Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieJuicer View Post
I'm currently looking to buy a home for myself and soon to be wife. We have no children and would not have any for at least three years or so. We both have jobs very close to the loop (she does not drive, but uses public transportation... while I am able to drive to work as I have parking supplied to me by the office).

We were looking at the Berwyn area as the homes that reside there have a lot of character about them (we both like the 1920's bungalow style) and the prices are very affordable. The neighborhood seems nice enough (having taken a couple trips out there just to hang around and take the area in so to speak). We like the area south of 26th St., north of Ogden, and west of Oak Park Ave.

Now I'm not naive in the slightest and have done my research about the area and am aware that crime is present (yet from my findings it is no worse then where I live now... Wicker Park). I am also aware of the large Hispanic population that resides there as well... as well as the most recent incidents that have happened in this area (speaking of that kid who was stabbed).

I need a serious evaluation of this area from anybody in the know about Berwyn... and I'm not looking for "its great move on in"... I want to hear facts both good as well as bad, and don't pull punches... I want to know everything....

Thanks for your time,

ZombieJuicer
I bought a bungelow this past January in Berwyn on the NE end around 16th. I originally lived in Bucktown in Chicago. Berwyn is very quiet in comparison. Most times I am the only person that I see outside on my block. The area has a little live theatre, I am close to Freddie's Italian Deli. I see all kinds of people in Berwyn. It has a very diverse population, and that is one thing that I really like.

The parks in Berwyn are kind of small, but they have several swimming pools and park activities. When you are used to parks like Humbolt park, they are small in area, but there are some very nice forest preserve aeas for dog walking nearby. The people in Berwyn itself are friendly, and the city hall is much easier to deal with than Chicago's.

The location is good for going to the City if there is something that you want to do downtown, and close to the edge of the traffic if you want to get out.

I don't really have any bad things to say about Berwyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 04:13 AM

8 posts, read 18,075 times
I live in an apartment in Lyons and I am seriously considering buying a bungalow in Berwyn. People are are really freaked out about nothing.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,904 times
Default let's revisit

I'll stay out of the ethnicity argument, but I'll join in on the age, education level, income level disparities. Since Mayor O'Connor was ousted by Robert Lovero, the Berwyn goverment has seen a slide back into cronyism and pay to play machine politics. Check out the Berwyn Arts Blog which was until recently a forum for reporting on the Berwyn city council by former alderman Mark Weiner. Since he has left office the blog has changed focus, but a look at some of the archival posts can tell you a lot.

South Berwyn around the old downtown and the BNSF railroad station is a good primary and junior high school district. There are great houses at good prices, and the proximity to Oak Park and Chicago are great. The Berwyn Public library has a new director who will hopefully improve the staff and programming there, but the library belongs to a great system so you can get pretty much what you want. Both local Jewel/Oscos are in other towns. The retail opportunities and cultural amenities including restaurants are with a few exceptions, poor. On the upside, there are very active communicty groups trying to improve the schools and the buisnesses in Berwyn. We just have to hope the Government of the town doesn't pull it back down to the corruption and small mindedness that is its legacy.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,472,335 times
Since we’re revisiting here, Brando’s Beef, Jungle Joe’s (supposed to be a family-themed restaurant), and the Skyline Café, and the Urban Mutt all opened in the Depot District since the last post before yours. Pretty good in this lousy economy. Brando’s I know is outstanding (best meatball sandwich anywhere). I haven’t tried Jungle and the Skyline (they just opened, literally within the last few weeks) but they’ve got to be better than that crappy Windsor “Sports Bar” they replaced.

Those join La Notte (newly remodeled), Garv’s Inn (newly remodeled), Olive or Twist martini bar, Salerno’s, the Over the Rainbow ice cream store, Cabin Fever, the Tonini’s Italian store, Grounds for Appeal, and the James Joyce Irish bar. There’s also Quan’s Oasis and George’s if you want to be ironic and drink Old Style or Pabst Blue Ribbon in a dive bar setting.

Improvement over 6-7 years ago. Once the new condo project at Stanley and Oak Park Avenue gets filled, my suspicion is you’ll see more stuff.

On Roosevelt Road, there’s Bodhi Thai Bistro, Double Olives Martini Bar, the Friendly Tap, Wishbone, FitzGerald’s, the brand new Buona Beef, Gina’s Italian Ice, Horrible’s, and J-Wok Chinese Kitchen for sushi. I see that corridor vastly improving after the new streetscape gets put in next year. South Oak Park and North Berwyn have improved, so if the corridor is made to be more walkable, I think it will really take off.

And if that’s not good enough for one’s eclectic tastes, there’s Forest Park’s Madison St. about a Peyton Manning pass away from Roosevelt, and Oak Park’s Lake St. about 5 minutes down Oak Park Ave. or Harlem. And my wife and I frequently walk to downtown Riverside (Chew Chew Café or Calvetti’s martini bar) from south Berwyn. Heck, even Cermak Rd. has a Tapas place, as well as the Berwyn National Bank Building at Oak Park and Cermak, which is being restored and should end up with a pretty nice restaurant when finished. And of course don't forget the 16th St. Theater, which has been putting out some pretty good plays, and FitzGerald's, Harlem Ave. Lounge and Friendly Tap for live music.

And the beat goes on. I mean, I’m not sitting here saying that Berwyn is like Lakeview, which apparently is what some expect. But, I mean, “poor” for retail opportunities and cultural amenities? I’d say on the higher end of average, and starting to approach above average.

So hang in there trooper. You will soon get your Ethiopian-Latin fusion. I can feel it!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,081,171 times
It sounds like it sucks more or less as much as the Beverly, which is, amazingly, a full notch worse than Hyde Park. Still better than everything between the two, though. I guess that's something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Since we’re revisiting here, Brando’s Beef, Jungle Joe’s (supposed to be a family-themed restaurant), and the Skyline Café, and the Urban Mutt all opened in the Depot District since the last post before yours. Pretty good in this lousy economy. Brando’s I know is outstanding (best meatball sandwich anywhere). I haven’t tried Jungle and the Skyline (they just opened, literally within the last few weeks) but they’ve got to be better than that crappy Windsor “Sports Bar” they replaced.

Those join La Notte (newly remodeled), Garv’s Inn (newly remodeled), Olive or Twist martini bar, Salerno’s, the Over the Rainbow ice cream store, Cabin Fever, the Tonini’s Italian store, Grounds for Appeal, and the James Joyce Irish bar. There’s also Quan’s Oasis and George’s if you want to be ironic and drink Old Style or Pabst Blue Ribbon in a dive bar setting.

Improvement over 6-7 years ago. Once the new condo project at Stanley and Oak Park Avenue gets filled, my suspicion is you’ll see more stuff.

On Roosevelt Road, there’s Bodhi Thai Bistro, Double Olives Martini Bar, the Friendly Tap, Wishbone, FitzGerald’s, the brand new Buona Beef, Gina’s Italian Ice, Horrible’s, and J-Wok Chinese Kitchen for sushi. I see that corridor vastly improving after the new streetscape gets put in next year. South Oak Park and North Berwyn have improved, so if the corridor is made to be more walkable, I think it will really take off.

And if that’s not good enough for one’s eclectic tastes, there’s Forest Park’s Madison St. about a Peyton Manning pass away from Roosevelt, and Oak Park’s Lake St. about 5 minutes down Oak Park Ave. or Harlem. And my wife and I frequently walk to downtown Riverside (Chew Chew Café or Calvetti’s martini bar) from south Berwyn. Heck, even Cermak Rd. has a Tapas place, as well as the Berwyn National Bank Building at Oak Park and Cermak, which is being restored and should end up with a pretty nice restaurant when finished. And of course don't forget the 16th St. Theater, which has been putting out some pretty good plays, and FitzGerald's, Harlem Ave. Lounge and Friendly Tap for live music.

And the beat goes on. I mean, I’m not sitting here saying that Berwyn is like Lakeview, which apparently is what some expect. But, I mean, “poor” for retail opportunities and cultural amenities? I’d say on the higher end of average, and starting to approach above average.

So hang in there trooper. You will soon get your Ethiopian-Latin fusion. I can feel it!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,632,554 times
BRU67-- looks like a humdrum strip mall, but do you know what stores are going in just south of Roosevelt on the west side of Harlem in Berwyn?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,472,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
BRU67-- looks like a humdrum strip mall, but do you know what stores are going in just south of Roosevelt on the west side of Harlem in Berwyn?
That's in Forest Park actually. If we're thinking of the same one, it replaced that dreadful old medical supply building that stood vacant for like 5 years and had all kinds of weird plant life and mold growing in it according to nearby residents, hehe.

I don't know what's going in there or if it's even leased out yet. It's still under construction and I haven't seen any "coming soon" signs or anything like that. Pretty tough time to put in a new strip mall but it's a darn sight better than what was there.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,632,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
That's in Forest Park actually. If we're thinking of the same one, it replaced that dreadful old medical supply building that stood vacant for like 5 years and had all kinds of weird plant life and mold growing in it according to nearby residents, hehe.

I don't know what's going in there or if it's even leased out yet. It's still under construction and I haven't seen any "coming soon" signs or anything like that. Pretty tough time to put in a new strip mall but it's a darn sight better than what was there.
You're right, Forest Park. Probably a dollar store, a currency exchange, a Curves, another dollar store, plus additional space to be leased (a dollar store). It's good to at least see some activity there.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 AM

214 posts, read 546,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You're right, Forest Park. Probably a dollar store, a currency exchange, a Curves, another dollar store, plus additional space to be leased (a dollar store). It's good to at least see some activity there.
Don't forget a nail salon. Gotta have one of those.

I actually think Berwyn is pretty cool. If I were looking at buying a first house, that's where I'd look.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 AM

85 posts, read 398,848 times
So now that I've read the entire 17... I did some research on the area. You all have attracted my attention to the area.

I live in Elmwood Park, and find it a tad expensive for what you get for the money. Especially when I saw our property tax bill. Someone mentioned homes with more character in Berwyn, so I took a look at what's for sale online. Pretty nice homes - many resemble that of Oak Park. 250k will get you a nicely done rehab.

Does anyone know the property tax % rate there?

One thing I read upsetting...the 'spindle' was torn down! For a Walgreens??

Last edited by Pebbs78; 03-05-2010 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs