tolerant community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 11:46 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
The stats are correct. In my experience even Hinsdale has more folks that can be identified as having a racial heritage of African-American. The stats between Lyons Township and Hinsdale Central may be a little different because of the slightly broader range of students served by LT, but you probably know that...

If your income is way above the average in Western Springs you can really afford anything in the entire region. From the North Shore to Barrington to Oak Brook, Palos, Orland Park, Olympia Fields and everything in between there are LOTS of options.

As far a 'tolerant' I don't think that would be much or issue with most families with school age kids, but the odd "crabby old" couple / widow / bachelor TOGETHER with the physical layout of Western Springs (where some of the most expensive newer homes are "city lot" close to some of the oldest residents) MIGHT prevent me from saying this is a slam dunk... Mind you the "crabby neighbor" is a world away from a real hard core racist, but I know many folks that have to deal with a silly old crank and it is not fun regardless if it involves race or sexual orientation or just different values regarding work or tree care or the kind of car you drive...

BTW -- If your kids are in some of the top schools in Chicago why would you want to leave? From everything I know about CPS if you do well in the elementary schools with well regarded gifted programs the odds of landing a coveted spot in a top high school increase dramatically. If your daughters have a shot at Northside or Payton those are schools that give even the best PRIVATE schools a run and you can't beat the price!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:24 AM

298 posts, read 579,507 times
I grew up in WS and spend significant time in Hinsdale. I think you'll be fine in either (there are losers wherever you go of course). I actually see more AA kids out and about in Hinsdale, and frankly like the rolling hills and curvy streets as opposed to WS flat grid. My experience is either place has lots of metra dependent professional post city dwellers who want great schools and no crime. LT and Hinsdale are great - though I believe HC beats LT

Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrRidge Cub View Post
It's one of my pet peeves is when AA's start asking if people are tolerant of their race. As long as act the part, and don't act "ghetto", then, yes, people will treat you with respect.

Western Springs is a very good area, and although I'm not AA, I have met some very nice people over there. I have met great people everywhere I go...because I treat EVERYONE with respect. Hinsdale is a great area, too. If you want to move out to the Western 'Burbs, then stay within the LTHS district, or Hinsdale Central.

Live by the Golden Rule, and you will be fine in about 99% of the places you go.
The reason AA's ask is because even today, this can still be an issue (Yes, we've come far; we still have a bit of a ways to go.) Just because you don't perceive racism, doesn't mean it no longer exists.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Anyone who has ever read this forum on a regular basis can tell you racism still exists.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:51 PM

21 posts, read 73,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
The reason AA's ask is because even today, this can still be an issue (Yes, we've come far; we still have a bit of a ways to go.) Just because you don't perceive racism, doesn't mean it no longer exists.

That's fine, OPD, but also don't pretend their isn't reverse racism out there, either.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:04 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldeal View Post
We're considering relocating from the city and looking at the western suburbs and specifically Western Springs. Our children are in the top gifted schools in Chicago so school performance is very important. We both work (digital media executive and teacher) and are slightly concerned about our girls (12 and 6) making a smooth social transition. The stats say Western Springs has virtually no African American residents. We understand the economics of these stats and our income significantly exceeds the community average. That aside, is it a tolerant community?
Having lived in both, Hinsdale is more diverse and tolerant than Western Springs. We felt excluded just by the fact that we were non-Catholic in a sea of Catholics on the south end of town, and if you look at both commuter stations, Hinsdale has a far more diverse crowd, one that includes asians and african-americans. Why on earth would you subject your kids to that? Try LaGrange or Hinsdale before you dive into lilly white Western Springs.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,080 times
This all seems ridiculous to me because it seems to me the main concern should be whether you'd fit in socioeconomically and not racially. 99% of residents in Western Springs, Hinsdale, or any other affluent western suburb really don't care what race you are unless you are a good neighbor.

Last edited by US-Traveller; 11-10-2009 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 03:38 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I agree that the the palor quotiant in Hinsdale is close to WS. LaGrange is marginally more colorful, and there is long history of its own little enclave of working class African-Americans, but at higher income levels a couple of things happen. For one the truly nutty old neighbors tend to get priced out. And for two the richer some one is the bigger a target they make if their messing with neighbors leads to a lawsuit or something that interferes with their earnings. Basically if you're of only modest means no-one is going to bother calling you out as an obnoxious racist unless so cross the line that safety is an issue. If you are rich or have a high profile job and you get publicly called out as racist the rewards to those that would take this to court OR the risks of losing a high income / high profile job climb...

Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM

26 posts, read 295,412 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Having lived in both, Hinsdale is more diverse and tolerant than Western Springs. We felt excluded just by the fact that we were non-Catholic in a sea of Catholics on the south end of town, and if you look at both commuter stations, Hinsdale has a far more diverse crowd, one that includes asians and african-americans. Why on earth would you subject your kids to that? Try LaGrange or Hinsdale before you dive into lilly white Western Springs.
I agree with this. WS is very homogenous, and there are so many Irish Catholics that you could potentially feel "left out" living there. Even though Hinsdale may only be a little bit more diverse, it could make a world of difference to the OP. What about Oakbrook or other surrounding communities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs