Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 PM

14 posts, read 19,668 times

Advertisements

(Sorry the link to "Chicago Suburbs" isn't working for me right now)

I was just wondering what the relgious climate is like in Chicagoland. I understand that Chicago itself is pretty Catholic, is that right? But i'm wondering about the suburbs because we may be moving there (Dupage or Will County) I heard there is a strong Evangelical presence there, like in Wheaton. But are there many Catholics there? It's just something I wonder about because we currently live down South, and as a Catholic, it'd be a nice change to be around other Catholics, but I'd rather live in the suburbs than in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 11:19 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,423 times
Chicagoland has religion! It worships the dollar bill.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:43 PM

Is there any way I can have this thread moved to Chicago Suburbs? If not, i'll just restart it there.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:34 PM

124 posts, read 666,127 times
I googled Catholic churches chicago area and came up with the following site:

ParishesOnline is the online U.S. directory of the Catholic Church. Find Catholic Churches, Mass Times, Pastors, Bulletins, Maps, Dioceses, Schools... and much more!

http://www.parishesonline.com/scripts/default.asp

hope it helps

Old 04-28-2007, 07:55 PM

22 posts, read 75,209 times
The most Catholic area is the southwest side of the city itself (Mt. Greenwood and Beverly neghborhoods) but I can't imagine anyone feeling out of place as a Catholic in any Chicago suburb.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Thanks mimi for the link. I found 83 matches in the 630 area code alone. Pleanty of Catholic churches.

tktez

Yeah, now that I think about it, I don't see why the religious make-up in the suburbs would be drastically different from the religious make-up of the city. But I wasn't really sure because I heard about Wheaton & also Willowcreek Church. Not saying there's anything wrong w/ those but I wanted to move somewhere w/ a strong Catholic presence because it's hard being Catholic where i'm at now, in the South.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
You may be confusing Wheaton w/Wheaton College, which is a religious, conservative Christian school. I've heard of Willowcreek, apparently it is one of these big non-denominational Christian churches. Sort of like Crystal Cathedral in the LA area. I doubt there is any shortage of Catholic churches anywhere in the Chicago area. A lot of people I know from generic "Chicago", meaning also suburbs, are Catholic.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
There are Catholic churches allllllll over the place in Chicagoland, you should have no problem finding one.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 AM

126 posts, read 210,498 times
Default The Baha'i Faith in 'Chicagoland'

My comments here don't cover all of the suburbs of Chicago, but I've visited the Baha'i Temple in Chicago twice. To schedule a guided tour for groups of 15 or more you can contact the Volunteer Coordinator at (847) 853-2300. Those interested in having a simple Baha'i wedding, according to Bahá'í law, at the House of Worship (Baha'i membership not required) may contact the wedding liaison, at (847) 853-2300. Baha'i House of Worship Address: 100 Linden Avenue, Wilmette, IL 60091. Phone: (847) 853-2300. The temple is impressive, very beautiful. I now live in Australia and visited the Baha'i temple
in 1968 and again in the year 2000.

To get to the temple:

(a) From Chicago:

Drive north on Lake Shore Drive (Highway 41) to Sheridan Road through Evanston to Linden Avenue in Wilmette.

(b) By public transportation: Take the Red Line/Howard El north to the end. Stay on the same platform and take the Purple Line/Linden north to the end. After exiting the station at Linden, go out to the street (Linden Ave.) and turn right. Walk two blocks to the House of Worship. It is about a 40 minute ride from downtown and costs $1.75 one-way.

and:

(c) From Milwaukee: Drive south on Interstate 94. Just inside the Illinois border take the Highway 41 cutoff. Continue south to the Skokie Boulevard exit. Make a left turn at the second signal (Lake Avenue). Travel east to Sheridan Road. Turn right and drive four blocks south.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
In chicagoland there is every religion to be found in almost every town.

Western suburbs of Lombard, Villa park and elmhurst are very catholic. And has the parochial schools to match.

There are also many of those what I call "big box" churches around too.

I can also speak for St. Charles which has several roman catholic churches, but is low on the parochial schools in this area. There is a 3 year waiting list to get into the one out here. (Maybe that is everywhere? I don't know). so if you are specifically looking to get kids into parochial schools call and ask if they have waiting lists.

Also Batavia and Geneva have RC churches.

There is NO lack of roman catholic churches anywhere in the suburban area that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs