Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 AM

338 posts, read 617,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Going back decades the notorious criminally connected types have managed to win election in Cicero. . . Heck the well known "thriftinesss" of those that flocked to Berwyn and once made their stretch of Cermack a veritable "roach motel for savings and loans" where hard working families who only "made deposit, not withdrawals" stood in contrast to the section of lawless Cicero to the east where crime families ran prostitution in "by the hour" motels...
The criminally connected types won election in Cicero by beating the town president to a pulp and leaving him, bloody and dazed, on the steps of the Town Hall. They came into Cicero, over-ran the town and took over---much like the illegal aliens, gang-bangers, and Democrat machine operatives have done today.

It's news to me that it was the residents of Berwyn alone who were thrifty and built all of the banks. The largest and oldest continuing bank in the area is Central Federal Savings, started in Cicero, by Ciceronians.

Not all of us who live here have roots in organized crime. As for our politics, Cicero has been taken over by the Chicago mob in City Hall. All complaints should be forwarded there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 AM

5 posts, read 10,852 times
Default house style or location

I thought this would be worthwhile to post here to get feedback from residents of the area. Wife and I are going house shopping this weekend in Berwyn and have a number of homes lined up to see. In general it seems that some of the more traditional bungalows that we can afford are nearer to apartment buildings and some non-bungalows are in more owner-occupied areas of town. So, other things being equal which would you choose, location or style? (almost said homesyle!) Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I don't think it should (or even could) try to be another Oak Park either. I wouldn't want that anyway. I lived in Oak Park for 5 years and it's a great community. But in many ways, Berwyn is more interesting, particularly now. It has a younger, more active vibe. Oak Park's success has definitely slowed some of the activism it was once known for.

However, I think most who are active in the community strive for something a little better than a middle to lower-middle class suburb. This isn't to say that anyone wants it to totally gentrify and become exclusive to one type of demographic. That would kill its character. But it can be a unique suburb with a diverse population, strong schools, interesting businesses, and high levels of involvement that you don't see in your typical middle class and below community.
My family are old Oak Parkers going back after WWII. Berwyn would do well NOT to emulate Oak Park. Berwyn is unique----all of the uniqueness of Oak Park has been driven out long ago. OP was always a mix of people. The blue-collar residents were driven out in the 70s. I remember a letter in the Oak Leaves newspaper, crowing in approval, "At last we have those blue-collar types out of the village!" So much for their vaunted tolerance. You would never see such a thing in Berwyn because the blue-collar built the town. Hands that labored at Western Electric, Hot Point, and other long-gone places. The people of Berwyn were never snobbish, except toward their neighbor to the east, Cicero, but that's another tale.

Taxes are killing people in Oak Park. A friend of mine pays over $1100 a month in taxes. It's a very nice house but no showplace and she'll have to sell at retirement time because she can't afford to stay. Another friend was recently widowed. She cannot keep her home either. Taxes in OP are out of control. The dirty secret in the village has been that each time there is a tax reassessment there is an exodus because people are priced out. Families also leave after elementary school and highschool graduations. In short, because of excessive taxation, Oak Park has become transient.

It's not only the real estate taxes that are hurting but the business environment is unfriendly. I know around 10 business owners on Madison St. in Forest Park. Some have been there a long time and are original Forest Parkers. Others fled OP because of taxes. A few are from Berwyn. Berwyn is doing a great job in attracting business. The Depot district looks better all the time.

Times are bad. Money is tight. People are looking for genuine value. Berwyn is in a great position. If they continue to concentrate on their image, avoid political correctness like the plague, and aggressively confront crime it will be an interesting place to be.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestyle28 View Post
I thought this would be worthwhile to post here to get feedback from residents of the area. Wife and I are going house shopping this weekend in Berwyn and have a number of homes lined up to see. In general it seems that some of the more traditional bungalows that we can afford are nearer to apartment buildings and some non-bungalows are in more owner-occupied areas of town. So, other things being equal which would you choose, location or style? (almost said homesyle!) Thanks for your thoughts.
Location----every time.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:41 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,472,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
MyBerwyn is doing a great job in attracting business. The Depot district looks better all the time.
Very true. Buffalo Wild Wings, my favorite chain, is coming to Harlem and Cermak. Now I don't have to drive to Elmhurst to get wings, LOL Olive or Twist the Restaurant recently opened in the Depot, as did the Garlic Clove in the old Copperfield's place and a cupcake shop. I think when the bank finally short sells the new condo project at OP and Stanley, it'll get a lot better.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:37 PM

374 posts, read 1,037,231 times
Autre Monde is opening this summer. It will be a locally sourced restaurant. Culvers too.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:53 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,632,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrakindra View Post
Autre Monde is opening this summer. It will be a locally sourced restaurant. Culvers too.
Wishbone just left.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,950,653 times
It seems like Berwyn has some amazing solid affordable housing stock. Places that would compare very favorably with the better north side neighborhoods in Chicago at a meer fraction of the price. I saw some great values on Redfin...some its hard to see how prices could fall any lower.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 AM

25 posts, read 58,150 times
Default Just bought in Proksa Park area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
It seems like Berwyn has some amazing solid affordable housing stock. Places that would compare very favorably with the better north side neighborhoods in Chicago at a meer fraction of the price. I saw some great values on Redfin...some its hard to see how prices could fall any lower.
ToriaT, that's exactly what my wife and I found when we house-shopped earlier this year. You can get a nice, rehabbed bungalow in a nice part of Berwyn for far cheaper than north side Chicago. We bought a bungalow in the Proksa Park area for $200-ish. We love our neighborhood, much quieter than west Logan Square where we moved from.

Homestyle28, I would avoid the areas with lots of apartments. If your motivations for moving to Berwyn are similar to ours (good schools, access to Metra and depot district, quiet safe area) then you might want to focus on southwest Berwyn. I'd say north of Ogden, south of 27th, between Harlem and Oak Park(maybe East) avenue. It will be harder to find a steal if you confine yourself to this area, but if you go too far east or north of here, it can get kind of rough.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,950,653 times
I agree. I get the Redfin feeds about every day for Berwyn and the prices are amazing buys. The houses and two flats are really reasonable. The nice ones are a little more expensive or the ones that are fixer uppers are incredibly cheap. I've gone to the neighborhood too and it does not at all seem too bad. I think more people are going to be moving there. Who in the world can afford the northside prices which are not that cheap even now. And there is crime too in Logan Square and other places as well.

P.S. I love the depot district.

Last edited by ToriaT; 06-29-2011 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs