Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 21,598 times

Advertisements

Crazy that it's listing Steger as 6% black. A lot of the houses in the area have been sold to black families. It's much more then 6% if I have two black neighbors. I watched Sauk Village turn from mainly white to black over the years. Steger and crete are next. It's only a matter of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnight View Post
Crazy that it's listing Steger as 6% black. A lot of the houses in the area have been sold to black families. It's much more then 6% if I have two black neighbors. I watched Sauk Village turn from mainly white to black over the years. Steger and crete are next. It's only a matter of time
Sorry, I'm a bit confused...

Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
I think i get what he means but im not gonna go further. Dont wanna start some controversey

*leaves thread*

Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnight View Post

That was back in 2000. Steger is probably as high as 15-20% black now. Its pretty much black suburbia almost everywhere east of I-57. Homewood and Flossmoor are one of the few that seem to hold a white majority, although the schools turned over 50% black in that area too. 2009 school reports put H-F HS at 57.6% black, a huge change from being 61.3% white in 2000.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
*Sigh*

I just wish we could all get along...

Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
*Sigh*

I just wish we could all get along...
I wish so too, but the hide and seek mentality is still part of the south suburbs. Black/Hispanics move in, whites run to the hills. You can run but you can't hide. How far are some people willing to move just to get away from certain people? Might as well stay put and accept diversity. Most SW suburbs(Orland Park, Tinley) in Cook County are still majority white with a sprinkle of Arabs and Hispanics. Once you cross I-57 to the eastern section of the Southland, its more blacks. Crete I think is still majority white, yet the high school is 29% white.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I wish so too, but the hide and seek mentality is still part of the south suburbs. Black/Hispanics move in, whites run to the hills. You can run but you can't hide. How far are some people willing to move just to get away from certain people? Might as well stay put and accept diversity. Most SW suburbs(Orland Park, Tinley) in Cook County are still majority white with a sprinkle of Arabs and Hispanics. Once you cross I-57 to the eastern section of the Southland, its more blacks. Crete I think is still majority white, yet the high school is 29% white.
i was just thinking about this. but its only going to work for so long. The funny thing is that crime rates havent really gone up a whole lot in most of these towns. If this attitude keeps going then kankakee might just end up being part of chicagoland. And i thought crete was around 70% white? Guess whites are sending their kids to private school.

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 02-16-2010 at 11:48 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Crete I think is still majority white, yet the high school is 29% white.
Crete Monee High School includes kids from Crete, Monee, University Park and the Will County side of Park Forest.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM

151 posts, read 413,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
i was just thinking about this. but its only going to work for so long. The funny thing is that crime rates havent really gone up a whole lot in most of these towns. If this attitude keeps going then kankakee might just end up being part of chicagoland. And i thought crete was around 70% white? Guess whites are sending their kids to private school.

mas23
Even Marian Catholic's student body is about a third black these days. So there aren't THAT many.

The white population in the area is largely older folks who don't see any reason to move, or can't afford to. A lot of their kids settled in the more trendy areas after college. The "holdouts" also tend to be more blue-collar and live in older areas (Richton Park north of Sauk Trail, old Matteson, Steger, Thornton) of the suburbs. While a lot of the new subdivisions between Ridgeland Ave. and the state line are almost 100% black, and largely white collar professionals.

I agree that continued flight is dumb. Who the hell wants to move out to Manteno or Minooka? All the covert racism (and both sides are to blame) that goes on in the Southland makes me glad I left the area.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Crete Monee schools are terrible, some of the worst around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs