Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:43 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,586,764 times

Advertisements

I think Bru had enough room in his attic to just run regular ducts along the perimeter. The cost for essentially a "standard" A/C is probably lowest of all the options both for install and potentially operation...

If you use attic with just knee walls it is easiest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,982,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Space Pack?
Spacepak A/C systems use small, high-velocity, flexible ducts that are easier to install in cramped spaces than the traditional large, sheet-metal ducts.

Google Images

Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,494,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think Bru had enough room in his attic to just run regular ducts along the perimeter. The cost for essentially a "standard" A/C is probably lowest of all the options both for install and potentially operation...

If you use attic with just knee walls it is easiest.
I would have built the knee walls further out if I'd started from scratch and gone with a SpacePak to get the extra room. But the walls were already in there from a 1960 remodel and it would have been huge expense to redo everything. Plus, it had these really cool retro ceiling tiles and built in square lights and by that point, I was getting sick of spending money on the freakin' thing.

With some modern paint colors and furniture (thanks IKEA) the attic turned out really nice for not a lot of cash. The new carpet was the biggest expense. Beyond that, it was just paint and furniture. We also made the nasty c. 1950 kitchen look pretty good by painting cabinets and doors until we got around to putting the new one in last year.

This is a lesson anyone who buys an old house anywhere can take. Assess what you have and try to reuse wherever possible. Some people just get the knee-jerk reaction that they have to tear everything out that isn't perfect. Not the case. And tearing some things out -- such as the original wood windows and doors in a bungalow -- will actually lower the value.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So BRU67, I presume you have a mini-duct retrofit? If so, is there any way to control which ducts are opened and closed, or is there some other way to control use and temperature from room to room?
Nope, plain old standard ducts in the ceiling. You control the ducts like our forefathers did -- grab a ladder, climb up it, and wiggle the lever shut FWIW, you can see one in the picture of the (turquoise) bathroom in the second link, top of the photo, and in the kitchen photos.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM

867 posts, read 1,377,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I would have built the knee walls further out if I'd started from scratch and gone with a SpacePak to get the extra room. But the walls were already in there from a 1960 remodel and it would have been huge expense to redo everything. Plus, it had these really cool retro ceiling tiles and built in square lights and by that point, I was getting sick of spending money on the freakin' thing.

With some modern paint colors and furniture (thanks IKEA) the attic turned out really nice for not a lot of cash. The new carpet was the biggest expense. Beyond that, it was just paint and furniture. We also made the nasty c. 1950 kitchen look pretty good by painting cabinets and doors until we got around to putting the new one in last year.

This is a lesson anyone who buys an old house anywhere can take. Assess what you have and try to reuse wherever possible. Some people just get the knee-jerk reaction that they have to tear everything out that isn't perfect. Not the case. And tearing some things out -- such as the original wood windows and doors in a bungalow -- will actually lower the value.
How's the efficency on those windows? Great plaster work!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:42 PM

46 posts, read 144,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
There are a number of things to recommend Berwyn as a place to invest and some downsides too. The housing stock is varied but classic Chicago two and three flats and bungalows, some quite elaborate with stained glass and wood trim. Many moving into Berwyn and fixing up the classic homes which are mostly priced right. Transportation to the city and proximity. Seems like there is easy access to shopping too. Problems might be gangs and crime but I don't know now if this is on the upswing or downturn.
Thanks for your response. I saw the benefits in the proximity to downtown and also in the pricing like you suggested. Don't know who the builders were in Chicago during the 40s and 50s but the bungalows in all neighborhoods seem well built so that is attractive but I always wondered what made people ignore the crime and gangs in and around Berwyn.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm12283 View Post
I always wondered what made people ignore the crime and gangs in and around Berwyn.
Berwyn's crime rate in 2009 was 3,195/100,000. Back in 1999 it was 3,444/100,000. The rate has remained relatively constant over the years.

In Oak Park, the crime rate was 4,395/100,000 in 2009. In Evanston it was 3,380/100,000. So the rate is in line for an urban community close to the City. It's not Mayberry but it's not [insert your scary neighborhood here] either.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
How's the efficency on those windows? Great plaster work!
It's a common myth that new windows are necessary for energy efficiency. In truth, a properly sealed original wood window will offer similar energy efficiency to new ones if you have proper storm windows. The key insulating factor is the air pocket between outside and in, which modern windows replicate through double plane glass.

In a bungalow, your money is better spent insulating the attic, where most of your heat loss takes place.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:17 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,172,630 times
Dead Boy, 200+ Animals Found at Berwyn Home | NBC Chicago

Old 09-09-2011, 08:43 PM

78 posts, read 87,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Sad. But what does the story have to do with this discussion? Are you trying to say most people in Berwyn hoard animals and live a sheltered secluded odd life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs