Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 05:44 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,472,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I agree that Berwyn is generally nicer than Humboldt Park, but it still has its challenges. Definitely, night and day from Oak Park, particularly the western and northern parts.
You're kidding right? Most of Humbolt Park is a west side ghetto (nothing personal) complete with regular drive-by shootings and gang bangers on the corners. I hate bashing anyone's 'hood but geez. Berwyn isn't even close to this, not even in the very worst apartment buildings near Cermak and Oak Park. I'd also say that south Oak Park and north Berwyn are very similar in terms of housing stock. And crime is an issue in the east part of Oak Park, considerably more so than in Berwyn.

And Serenata is in Cicero. Er, it was in Cicero. It closed awhile ago. You sound like the one who needs to drive around a bit, starting with the eastern part of your own village!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 3,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
You're kidding right? Most of Humbolt Park is a west side ghetto (nothing personal) complete with regular drive-by shootings and gang bangers on the corners. I hate bashing anyone's 'hood but geez. Berwyn isn't even close to this, not even in the very worst apartment buildings near Cermak and Oak Park. I'd also say that south Oak Park and north Berwyn are very similar in terms of housing stock. And crime is an issue in the east part of Oak Park, considerably more so than in Berwyn.

And Serenata is in Cicero. Er, it was in Cicero. It closed awhile ago. You sound like the one who needs to drive around a bit, starting with the eastern part of your own village!
Currently I would never compare Berwyn to Humboldt Park. The nicest parts of Humboldt Park are much more dangerous than the worst part of Berwyn. Ask me this in 10 years and I'm not sure what I'd say. I've seen many riff raff recently moving into the eastern/northern section of berwyn. Go by 18th and Ridgeland/Oak Park. Every see the kids coming out of Morton West High School? Scary!! Where do these kids live? Berwyn more than likely. Serenata's is close to the Berwyn/Cicero border. I doubt Berwny will ever get as bad as Humboldt park, at least not in my lifetime, but I could see it becoming as bad as Cicero, which is pretty bad, especially by suburban standards.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 PM

People have been saying "riff raff" have been taking over the north and east part of the city since the mid-1990s. It's getting to be old news. Yet, crime rates have remained more or less stable during that time period.

I live near Morton West and see kids walking by all the time. Scary? I don't think so, except maybe in more recent overall ISAT performance, lol. They're high school kids. Maybe some don't like their racial makeup and consider them scary for that reason. But I've had no issues with them.

Sereneta is about 1/2 mile from the Berwyn border in Cicero. And it is closed and has been closed for a long time. What is the obsession with this place?

Sky-is-falling attitude has been the norm from some within the community for quite awhile, mostly from residents resistant to demographic changes. Fortunately, there are a lot of residents committed to improving the community. That's about all you can do.

Last edited by BRU67; 08-25-2010 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 11:29 AM

42 posts, read 55,805 times
I am the girlfriend of 9.3 Billion. I wanted to say that from all that I have read in this thread I have probably lived here the longest time span then anyone that has posted.
This October I will have lived in Berwyn for 42 yrs.

Wow!!! is all I can say because I have seen so many changes over these years. But like it has been said there is good and bad in every city of the world bar for any reason.

But my question is instead of going back and forth on the same issues
I don't understand why is it that a person is just not grateful to have a roof over there head?

Think about this statement also.. if there were no such thing as the computer technology in existance where we can check online about statistics, and searches etc..how do you think you would be able to find out how an area is that you are interested in moving to?

I truly think that instead of relying on the opinions of others that a person that is interested in coming to Berwyn should actually visit here about a week or so if possible.

Mind you 9.3 is wanting to move to Cincinnati maybe because he thinks Berwyn is awful. He has only been here for 6yrs and not tried as hard as he could have, He wants me to go also. If I do it still can't be for awhile because of personal reasons.

I have had no personal problems here. As for the neighbors, treat smeone as you would want them to treat you. I have no problems with any race and I mean no problem, My neighbor on the right is Hispanic and he is of great help in the winters to me.. There is a family of African American on the end of the block. When I walk to the store there are no problems.

If you go out into the world with so much paranoia in your head you can let it end up getting the best of you. I should know because I do have many phobias that I am overcoming.

I'm not not saying that Berwyn is Heaven..But I'm not saying Berwyn is Hell.

And I will not give opinions of other places I do not live because that's not right. I'm sorry for using 9.3Billions acct. but this is the only post I plan on doing and saw it made no sense in getting an acct. for 1 post.

One other thought that comes to mind before going is that when speaking of things that happened in years passed ..that's exactly what it is past. If something is wrong why not try to help try to change it for the better instead of just saying bad things about it. There is always some kind of help if you know where to look in accomplishing that you may want changed. Nothing is guaranteed to happen overnight. As the saying goes Rome wasn't built in a day.

Love to all..and spread love and peace. Have a nice day

Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 10,444 times
The El doesn't come through Berwyn, and the commercial corridors aren't well-developed yet, so homeless people really are at a minimum. I live two blocks off Cermak, so I walk down that street very frequently, and I've never been bothered. Regardless, I'm not comparing Berwyn to Oak Park but to similar neighborhoods in Chicago. The FLW part of Oak Park is not the least bit comparable to central Berwyn. If I could afford to spend twice as much on a house, obviously I'd prefer to live where you live - it would be a bigger house on a bigger lot with more nightlife and better schools. What's not to prefer when money's not an issue?

If anyone on here is seriously weighing Oak Park vs. Berwyn, a better comparison might be the southeast end of Oak Park that encompasses the arts district. That part of OP is more developed and has the schools, but you can get a similarly-sized home for much less in Berwyn with lower taxes and less violent crime (because east OP borders Austin).

Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM

867 posts, read 1,373,926 times
I'm looking forward to the Roosevelt road remodel. Especially it's effect on the North end of Berwyn.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,639,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
I'm looking forward to the Roosevelt road remodel. Especially it's effect on the North end of Berwyn.
Im up in the air on the remodel. Not a fan of the generic suburban design scheme they seem to be chasing. Also, it does nothing to address the fact that a huge chunk of that corridor is comprised of strip malls and drive throughs, the antithesis of a walkable pedestrian friendly experience (esp on the Berwyn side). It dosent help that Toronto bakery eats up a block +.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:46 AM

I don't mind the way they're doing it, I've seen the renderings and I think it looks pretty good. I'm not a fan of the drive-thrus and strip malls either, though I don't know how you'd eliminate them. Maybe over time? They're probably one of those lemons they'll have to turn into lemonade, LOL.

I will say they really, really need more parking down there. A parking deck would be a great idea. As much as it pains me, most successful business districts still rely on people getting to them via automobile.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM

A couple of recent Tribune articles to add to the Berwyn thread...

Berwyn: A better 'burb for entertainment - chicagotribune.com

Berwyn pushes to attract gay community - Chicago Tribune

Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Here is a news archive with articles on Berwyn, posted by BC60402 in another thread. Seems to be updated regularly...

Berwyn In The News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs