Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 AM

947 posts, read 2,422,735 times

Advertisements

And 28 million is a drop in the bucket for all that was described in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Monee? Not really; Crete, maybe in parts. Manhattan... No way.

Sorry, but the areas that border any of the African American areas would be what one would be considering "turning" lets call a spade a spade here and quit ***** footing around what is being asked. Racism is alive and well around Chicago and yes, when people of color move near the white folks, many white folks do take off and flee for areas west of there and won't even consider stepping foot back in the town again thus leading to the town loosing it's appeal at least to the white folks. I can't tell you how many times I have mentioned to co-workers, friends, neighbors, whomever; about great restaurants and little stores over in the areas of color lets say (i.e. Lorrenzettis Italian restaurant), and what's their reponse? "I ain't going over there, it's all n!gg_rs over there." Sad but true that people still feel this way.

Anyhow, where are the white folks going? Well to places like Lockport, Homer Glen, Frankfort, Mokena, and yes Manhattan, so yes the areas near Chicago Heights, Steger, University Park, Matteson, and Park Forest would be what one would consider "turning". This has been going on in the Chicago area for decades, it's nothing new.
Lemont and Homer Glen esp.

Frankfort and Mokena have some minority population. There are at least a dozen black families in my subdivision in Mokena, and same with Hispanic. Orland and Tinley have a mixture, too. I have also seen Asian and Middle Eastern, in these areas.

You don't see that in Homer Glen or Lemont, except for possibly a few Asian and Middle Eastern.

As far as it being in issue in the western and northern suburbs, there is waaay too much money in these areas for people to exhibit blatant racism. Theirs is cushioned in political correctness.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Monee? Not really; Crete, maybe in parts. Manhattan... No way.

Sorry, but the areas that border any of the African American areas would be what one would be considering "turning" lets call a spade a spade here and quit ***** footing around what is being asked. Racism is alive and well around Chicago and yes, when people of color move near the white folks, many white folks do take off and flee for areas west of there and won't even consider stepping foot back in the town again thus leading to the town loosing it's appeal at least to the white folks. I can't tell you how many times I have mentioned to co-workers, friends, neighbors, whomever; about great restaurants and little stores over in the areas of color lets say (i.e. Lorrenzettis Italian restaurant), and what's their reponse? "I ain't going over there, it's all n!gg_rs over there." Sad but true that people still feel this way.

Anyhow, where are the white folks going? Well to places like Lockport, Homer Glen, Frankfort, Mokena, and yes Manhattan, so yes the areas near Chicago Heights, Steger, University Park, Matteson, and Park Forest would be what one would consider "turning". This has been going on in the Chicago area for decades, it's nothing new.
Though I doubt the majority of educated people harbor these views, some unfortunately do (usually unspoken). If enough flee an area, it is likely to start a chain reaction, where middle and upper middle class people start moving not out of prejudice but out of fear for their housing value, perceived safety, and their children's educational opportunities. Then the whole thing snowballs and the area goes to seed.

Unfortunately, this has led to the wasteful destruction of natural resources, greater reliance on automobiles, and the educational marginalization of our fastest growing demographic groups. In 30-40 years, we could very well have a mass workforce that is fit for little beyond manual labor and menial tasks.

There are plenty of perfectly good areas in and near city centers that could be revitalized, to lessen our reliance on foreign oil and provide for greater demographic integration, which will lead to a more educated workforce in the next generation.

Of course, few people think along these lines, and human nature is what it is. So if we want to correct the problem, we'll most certainly have to employ some kind of government intervention, such as high motor fuel taxes, serious tax incentives for adaptive reuse, and a complete revamping in how we fund education.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:08 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Putting down a whole area by calling it inferior is just a way of validating your own inflated ego.
Chicago was built as a working class city, roots in blue collar-stockyards, railroads, shipping, trades.
There is nothing wrong with a class of people whose roots are in getting our hands dirty.
You're from Chicago, right?

You are exactly the kind that long time Mokena residents do not want.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:30 PM

Yank someone else's chain.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM

It's the facts, don't go around representing and speaking for Mokena when you are really a Chicagoan. Your views don't represent the long time residents of the area in which you live. Remember that...

Old 11-05-2009, 03:38 PM

I am a long time resident of the southland-lifelong-53 years. We are talking about neighborhood changes in the south Chicagoland.

So, why are YOU on this thread?

Old 11-05-2009, 03:42 PM

I was on this thread before you ever joined this board. Then you chose to call me out in it. Thus, why I am here.

I've lived in the Chicago Southland 24 out of my 26 years and it has changed for the worse. That is why I post so much about the Southland. I know all about it. I was even in sales, fresh out of high school, serving the Chicago Heights and Harvey areas.

12 black families in your subdivision...I call BS. Downtown Mokena (Front St. including right by Wolf and the rail road tracks off of LaPorte) is one of the most racist areas in all of the Chicago area. Plus, if a black family ever moved into Arbury Hills they wouldn't make it through the night. I'm just being honest. Let's not sugar coat things. Don't you remember that black family who had a nazi symbol spray painted on their garage? You should if you've been there as long as you claim...

Oh my bad, you said "Southland" and not Mokena for 53 years.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM

You don't know what YOU are talking about. My son has black and Mexican friends at Lincolnway East. THERE ARE black families in my subdivision.
His girlfriend is Hispanic, my son in law and grandchildren are hispanic and live with me.

Sorry you are so full of hate.
BTW, graduate of So. Sub College Nursing School 6 years ago.
Drove through Harvey 5 days out of the week for 4 years.

Whatever. Daughter teaches special ed at Eisenhower High School. I am not sugar coating things.

Yeah, maybe there are some in Mokena who wouldn't want me here. YOU, obviously, if you lived here. I can live with that.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 PM

Hispanics have been around for a long, long time and they have only contributed to the neighborhood.

Just remember "I am Alone Jill despite being Married," there are many long time residents who don't like the changes occurring. And remember, hispanics have been around these parts for 30 or 40 years and nothing bad has ever happened. They have proven to be contributors to the community and I hope more move to that area.

I don't know what you meant by hate...now you just sound like some empty headed bandwagoning Obama supoorting white liberal. Play the race card when you are taken to the woodshed in a debate! You are the one who brought up race, remember that toots. I'm just sorry you have so much ignorance in your head. Yank somebody else's chain...lol...spoken like a true Mokena or Frankfort woman and wife...lol

You are more Chicago than you are Mokena, remember that when you post because there are legit mokena posters on this board who know better. Care to name your subdivision? Oh you can't because you know what you said is BS! And you know what I said about downtown Mokena and Arbury Hills is 100% true. And if you don't know that, then you don't the first thing about Mokena...

Last edited by At1WithNature; 11-05-2009 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs