Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 10:41 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I look more at who is moving in than who currently lives there. Is there more of a racial balance in the recent arrivals, particular among young families, or is the 81 heading to 100 fast??

I'm one of those who prefers a racially and somewhat socio-economically mixed area, and even moreso the types of people who also prefer such an area. Not sure why but life gets boring fast when everyone else is a boring middle class white dude like myself.
You can find that balance here but it depends largely on where in the town you want to live. In the middle of trees and wild flowers? Near a main street and lots of shopping?

It is not moving to 100 anytime soon. All races are welcome here, and it's very obvious.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 AM

Smile Just to be sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
how heavily black is CCH? How does it compare in that respect to HC?

I would definitely recommend CCH over Hazel Crest. It has become a little strange these days...

Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
I look more at who is moving in than who currently lives there. Is there more of a racial balance in the recent arrivals, particular among young families, or is the 81 heading to 100 fast??

I'm one of those who prefers a racially and somewhat socio-economically mixed area, and even moreso the types of people who also prefer such an area. Not sure why but life gets boring fast when everyone else is a boring middle class white dude like myself.
I know schools are over 90% black like every other area where the demographics reach at least 30% black. I think the diversity are coming from the hispanics, recent Africans(mainly Nigerians), and Caribbeans moving in the area. I notice that the South Suburbs have a African & Caribbean presence.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:49 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
I personally wouldn't put my kids in schools that are so black. On average there are big cultural differences between how I raise them and what I've seen even in the middle-class black community. I'd be fighting upstream too much. Lab school is good for me because by and large the other semi-neurotic parents do things pretty much like I do. Makes life easy.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Default Lol

Quote:
I personally wouldn't put my kids in schools that are so black. On average there are big cultural differences between how I raise them and what I've seen even in the middle-class black community. I'd be fighting upstream too much. Lab school is good for me because by and large the other semi-neurotic parents do things pretty much like I do. Makes life easy.

I agree. That's why if I had children, they'd more than likely attend private school. There are some good private schools here.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
Hazel Crest.
Oh Then I say CCH is better. Hazel Crest do have some nice Subdivision parts.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:20 PM

274 posts, read 709,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I know schools are over 90% black like every other area where the demographics reach at least 30% black. I think the diversity are coming from the hispanics, recent Africans(mainly Nigerians), and Caribbeans moving in the area. I notice that the South Suburbs have a African & Caribbean presence.
REALLY? Thats good. I seen a lot down in Orlando when me and my family went to Disney 2 weeks ago. Also saw a lot of Caribbean mixed with hispanics. Couldn't understand what they were saying though...

Old 06-19-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
REALLY? Thats good. I seen a lot down in Orlando when me and my family went to Disney 2 weeks ago. Also saw a lot of Caribbean mixed with hispanics. Couldn't understand what they were saying though...
Yep, I notice it when going to South Suburban College and there is a noticeable presence of West African(mainly Nigerians) and West Indie students in the school. Some of the Nigerians I heard spoke Yoruba. My 11th grade math teacher was Ghanaian, he live in CCH.

From 2000 city-data ancestry census
Olympia Fields- 5.3% Sub Saharan African
CCH- 3.4% Sub Saharan African, 1.6% West Indie
HC- 2.2% Saharan African
Cal City- 1.7% Saharan African
Dolton- 2.6% Saharan African
University Park- 2.6% West Indie
Glenwood- 4.8% Saharan African
Flossmoor- 2% immigrants came from Africa

I also heard Bolingbrook have a Nigerian or West Indie population too.

And Evanston, IL is 4.6% West Indie. It might not be much compare to DC and NYC, but its increasing.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 06-19-2009 at 03:45 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 PM

Angry My gosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Um, yeah. Scared to live amongst the murderers.

You know, the people who murdered FIVE people in in CC Hills a week and a half earlier this year?

I know this post was some weeks ago. But I thought about it.

I realized that Country Club Hills does not have a shooting every week. Neither does Hazel Crest. Hell none of the suburbs that even border CCH have any of the nonsense you claim happens. They were all just isolated incidents. Things happen sometimes. Where do you plan to live that does not have crime? I hope you find out and tell us where that is! *rolling eyes*

I hate to say it, but the honest truth is that people do not want to live in a suburb that has a large minority population. People like you, who take isolated incidents and blow them way out of proportion are just sad. I think that I am seeing a trend here (excuse me if I'm late on this) and I don't care about a moderator cut, but whites will move out to the middle of nowhere just to avoid blacks and latinos. It does not matter how well I keep up my home, how nice I am, how nice my friends are, they will want to leave. I cannot help how I look. I did not choose my skin color when I was conceived.

I do know that if I were white, no one would even look at me twice when I'm at Walt's. No one would care if I rode down their so-called "exclusive street" in Orland Park, or Flossmoor. I cannot believe people are leaving behind such a gems like Flossmoor , Country Club Hills, Olympia Fields, Glenwood, and Homewood because of their fear of some damn minorities, who want the American Dream just like everyone else. I'm tired of having to prove myself to everyone all the ^&$### time!

I throw in the towel

Last edited by deechee; 06-30-2009 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: more anger!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 AM

274 posts, read 709,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I know this post was some weeks ago. But I thought about it.

I realized that Country Club Hills does not have a shooting every week. Neither does Hazel Crest. Hell none of the suburbs that even border CCH have any of the nonsense you claim happens. They were all just isolated incidents. Things happen sometimes. Where do you plan to live that does not have crime? I hope you find out and tell us where that is! *rolling eyes*

I hate to say it, but the honest truth is that people do not want to live in a suburb that has a large minority population. People like you, who take isolated incidents and blow them way out of proportion are just sad. I think that I am seeing a trend here (excuse me if I'm late on this) and I don't care about a moderator cut, but whites will move out to the middle of nowhere just to avoid blacks and latinos. It does not matter how well I keep up my home, how nice I am, how nice my friends are, they will want to leave. I cannot help how I look. I did not choose my skin color when I was conceived.

I do know that if I were white, no one would even look at me twice when I'm at Walt's. No one would care if I rode down their so-called "exclusive street" in Orland Park, or Flossmoor. I cannot believe people are leaving behind such a gems like Flossmoor , Country Club Hills, Olympia Fields, Glenwood, and Homewood because of their fear of some damn minorities, who want the American Dream just like everyone else. I'm tired of having to prove myself to everyone all the ^&$### time!

I throw in the towel
Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs