Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,612,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity7774 View Post
If I could live anywhere (after living all over the place) I would choose Elk Grove Village. I grew up there and after getting older and living in many other places. I wish I could afford to live there now. There is NO better town in my eyes! Best schools, best houses, best shopping, best park district, etc. EXCELLENT town to raise your kids!! Too bad I'm stuck in Oak Lawn and prices won't go up. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr
WOW-"no better town""best schools,shopping,park district??!!??!!-I have not heard such praises heaped on EGV before.Are you sure you arent the mayorGlad you love your hometown though

Old 09-05-2007, 09:35 PM

11 posts, read 63,143 times
what is villa park like?

Old 09-06-2007, 08:33 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labnu View Post
what is villa park like?
Semi-decent. Some parts are ok, others leave something to be desired. Its strip-mall hell and the traffic sucks, especially along North Avenue. Its a very diverse area, and I dont hear anything bad coming from the town, so I suppose its ok. The only reason I go to Villa Park is to hit up the car parts store, the junkyards, and the Odeum.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:25 PM

5 posts, read 13,101 times
Evanston
Oak Park
Naperville
These areas have more active downtowns

Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 AM

34 posts, read 39,665 times
naperville, Wheaton, elmhurst, glen ellyn, hinsdale

Old 09-09-2007, 08:42 AM

180 posts, read 408,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I would look into Plainfield. Its a very nice area that is growing tremendously. Nice place to raise a family, close to Naperville, decent schools, and your $350K housing dollars will go much further in Plainfield than a lot of other suburbs.
i think $350k will buy half of plainfield!

but, yes, deffinately a cheap place (as of right now) and is fairly close to the good schools in naperville.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
Hi guys,

I am looking to find the best suburbs outside of Chicago. We may be moving into the area. My husband would work some place in Chicago..though i am not exactly sure where.
I am looking for what a lot of others want...low crime, good schools, nice area.

What neighborhoods should I begin with my research? What is the housing like in chicago? I live in Maryland now, where the housing is outrageous...is it a similar market? Or will I get a little more for my money in the chicago area.

Honestly, what are the negatives and positives of the area? Crime, weather, the people, the traffic, the schools?

Thank you so much for your advice!!
Here is a bit of advice to help you with our ever floundering housing market. You will want to buy in an area where property values are still reasonable or on the low side, but are expected to rise quickly, this way you can build up a nice bit of equity in your home in a relatively short amount of time. Right now though with the condition of the housing market, nobody is really making out like bandits as they were 5 years ago, so you need to consider other factors that will make an area very enticing to potential home buyers and nowhere is more enticing in the Chicago area right now than the land that is near the much awaited I-355 extension. Homes, subdivisions, Super Wal Marts, shopping plazas, and office buildings are popping up like dandelions in the 355 area making the area a potential gold mine to homeowners. Here is a link to better inform you about the 355 extension by allowing you to watch a video. ABC7Chicago.com: End of construction for I-355 extension in sight

Old 09-23-2007, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,973 times
Can anyone give me some advice on the best places to livre right outside of the city?
I'm not sure that I want to venture back into the burbs.Our daughter is in high school, so we'll be empty nesters in about three years; so we would like to find a place that would provide great schoolong for our daughter, and also a city feel for us..Any advice?

Old 09-23-2007, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 10,973 times
Default Miserable in Florida

Can anyone give me advice on the best places to live right outside of the city?
I'm not sure that I want to venture back into the burbs. Our daughter is in high school, so we'll be empty nesters in about three years; so we would like to find a place that would provide great schoolong for our daughter, and also a city feel for us..Any advice?

Old 09-23-2007, 02:17 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,612,132 times
Evanston or Oak Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs