Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
Discrimination in naperville? Naperville has large Asian population, how come discrimination is an issue there?
Naperville's Asian population was 15.65% as of the 2000 Census. I guess I'd define that as large. But, in any case, there is a considerable difference in perception between Asians and African-Americans and Hispanics in the eyes of the general Caucasian public in the Chicagoland area. Communities with large Hispanic populations are often slammed, on this very board, as being gang infested and crime ridden heck holes despite the fact that their crime rates may be lower than some more respected communities (e.g. Cicero v. Oak Park -- guess which has the lower crime rate?). Communities which are seeing increases in African-Americans are being taken over by "Section 8" (code word). Communities with large Asian populations, by contrast, are not subject to the same type of scorn. Fair or not, this is the way things are around here.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:55 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Naperville's Asian population was 15.65% as of the 2000 Census. I guess I'd define that as large. But, in any case, there is a considerable difference in perception between Asians and African-Americans and Hispanics in the eyes of the general Caucasian public in the Chicagoland area. Communities with large Hispanic populations are often slammed, on this very board, as being gang infested and crime ridden heck holes despite the fact that their crime rates may be lower than some more respected communities (e.g. Cicero v. Oak Park -- guess which has the lower crime rate?). Communities which are seeing increases in African-Americans are being taken over by "Section 8" (code word). Communities with large Asian populations, by contrast, are not subject to the same type of scorn. Fair or not, this is the way things are around here.
this is a fair statement, and while the truth can hurt, it is still the truth. Asians are a great asset to any community as they bring a great sense of family, the majority of them are highly educated- and for the most part, they are not associated with prisons/gangs. Can't seem to say the same for other minority groups. You will find large Asian populations in many highly regarded areas, such as Naperville and Oak Brook. They very rarely use section 8 or other freebies. Gotta respect them as a whole. Wish I could say every other group could copy the acts of the Asians.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
this is a fair statement, and while the truth can hurt, it is still the truth. Asians are a great asset to any community as they bring a great sense of family, the majority of them are highly educated- and for the most part, they are not associated with prisons/gangs. Can't seem to say the same for other minority groups. You will find large Asian populations in many highly regarded areas, such as Naperville and Oak Brook. They very rarely use section 8 or other freebies. Gotta respect them as a whole. Wish I could say every other group could copy the acts of the Asians.
That's a bit of an overgeneralization aimed at the the people of the largest and most populous continent in the world. Could you paint with a broader brush stroke?

And to believers in the "model minority", I point to Asian gangs in Uptown and the organized crime and heinous human trafficking trade in Thailand. Many immigrants from Laos and Viet Nam have been struggling in the U.S. for decades to get a foothold on the economic ladder. It's not all Oak Brook Cul-de-sacs and Mathelete Meets for Asian immigrants in the U.S.

But yeah, most people seem to generally think of Asians as "white" in terms of what they do for property values, etc. And the success of MOST Asian immigrants in the United States is the likely reason, though attitudes weren't always so accepting.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
That's a bit of an overgeneralization aimed at the the people of the largest and most populous continent in the world. Could you paint with a broader brush stroke?

And to believers in the "model minority", I point to Asian gangs in Uptown and the organized crime and heinous human trafficking trade in Thailand. Many immigrants from Laos and Viet Nam have been struggling in the U.S. for decades to get a foothold on the economic ladder. It's not all Oak Brook Cul-de-sacs and Mathelete Meets for Asian immigrants in the U.S.

But yeah, most people seem to generally think of Asians as "white" in terms of what they do for property values, etc. And the success of MOST Asian immigrants in the United States is the likely reason, though attitudes weren't always so accepting.
Asians' crime rings(organized or street gangs) are a mere fraction of other minorities contribution to criminal activities in the U.S. IN fact, visit any prison in the U.S., federal or state, and you will rarely see an Asian. Why is this you may ask, when they represent such a large group. This is because most Asians come to this country with education backing them. They have the desire to work and earn an honest dollar. As I stated before, they rarely have there hands out begging for freebies. And most come from good family structure- Their fathers rarely flee when the going gets tough like some other minority groups. I would take an Asian family as my neighbor any day of the week.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
Asians' crime rings(organized or street gangs) are a mere fraction of other minorities contribution to criminal activities in the U.S. IN fact, visit any prison in the U.S., federal or state, and you will rarely see an Asian. Why is this you may ask, when they represent such a large group. This is because most Asians come to this country with education backing them. They have the desire to work and earn an honest dollar. As I stated before, they rarely have there hands out begging for freebies. And most come from good family structure- Their fathers rarely flee when the going gets tough like some other minority groups. I would take an Asian family as my neighbor any day of the week.
You do realize that the Korean mafia is one of the largest criminal organizations in the Chicago area, right? If you don't believe me, open up a Sun-Times sports section and look at the ads on the bottom. All massage parlors, all mob owned. I live in Houston and let me tell you something. Many of the Asians here are illegals. They don't have any desire to learn English, take the freebies and wind up pregnant by 10th grade. Asians here on worker's visas are exactly as you stated. Guess what? So are Hispanics on worker's visas. I'm sorry, your view of Asians sounds so generalized and stereotypical that it could only come from someone who never stepped foot out of a town like Oak Brook or Naperville.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You do realize that the Korean mafia is one of the largest criminal organizations in the Chicago area, right? If you don't believe me, open up a Sun-Times sports section and look at the ads on the bottom. All massage parlors, all mob owned. I live in Houston and let me tell you something. Many of the Asians here are illegals. They don't have any desire to learn English, take the freebies and wind up pregnant by 10th grade. Asians here on worker's visas are exactly as you stated. Guess what? So are Hispanics on worker's visas. I'm sorry, your view of Asians sounds so generalized and stereotypical that it could only come from someone who never stepped foot out of a town like Oak Brook or Naperville.
Actually, I work in law enforcement in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, and I can honestly tell u that I have never experienced Asian criminals. Just come and visit Cook County Jail, or Statesville - or even the federal pens. Where are all the Asians. I also have many friends that work for ICE or INS, and they will never mention Asians as a problem. You cannot even compare them to the other minority groups. So when you mention these Organized crime figures, I just laugh, as they represent such a small fraction of our problems. When was the last time you heard of a drive by shooting that involved an Asian. Furthermore, in Chicago, they represent less than 1% of section 8 recipients. SO my experience goes a little deeper than a subdivision in Oak Brook. What do your personal experiences in Houston have anything to do with an Illinois thread. Why are you on this thread anyway? I guess not enough going on in Houston?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:18 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
i just think it is a lost cause to compare the crime committed by koreans to that of hispanic or black gangs. look at the murder rates and neighborhoods in chicago for specifics. especially, look at the population statistics. it just seems out of touch with reality.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 01-12-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 AM

Everyone knows that Asian-Americans commit proportionately fewer crimes than Blacks and Latinos. No one is denying that. But you just can't make blanket statements about the entire population of the most populous continent in the world. There are black surgeons and Asian pimps out there, and it's time to stop saying things like, "black people are like this and Asians are like that". People need to be judged on their individual merits.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Everyone knows that Asian-Americans commit proportionately fewer crimes than Blacks and Latinos. No one is denying that. But you just can't make blanket statements about the entire population of the most populous continent in the world. There are black surgeons and Asian pimps out there, and it's time to stop saying things like, "black people are like this and Asians are like that". People need to be judged on their individual merits.
True, there are good and bad in every race. But look at stats of who is committing violent crimes, such as murder and rapes, and certain minority groups dominate the stats. So to say that there are more black and Hispanic criminals in the U.S compared to other races, is not only fair, but sadly true. Liberals truly cant argue hard facts as much as they would like to.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:19 AM

As someone else pointed out, when you control for income and educational levels, the races all look a lot more equal. Race is not the most significant factor here, and you're failing to see that. You make a comment that "Asians as a whole" are a certain way and should be respected, and that's pretty silly. I'd like to see other factors than race enter the discussion. Instead of saying, "blacks are moving into ____, so the town is going downhill" (which is racist), you could say "poor, uneducated blacks are moving into ____, so the town is going downhill". The first statement blames the problems only on race, while the second statement points to at least a couple real factors that may raise crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs