Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 PM
mh7

102 posts, read 333,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene915 View Post
I agree with this. WS is very homogenous, and there are so many Irish Catholics that you could potentially feel "left out" living there. Even though Hinsdale may only be a little bit more diverse, it could make a world of difference to the OP. What about Oakbrook or other surrounding communities?
Diversity in La Grange/Western Springs/Hinsdale means you have a good mix of Irish, Italians & Germans... I really don't think that you could possibly claim that any of them is more diverse than the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
The OP is DIVERSITY and is only looking for TOLERANCE...

Old 11-14-2009, 06:02 AM

298 posts, read 580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh7 View Post
Diversity in La Grange/Western Springs/Hinsdale means you have a good mix of Irish, Italians & Germans... I really don't think that you could possibly claim that any of them is more diverse than the others.
I would disagree, you see more people of color in LaGrange and Hinsdale than you do in Western Springs. This doesn't say anything about tolerance, per se... In Hinsdale I see more AA, Asian, and Indian folks than I do in W.S.

A side note; growing up in WS, I never even noticed how Catholic it was (I'm not). Though in retrospect, all my friends belonged to St. John of the Cross church, some went to Nazareth, etc., so now I do see how that is a very Catholic area. But...so what?

Old 11-15-2009, 03:05 PM

26 posts, read 295,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
I would disagree, you see more people of color in LaGrange and Hinsdale than you do in Western Springs. This doesn't say anything about tolerance, per se... In Hinsdale I see more AA, Asian, and Indian folks than I do in W.S.

A side note; growing up in WS, I never even noticed how Catholic it was (I'm not). Though in retrospect, all my friends belonged to St. John of the Cross church, some went to Nazareth, etc., so now I do see how that is a very Catholic area. But...so what?
I guess I feel that if you are new to an area with school-age children and many of your neighbors/peers are affiliated with one specific church that you do not attend, it could be that much harder to meet people and make friends. It is just something I noticed when I moved to this area from out-of-state. I do think that WS is a lovely, tolerant community and a very nice place to live.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 PM

342 posts, read 1,233,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post

hinsdale is .8% african american. that is not much better than western springs.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:17 PM

298 posts, read 580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
hinsdale is .8% african american. that is not much better than western springs.
That statistic may reflect 2000 census data, but there are other data points, including businesses, entitities, etc. that draw in diversity. For instance, commerce is much larger in Hinsdale, therefore there may be more presence of diversity through business owners / associates who don't live but do work in Hinsdale. Also, the Unitarian and UCC churches draw in more diversity. While mostly anecdotal, I do think there is more diversity present in Hinsdale than in WS - of course it ain't the city, we all know that - but IMHO Hinsdale has more Jazz.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:15 PM

39 posts, read 140,938 times
I've lived in WS for over a year and here's my take on its commitment to diversity.

There are many of us here who work downtown or in diverse environments and who are working for and welcoming greater diversity in WS. We send our kids to the (excellent) public schools, use public transit, spend plenty of time in the city, and also enjoy our cute little WS downtown and the grid of streets, but we don't think it's the only place on earth to live. Many of us grew up elsewhere, and, like the OP, looked at moving here for the good schools, METRA, safe neighborhood, and non-uptight people.

There is a group of people here who have grown up in WS or in the surrounding burbs, who have an approach to "race" that is a lot like midwestern small town white folk: little overt Southern-style racism, but plenty of naivete and lots of bad assumptions from what they've learned from watching racist TV news, etc., and, well, living in a place where many of the dark-complected people they see are... people from "outside" WS. It's a pattern of small town attitudes in a big-city suburb. (Some of the small town sensibility is really wonderful and fun, but, obviously, some of it is maddening and insulting.)

It does seem that the folks on the upper end of the income scale in WS (with whom the OP related) are the more "small-town" minded, while the less affluent here are the more progressive, better traveled and educated, and welcoming of diversity.

OP mentioned interest in the gifted programs. The advanced/gifted programs seem especially geared to (and populated by) the civic-minded, progressive, diversity-minded and diverse folks. We've been very pleased with this.

We'd love to have more people of color here. Hope you consider it!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 PM

If you've only been in WS for a year then I doubt you've seen the uglier side of using zoning restrictions to prevent the development of lower cost housing... Believe me, when that was an issue the small mindedness of the older residents was much in evidence.

I also would caution that given the very high median housing price in WS even the younger less affluent folks are generally not from the lower rungs of income: https://www.city-data.com/city/Wester...-Illinois.html
Given the difficulties of deficit spending that is affecting most Illinois schools I suspect that should increased diversity come with additional demands to serve students the expenditures earmarked for higher achieving students would be cut back significantly. http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1N1-...C5D4DC908.html

BTW-- I am also curious about where one may tune into "racist TV news", in my experience all the Chicago based news outlets go out of their way to avoid mentioning race in 99% of their crime reporting...

Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 AM

39 posts, read 140,938 times
Default Truth in Zoning and Faux News

I've only lived here a year, but, from what I've heard, Chet is right on about some of the zoning ugliness. It's an environmental/energy problem, too: there are zoning restrictions against making houses "too small" (and therefore more efficient). But times--and minds--are changing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I am also curious about where one may tune into "racist TV news", in my experience all the Chicago based news outlets go out of their way to avoid mentioning race in 99% of their crime reporting...
I don't get local news from the teevee, but the most watched national "news" network is hilariously bad in its approach to "race" (among its many other problems). Here's a little clip.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM

In my experience the cable uptake rates are pretty low among the older citizens of towns like Western Springs; the views these folks have were probably formed back when the first Mayor Daley was in power
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs