Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2007, 01:50 PM

19 posts, read 89,906 times

Advertisements

Yes. There's a train from Naperville to Union Sation. The commuter trains are called the Metra. Go to the metra website and get a schedule. metrarail.com

It probably takes around an hour on the train (unless it's an express). That may seem like a long time, but around here that's just a fact of life. Driving would be much longer. Once in the city you can take the "L" to virtually anywhere.

In the city, you're not gonna have a short trek to work either. You'd still have to walk to and from (Unless you happen to find a place right next to your work. Not likely). You'd still have to wait for the trains and with all of the other people, this can be a lengthy process.

Optimally, you could have a flex shift. Arrive after the people have commuted and leave after. Or vice versa.

Bad areas between Naperville and the city?

hmmmm......no. Around the city, it's a little dicey. Normally people don't get off the train at an earlier stop though.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 7,852 times
Hi...Please feel free call me if I can help you learn more about your new city-to-be . I am an East Coast transplant, but have been in the north suburban Chicago area for 25 years now and absolutely love it. I've lived and worked in several towns, raise my kids here, wrote for homes and real estate sections for the Chicago Tribune for 18 years, and have been one of the top realtors on the North Shore for the past 8 years. I work with relocation clients all the time, and if I don't know a town well enough to show it, I can refer you to someone that does. Chicago in many ways reminds me of a kindler, gentler NYC, where I grew up, and the weather is similar. A few weeks each winter, like now, it gets very cold but its tolerable and so many benefits offset it. NYC has actually had worse winters than us these past few years. I think kids actually wish we got more snow like our neighbors to the north in Wisconsin, where most of the skiiing is!

The north suburbs are particular well known for their public schools and lakefront recreation, and they are as beautiful as towns in Maryland I have seen, with lots of history and programs, organizations to join.

If you are interested in more information, feel free to contact me:
Julie Morse, Griffith Grant & Lackie Realtors, Lake Forest, Illinois
(847) 283-0792 x 228.

In any case, rest assured that you will find a happy place to land here. Its a great and very accessible city with many great suburbs, with wonderful amenities and recreational/cultural opportunities. Good luck to you, and be confident its a great move!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:58 PM

49 posts, read 320,234 times
Question Batavia?

We're relocating to Chicago and I'll be working at the VA in Maywood. I'm considering living in Batavia or possibly Geneva. What's the scoop on those areas. We're really leaning toward Batavia at this point based on what we've seen online. Is there any down-side to Batavia?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Old 02-12-2007, 09:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWKEN View Post
We're relocating to Chicago and I'll be working at the VA in Maywood. I'm considering living in Batavia or possibly Geneva. What's the scoop on those areas. We're really leaning toward Batavia at this point based on what we've seen online. Is there any down-side to Batavia?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken
Batavia is very similar to Geneva and St. Charles in the fact that theyre all along the Fox River and their downtowns straddle the river. Batavia is a bit more run-down than Geneva or St. Charles, but its not a bad town. There are a few areas of town that are run down, particularly south of Butterfield Rd off of Rt.25, but the neighborhoods are by no means dangerous, just kinda decrepit. The upside is that real estate is cheaper in Batavia than Geneva or St. Charles. The schools arent as highly rated as G or StC, but theyre not horrible. Shopping/dining/etc is better in G and StC, if that matters to you.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 PM

9 posts, read 44,042 times
Low Crime... I don't care about schools... No Kids with no plans for kids in this home. <30 minute commute to Olympia Fields. Cheap- 200K is my MAX (I'm a starving Student!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavewoman View Post
tell us what you rlooking for and we can help. Everyone has their opinion based on what they know.
Others have been there and done that, You should be able to get positive and negative and input from somone who has been somewhere a few years at least.

Bolingbrook is awesome....Tinley too pricey and congested.,
what do you need. Kids? Schools.... tell us what you need.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 38,507 times
Default Good Place to Live Near Oak Brook

I apologize for perhaps revisiting a topic, but here goes:

My husband is being transferred by his company to Oak Brook, IL - we found out yesterday, and he is starting there May 1. We have two children who are African-American, we are white - plus our son has special needs (he is blind). I've read in these forums that Oak Park is diverse, seems to be close to Oak Brook, but has problems with crime. Would any of you have suggestions for cities with good schools near Oak Brook that are racially diverse? I know Oak Brook has good schools, but it is not very diverse. We really don't want our children to stand out in school or in the city - right now, we live in Northern Virginia where it is very multi-cultural.

If it helps with suggestions, my son is in 8th grade and my daughter in 4th. (On a side note, when does school end there?)

Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:31 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,309 times
Default i'd still think about oak park

If diversity and a good school system is what you want, i still think you'd do well in Oak Park. You are not going to "stand out" with your family there. it borders on a not so good neighborhood of Chicago on its eastern side, and that's why the crime stats are a bit higher (although if you check the website, still below the national average). If you're removed from the eastern/northeastern border the crime problems drop.

I think the elementary schools are k-5, 6-8th grades are middle school, and then high school.

Regardless of what you choose, if you're going to be in the area definitely drive through oak park and see what you think. it's easy to read on these boards "the high crime area near austin" and worry about it, but I drive through there often and the "blighted" neighborhood is beautiful, tree lined with pretty old houses and good people living there.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:23 PM

381 posts, read 842,298 times
I honestly find Midway kids very pretentious. They act like they're from the inner city when in reality they're just suburbanites. Technically they're a neighborhood of Chicago, but please, no one cares where they're from "MIDWAAAYY, woop, woop!" Give me a break.

Sorry about that rant. I'm from an unincorporated area, Nottingham, which is between Bridgeview and Garfield Ridge (Midway).

I would check out Oak Park, it seems very diverse, close to I-55 which leads to the Greater Chicago, and has good schools (Fenwick and Oak Park H.S.) Another place that you might want to look at would be Oak Lawn and Burbank. I have some friends that live there and it seems relatively safe, decent schools, and a nice "suburban" feel.

Last edited by nJohn; 03-15-2007 at 02:38 PM..

Old 03-20-2007, 10:59 AM

532 posts, read 1,231,644 times
Default Stick To Dupage

If you are going to live in the City the North side is alot nice than the southside. But if you are going to live in the suburbs make sure you go to Dupage. (unless you live on the lake on the north shore)

Compared to Cook and Lake county, Dupage has lower unemployment rate, higher home values, higher household income, and a higher educated popuation. And MUCH smaller percentage of registered sex offenders.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 7,423 times
Default Far South Burbs & Northern Burbs

I believe far as resonable pricing, good education, stable enviroment nothing ever happens in the southern burbs areas such as Hazel Crest, Homewood, Flossmor, Olympia Fields, and Tinely Park. Majority of people who live in these communities make at least 65+ a year. Certain areas of Homewood could be better.

East Hazel Crest is very nice new homes etc. I love Hazel Crest for their creeks, streams, and the beautiful local lake they have behind the hills. Very hilly area. Some parts don't even had side walks or street lights which make it a little hard to see at night. Only downside. Also, the teenagers again could be a bit better. Nonetheless, I have friends their they never have problems and they have one of the cutest gardens.

Tinely Park is a lovely little community to raise your children. The school system is the Bremen School District which is a rather stable school district. President Bill Clinton has invested tons of funds into the Bremen School District 228. Especially for Hazel Crest, Country Club Hills they have an amazing marching band. Their band director has won two golden apple awards.

Homewood is probably the most beautiful little neighborhood ever. Homewood is very diverse and it's upbeat and has a very southern comforting small town vibe that's just fabulous. It's a wonderful place to raise your children. Only downside are the local teenagers who enjoy skateboarding.

Flossmoor is expensive but well worth it. The education system is probably the best out of all the far southern burbs. I believe that they have some of the most beautiful houses too.

Matteson is also another fabulous place to raise your children. I would live in the butterfield hils area. Houses range 250-650 grand. However, it's well worth it.

======================& NOW NORTHERN BURBS
I believe that Skokie is highly overrated. It's like the trash of the northern burbs.

Evanston - Beautiful little upbeat urban suburban vibe. I love how close they are to the lake not to mention the train system for Chicago is close by. Great perks far as location.

Wilmette - Winnekta - Glencoe - Lake Forest - ALL THESE NORTHERN BURBS are fabulous. They're expensive but they're downside is that they are so close to "NORTH CHICAGO." Which is absolutely the worse. Probably worse then Chicago. I deeply suggest you make sure you're in the inwards parts verses the outwards.

SCHAMBURG - THE NEW GHETTO anyone from here is probably mexican.

Hoffman Estates - Another new Ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs