Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 12:43 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post

I know this post was some weeks ago. But I thought about it.

I realized that Country Club Hills does not have a shooting every week. Neither does Hazel Crest. Hell none of the suburbs that even border CCH have any of the nonsense you claim happens. They were all just isolated incidents. Things happen sometimes. Where do you plan to live that does not have crime? I hope you find out and tell us where that is! *rolling eyes*

I hate to say it, but the honest truth is that people do not want to live in a suburb that has a large minority population. People like you, who take isolated incidents and blow them way out of proportion are just sad. I think that I am seeing a trend here (excuse me if I'm late on this) and I don't care about a moderator cut, but whites will move out to the middle of nowhere just to avoid blacks and latinos. It does not matter how well I keep up my home, how nice I am, how nice my friends are, they will want to leave. I cannot help how I look. I did not choose my skin color when I was conceived.

I do know that if I were white, no one would even look at me twice when I'm at Walt's. No one would care if I rode down their so-called "exclusive street" in Orland Park, or Flossmoor. I cannot believe people are leaving behind such a gems like Flossmoor , Country Club Hills, Olympia Fields, Glenwood, and Homewood because of their fear of some damn minorities, who want the American Dream just like everyone else. I'm tired of having to prove myself to everyone all the ^&$### time!

I throw in the towel
Unfortunately you have a point there. Idk about the rest of the country, but the Midwest have a serious problem when it comes to white flight and segregation. I think that is a huge downfall on the Midwest and why some people on the Coasts look down upon it. Out of all the south suburbs, Harvey was among the first to experience white flight way back in the 60s & 70s. My grandparents moved to Harvey from the city in the 60s, they actually had there house built. My grandparents told me stories how they literally seen sell signs popping up from white homeowners. The white flight in the south suburbs got way out of hand. Its almost a division line using the I-57 expressway to seperate the predominately black/latino suburbs from the white suburbs. Flossmoor & Homewood look like its hanging fairly well in integration.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 AM

274 posts, read 709,019 times
Chicagoland60426-deechee, do we really want people like that to live in our communities anyway? If it takes this much to convince them that our areas are decent with wonderful neighbors and well kept homes and they still think of them as hell holes, then F*** them. Deechee you love CCH and I myself have learned so much positive things about the town from you than I have in ten years. Yes, this area has it's problems, but so does every region of Chicagoland. Heck, Matteson, Glenwood, Lynwood,CCH,etc. all look better than some areas of NWI. (Portage, Griffin, Hammond) I rather live near decent section 8 than some snobbish, stuck-up, trash that frowns at you just because of your skin color.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Smile Gee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
Chicagoland60426-deechee, do we really want people like that to live in our communities anyway? If it takes this much to convince them that our areas are decent with wonderful neighbors and well kept homes and they still think of them as hell holes, then F*** them. Deechee you love CCH and I myself have learned so much positive things about the town from you than I have in ten years. Yes, this area has it's problems, but so does every region of Chicagoland. Heck, Matteson, Glenwood, Lynwood,CCH,etc. all look better than some areas of NWI. (Portage, Griffin, Hammond) I rather live near decent section 8 than some snobbish, stuck-up, trash that frowns at you just because of your skin color.

I must agree. I'd rather live here than -anywhere- in Indiana. I just like Illinois too much. Plus, I'm training to be a teacher to give back to my community, and educate children; not use its resources and then move somewhere else after using it up. People have forgotten how to invest in what they live in, and that they cannot run away every time they see change. Sometimes, change can be good.

I wonder what the people of my generation will be like? Will they be as prejudiced as those who came before us? (People born before 1985) I wonder how they will face trouble that comes to their lives? By running away?

And I have to agree with you, I'd like to live around people like me, who are average and know what it's like to appreciate a hard earned dollar. I don't think I would even want to live in the North Shore communities. They are just not my type. I'm a very natural, no nonsense person. People up there are all about show, and telling people what they have, and such. I don't think that kind of environment is good for anyone, I don't give a damn how good the schools are. There's no character in towns like that.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 AM

85 posts, read 398,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Oak Park's issues with crime are largely from it's proximity to other high-crime areas, like Chicago's Austin neighborhood and Maywood/Bellwood. If you read the crime blotters, you'll see that very little of the criminal activity in Oak Park comes from within Oak Park.

I agree with you there. Let's also not forget 2 El lines that travel through the area, green/blue lines. Blue travels near 'K' town, a rough neighborhood.

I also remember exiting the Eisenhower at California, (Garfield Park?), heading north...I remember seeing someone openly smoke crack. Very sad area. Green line is near here.

Last edited by Pebbs78; 07-02-2009 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 10:54 AM

939 posts, read 2,379,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post

And I have to agree with you, I'd like to live around people like me, who are average and know what it's like to appreciate a hard earned dollar. I don't think I would even want to live in the North Shore communities. They are just not my type. I'm a very natural, no nonsense person. People up there are all about show, and telling people what they have, and such. I don't think that kind of environment is good for anyone, I don't give a damn how good the schools are. There's no character in towns like that.
from one no-nonsense, appreciate the value of a hard earned dollar, person to another.... I've enjoyed reading your perspective on the south suburbs, deechee, and then you have to go and say something like that. You don't want people to stereotype CCH, but then you go and do the same thing with the North Shore. Come on up for a visit, I'll show you around. It's not that bad.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,721 times
those with less than stellar reputations due to crime include: Aurora; Maywood; Bellwood; Ford Heights; Phoenix; Chicago Heights; and recently- Hanover Park.....

Old 07-02-2009, 12:41 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy King View Post
those with less than stellar reputations due to crime include: Aurora; Maywood; Bellwood; Ford Heights; Phoenix; Chicago Heights; and recently- Hanover Park.....
Exactly and add Harvey, Cicero, Joliet, and even Elgin

Old 07-02-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
from one no-nonsense, appreciate the value of a hard earned dollar, person to another.... I've enjoyed reading your perspective on the south suburbs, deechee, and then you have to go and say something like that. You don't want people to stereotype CCH, but then you go and do the same thing with the North Shore. Come on up for a visit, I'll show you around. It's not that bad.

I'm glad you've enjoyed reading my posts I hope I haven't tainted my reputation

I've been up yonder many times. I'm sorry - I don't have a Porshe, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, nor do I want one...

The homes are too big, and there's nothing reasonably priced to eat. Too much franchise and not enough mom and pop. I'm a simple woman (lifestyle).

Diversity is okay there, but I just don't think people like myself would fit in...It's not a bad place to live, but it's just not for me. Don't get me wrong

Old 07-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy King View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Exactly and add Harvey, Cicero, Joliet, and even Elgin

Sad, isn't it. Once nice small towns turn into something you'd never imagine.

I don't think Harvey has been much of anything in my entire lifetime. I'm pretty young, so that may not count
It would still be nice to see a rejuvenation (???)

I hope my favorites (Glenwood, Lynwood, CC Hills,Flossmoor, Homewood, Tinley Park) don't go that route!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:07 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
In some strange way I kind of like this Dechee. If you ever decide to come back to Beverly there is a nice deal on my block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs